Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

My new 2017 BROKEN!

10K views 51 replies 16 participants last post by  liflyboy 
#1 ·
We finally made the deal for the 2017 leftover/demo bike. At 22k out the door, I think it was a good deal. You may disagree. We signed all the paperwork Friday morning, they said they'd have it ready Friday night, and it was. We still have lots of stuff that needs to be ordered/installed, but I picked up the bike on Friday night.

I drove the bike to our GWRRA rally on Saturday, and loved it.

Sunday morning, I jumped on the bike to go back to the dealer to pick up some more stuff that was on/in my old bike.
I drove about 3 miles, cruising along at about 50, and the engine makes a loud grinding/vibrating sound, and stalls. I coast to the side of the road, and park it. I called the dealer, and he comes out to get me with his truck. We get to the dealer. We start the bike, it takes a little throttle for it to kick over, and it sounds like metal being gound up. He says it sounds like a valve. I agree, but it's hard to tell. We only ran it for about 3 seconds.

Now I am back to driving the Fat Boy, when I really wanted to be driving my new WING!!
So much for Goldwings being bulletproof. The bike has 395 miles on it. I only did about 40.

See less See more
#3 ·
Yeah, I thought of oil drain plug, but I only drove it home from the dealer on Friday night, maybe 15 miles, and I surely would have had some oil on the garage floor, and I also probably would have gotten some kind of warning light as I drove it on Saturday, and the oil pressure dropped to zero.

#4 ·
God Richie, after all that haggling and now this. Feel for ya man! The only time I recall a Wing swallowing a valve was on a 76 GL1000 with over 250 k on it...so no, it isn't a common occurrence.

#6 ·
Wonder if it can be the ADG (alternator drive gear) clip??? Haven't heard of any failing on late model bikes but it could be I guess...

#7 ·
I feel for you. My 2017 will be going in this winter so Honda can check the transmission to try and fix the reverse. Adjusting it to factory didn't work.

#8 ·
Ok experts, what do you think of this?
They are telling me that the "Cam chain came off". They don't know why. They took out every cylinder on the right side. I don't know yet what they are going to do to fix it, but they are saying a couple of weeks.

#9 ·
Sounds like the chain tensioner failed. Or one of the cam sprockets broke or fell off. Should be covered under warranty.

Reactions: budoka
#10 ·
I have no problem with the fact that it will be covered under warrantee. My problem is what caused it, and what will be done to ensure it never happens again.

Also, if it's going to take a couple of weeks to fix, I feel I'm entitled to some sort of compensation. I'm paying for a new bike and I'm not riding it. Either a loaner, or re-date the sale to the day I get the bike back.

#14 ·
I have no problem with the fact that it will be covered under warrantee. My problem is what caused it, and what will be done to ensure it never happens again.

Also, if it's going to take a couple of weeks to fix, I feel I'm entitled to some sort of compensation. I'm paying for a new bike and I'm not riding it. Either a loaner, or re-date the sale to the day I get the bike back.

Has the dealership got a demo bike you can ride in the meantime? That would only be fair in my line of thinking. I don't see any reason why they couldn't re-date the sale date either unless it causes an issue with the warranty claim and that could be.

#11 ·
Geez, Richie, did you tick off Marie Laveau the last time you were in New Orleans?

I agree with change the date of the sale, i.e. the start date/mileage of the warranty.

#12 ·
Crikey. That new tire valve has been a bugger hasn't it?!
I doubt they'll adjust the date, but certainly should give you a loaner bike..

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk

#13 ·
Here's the latest update. They took apart the whole right side of the engine, we need new valves, timing chain, head, sprocket, tensioner etc., They sent the request/pictures, etc to Honda yesterday, but too late for an answer. I'm still waiting to hear the answer today. If they have the parts, they'll overnight, and we can get the bike fixed. BUT, why would they stock those kind of parts for an engine that NEVER has a problem. If the parts are not in stock, then . . . .

#18 ·
Wow, this 2018 is a pretty damn awesome bike. It had 2 miles on it when I picked it up yesterday. Now they can keep my 2017 as long as they want. I'm in no hurry to give this one back.

In the meantime, we still don't have an answer from Honda as to whether they have the parts we need for the repair in stock. Hopefully hear this morning.

#20 ·
Thanks, Stratman. that helped. I still love the 2017. And will all the stuff I have attached to it, I really can't see myself going to the 2018. It sure is tempting, it's got some nice beeps and whistles, but by the time I add all the extras, like road pegs, armrests, backrest, Mount for CB (I don't like the Honda one) and mount for phone, Centramatic wheel balancers, Trailer Hitch, Air wings, Trunk rack, it'll cost me at least one lung and kidney. And that's if the stuff is even available for the 2018 yet.

No, I'm good with my 2017, once they get it fixed. Maybe in a few years, once they iron out the bugs, and the aftermarket people design all the accessories, and I hit that LOTTERY, . . . . .

#22 ·
Glad you dealer stepped up and gave you that demo. Helps keep the faith for sure. I could see myself on the new bike in a few years but not for some time to come that's for sure. Too many other irons in the fire to consider a replacement for what I have n't near worn out yet...

#23 ·
dang, i get obsessive/side-tracked about my boat project, and look what i miss! :surprise:

almost reminds me of my little car, when it was months new. i started getting grinding sounds, and vibration. turned out my flywheel -> crankshaft bolts all sheared off. it was covered by Chevy, but still. makes me nervous when i have to get it moving in a hurry, pulling into traffic.

i would say you were lucky that you could pull it over and get it stopped without a lockup!

~Travis

#24 ·
Latest update: Honda wants my dealer to tear down the entire engine, not just the right side that they already have. It will take at least 2 weeks, while they order tools for the job, and get it done. Once again, I'm not at all pleased. The dealer is really trying to help, but HONDA is being a pain in the neck. I talked to HONDA customer support this morning, with the case number the dealer gave me. They say there's nothing they can do. They have no spare engines to give me. They have to be 100% sure that whatever caused the problem will not happen again.

You'd think I'd be happy about driving a new 2018, but I'm not. I love the bike, except for the driving position. The dealer did install a back rest for me, but the bars are still to low and too far forward. Problem is, I can't do any modifications, or add the accessories I need, so I have:

No place to mount my GPS or Phone,
No passenger arm rests, so my wife can't ride with me,
No trunk rack, so I don't have anywhere to carry the extra clothes we need for a trip we planned for this weekend.
No trailer hitch.
No road pegs for me or her.
No drink holders.
No CB. I rode with SCRC yesterday, and had NO communication!
No Air Wings.

If I had MY new bike, I'd have all this stuff already installed and I'd be happy. I DON'T, so I'm NOT.

Thanks for reading my vent.

#25 ·
I know how you feel . I will be taking my 2017 gl1800 in this winter to have the engine torn down so they can find out what is wrong with the reverse. I did get them to hold off until winter, but no loaner.

#29 ·
Granted the problem is not as severe as yours but it still requires a complete tear down of a new engine to hopefully find out what is wrong with the transmission. And hopefully they will find the problem.

#27 ·
I am not trying to be silly here but..............................the bike was not fit for purpose so why have they not just replace your bike with a new bike? Then it will not matter how long they want to play with it.

#28 ·
Sadly that isn't how it works here. Once you buy it you are stuck with it no matter how bad it is. The Lemon Laws don't seem to apply to motorcycles.

#30 ·
Lemon Law is when you have the same problem 3 times and it's not fixed, or recurs. I'm pretty sure it applies to all motor vehicles, including bikes. Let's hope it doesn't go that far!!

I don't know how easy it would be to find a leftover 2017, in RED, to replace the bike, but, unfortunately, that's not the way warranties work. There is no recourse except to get it fixed, even if it had 1 mile on it and I was driving out of their driveway.

#33 ·
PA Lemon Law
PROCEDURES
The Pennsylvania Automobile Lemon Law applies to any new vehicle purchased or leased and registered in
Pennsylvania or purchased or leased elsewhere and registered for the first time in the
commonwealth for personal, family or household use including a vehicle used by a manufacturer or dealer as a demonstrator or
dealer vehicle prior to its sale and designed to transport up to 15 persons.
Motorcycles, motor homes, and off road vehicles are not included

#31 · (Edited)
Money's Worth -

Hey Richie - With Honda's reputation for quality and reliability there has to have been a serious issue involved to produce such a major catastrophic failure with your 2017 GW in only 400 miles. From years of experience building 911 Porsche engines for the track and personal cars, their timing chains/gears/hydraulic pressure tensioners and guide ramp design has proven to be bullet proof - EXCEPT for when an engine is reved way past it's safe RPM red line. Honda's set up is virtually identical.

I realize that I don't have a dog in this hunt but there is no way of knowing if some over eager Gomer Pyle didn't miss a shift during a demo-test ride or just horsing around didn't pull a series of Mario Andretti runs between red lights. (Although he was a world famous Grand Prix driver - Mario often bragged that the motorcycle tires on his personal bikes never lasted more than a few weeks).

After Honda repairs your basic timing chain issue, the internal wear and tear on everything else may not show up for many miles. Just for peace of mind if I'd plunked down $22k, Honda should swap out the drive train to assure that I got my money's worth.

Ride Safe - Michael
French Camp Natchez Trace

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.