ABS Brakes - Page 2 - Honda Goldwing Forums
 1Likes

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 02:29 PM

I know this is an older thread, but I have a question for the expert GWer's out there. During the process of buying a new Wing, initially I was dead set on a Level 3 with ABS. I had ABS on my 2011 Street Glide and thought it was a very important safety feature. A couple of dealers I was working with convinced me that the integrated braking system on the Wing is so exceptional that most people will not spend the extra money for Level 3. So I dropped down to a Level 1, because I couldn't see spending $2,500 for navigation when I can buy a portable GPS for $100. Would you be so kind to give me your feedback on the integrated brakes versus ABS? Thanks.

"The journey is never a direct route; it is circuitous, and somewhere along the way, we discover that the journey is more significant than the destination, and the people we meet will be traveling companions of our memories forever." N. Demille
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 03:20 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
I've had my ABS kick in twice. Both times have been when someone has pulled out or turned in front of me. Both times were on dry pavement, both times were definitely panic stops. Both times I believe the ABS prevented me from either hitting them or going down. It made be a believer.

Mike Harrison
'12 Blue GL1800 level 3
'06 Moto Guzzi Breva 1100
IDMWT#74
DD #1657

Exercise?!?
I thought you said Extra Fries...

Last edited by Slygrin; 06-02-2015 at 04:28 PM.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 03:29 PM
Administrator

Garage
While all the GL1800's have linked brakes (all controls operate all the brake systems to some degree regardless of which control is activated) the ABS system is combined and linked, meaning the ABS functions on all brakes regardless of which control is activated as well. Explaining it gets a bit complicated but the combined system still gives you the advantages of ABS regardless of control activation. Most systems don't do that; lever controls front and pedal controls rear. In the bikes that have linked systems that don't combine, then ABS is either limited or not there at all. For example V-Stroms have ABS, but stomping on the rear pedal alone eliminates ABS on the rear brake and a full application of pedal force will induce a skidding rear wheel.
You'll never notice ABS until you need it and its not there.
TwoIron, why down to level 1? The comfort package is really nice to have.

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 03:40 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slygrin View Post
I've had my ABS kick in twice. Both times have been when someone has pulled out or turned in front of me. Both times were on dry pavement, both time were definitely panic stops. Both times I believe the ABS prevented me from either hitting them or going down. It made be a believer.
+1 It has only happened to me once, and that is 1 time too many. The ABS worked flawlessly and the bike remained completely stable. It kept me alive in a situation where I could only brake as hard as I could. I somehow had the presence of mind to remember the ABS and just tried to mold the brake and clutch levers into the grips and break the pedal off.

Bob
2012 ABS "Red Ghost"
IDMWT 65
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budoka View Post
While all the GL1800's have linked brakes (all controls operate all the brake systems to some degree regardless of which control is activated) the ABS system is combined and linked, meaning the ABS functions on all brakes regardless of which control is activated as well. Explaining it gets a bit complicated but the combined system still gives you the advantages of ABS regardless of control activation. Most systems don't do that; lever controls front and pedal controls rear. In the bikes that have linked systems that don't combine, then ABS is either limited or not there at all. For example V-Stroms have ABS, but stomping on the rear pedal alone eliminates ABS on the rear brake and a full application of pedal force will induce a skidding rear wheel.
You'll never notice ABS until you need it and its not there.
TwoIron, why down to level 1? The comfort package is really nice to have.
Hey Budoka - thanks for the feedback. To answer your question, the Level 1 GW I am purchasing is the Comfort and Audio package. Level 2 added nav; Level 3 ABS, and Level 4 airbag.

"The journey is never a direct route; it is circuitous, and somewhere along the way, we discover that the journey is more significant than the destination, and the people we meet will be traveling companions of our memories forever." N. Demille
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slygrin View Post
I've had my ABS kick in twice. Both times have been when someone has pulled out or turned in front of me. Both times were on dry pavement, both time were definitely panic stops. Both times I believe the ABS prevented me from either hitting them or going down. It made be a believer.
I too have had to apply the brakes very hard a couple of times on my Harley whenever someone pulled out in front of me and the ABS worked very well. I just hope the integrated braking is as good as the dealers led me to believe.

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-02-2015, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoIron View Post
I too have had to apply the brakes very hard a couple of times on my Harley whenever someone pulled out in front of me and the ABS worked very well. I just hope the integrated braking is as good as the dealers led me to believe.

No dealer should ever even elude to the fact that integrated braking is anywhere's near as good as or a replacement for ABS.Don't get me wrong as I really like the linked brakes,but ABS IS A WHOLE OTHER LEVEL of control.In fact any ambulance chasing lawyer would have a hay day with a statement like that after you go out,lock up your wheels and dump your bike(if you live to sue).

The beauty part of ABS is if you're that good a rider(lots of riders think they are)it will never ever activate,but that one time circumstances get the best of you it could very well save you.In other words it's just along for the ride until you really need it and if you ride long enough at some point you'll need it.If the ABS totally fails you still have normal braking.I would suggest to anyone in your position to take a half hour or whatever it takes to do some reading on how a modern ABS system actually works before making a decision.I've read a lot of reasons as to why riders absolutely don't want it and I've yet to read a good one other than maybe they couldn't afford it at the time.If you don't have the money,you don't have the money.JMHO.

Fatwing Chris
If I'da known it would last this long I'da taken better care of it(not talkin about the Wing)

04 ABS
Darkside # 1602
195/55/16 Non Run-Flat
Double Dark with a BT45

Last edited by Fatwing Chris; 06-02-2015 at 05:48 PM.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatwing Chris View Post
No dealer should ever even elude to the fact that integrated braking is anywhere's near as good as or a replacement for ABS.Don't get me wrong as I really like the linked brakes,but ABS IS A WHOLE OTHER LEVEL of control.In fact any ambulance chasing lawyer would have a hay day with a statement like that after you go out,lock up your wheels and dump your bike(if you live to sue).

The beauty part of ABS is if you're that good a rider(lots of riders think they are)it will never ever activate,but that one time circumstances get the best of you it could very well save you.In other words it's just along for the ride until you really need it and if you ride long enough at some point you'll need it.If the ABS totally fails you still have normal braking.I would suggest to anyone in your position to take a half hour or whatever it takes to do some reading on how a modern ABS system actually works before making a decision.I've read a lot of reasons as to why riders absolutely don't want it and I've yet to read a good one other than maybe they couldn't afford it at the time.If you don't have the money,you don't have the money.JMHO.

Thanks FWC!

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-04-2015, 04:07 PM

Garage
It's wrong of Honda to make folks buy an overpriced nav just to get ABS. It should be standard on a premier motorcycle (BMW for years now) or at least available at all trim levels.

They do the same on their little ctx700. You have to buy the automatic to get the ABS.

I bought a new Harley in 13. I looked high and low to get the model I wanted with ABS. It's not the 60's anymore and ABS is potentially way more valuable an invention than fuel injection.
Chopin likes this.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-05-2015, 08:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoIron View Post
I know this is an older thread, but I have a question for the expert GWer's out there. During the process of buying a new Wing, initially I was dead set on a Level 3 with ABS. I had ABS on my 2011 Street Glide and thought it was a very important safety feature. A couple of dealers I was working with convinced me that the integrated braking system on the Wing is so exceptional that most people will not spend the extra money for Level 3. So I dropped down to a Level 1, because I couldn't see spending $2,500 for navigation when I can buy a portable GPS for $100. Would you be so kind to give me your feedback on the integrated brakes versus ABS? Thanks.
As I understand it, ABS and integrated braking are two different systems. ABS prevents wheel lock up on hard braking (front and rear) whereas integrated braking is proportional braking, ie. when either front or rear brakes are applied, a proportion of the braking is done automatically by the other wheel. The systems work well for me and I would never have a road bike without ABS.

Hope this helps, Regards, Jim Thomason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode