Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Had a hair raising ride last night

3K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  Terryj 
#1 ·
Decided to go visit my Dad who is in a nursing home in Columbus Kansas yesterday. I rode the Goldwing as it was a beautiful afternoon when I left. I was sitting there and heard thunder so decided to go out and bring my helmet in. Looked at the radar on my phone and decided to cut the visit short and head home before the weather got really bad. Started raining as I left but not hard. I needed gas when I got to Carl Junction so I stopped. When I got my helmet off the air just felt weird, kind of electric like so I gassed up quickly and headed out. Looked at the weather ap and noticed a very red cloud on the radar behind me. Needless to say, I fractured a few speed laws leaving.

Carol texted me with the message that said "very large tornado at north Joplin" which was due south of me about 20 miles. I decided to go north for a while to stay ahead of all this. When I got to Lamar, Carol texted and said tornado at Nevada which was due north of me so I turned east on Hwy 160. Went thru Golden City, Lockwood and at Greenfield turned north to head towards Stockton. Turned east at Stockton on Hwy 32. Headed to Bolivar. Had to rest for a bit at a gas station in Bolivar and got the same air feeling I got earlier in Carl Junction. Turned north toward home. Got home in about 20 minutes, walked in to the TV saying a tornado was heading to Bolivar.

The TV news was saying there were 3 fatalities in Golden City just a few minutes after I went thru there. The TV showed video footage of a Tornado hitting Carl Junction about 2 minutes after I left there. I was sure glad to get home. I was so tired that when I finally went to bed I slept so hard it's a good thing the weather settled down or I might have joined Dorothy & Toto in Kansas and never even knew it. I don't recall ever sleeping that hard before.

See less See more
#4 ·
No kidding. I was just as calm, but all business, as I could be while riding. When I got home I had no idea how stressed out I was. Seemed like they were out to get me last night.

#10 ·
Yikes! Glad you made it home safe. Saw the pictures of Golden City last night on the news. I'm thankful we don't get too many of those things up here.

Reactions: alwims
#11 ·
Good to know you got home without any incident.

Two hours going and two coming back. Afterward, did you feel like you could have ridden farther. Hmmm. I guess the stress would make that difficult to estimate. Oh well. Wishful thinking.

Stay safe, Bubba. Say hi to Carol for me.

Reactions: alwims
#12 ·
Al, Glad you made , we were in the shelter yesterday evening watch a hook go right over the top of my house, sirens everywhere blasting all ,
out, then It got real still but hook stay up until just north of me then came down. Almost to the ground.

Im ready to move back to the panhandle.

#15 ·
I forgot to post, I guess I was really flying as a few days later I looked at my GPS and the highest recorded speed was 102mph.

Attachments

Reactions: Luv2fish and Chopin
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.