What Are The DISTINCT REASONS Why You Do NOT Use CAR TIRES? - Page 11 - Honda Goldwing Forums
 20Likes

post #101 of 138 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 04:03 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Concentrate on the important things Jack.

MSF course
License
Bike
Riding

Drop the tire queries for now and you will be much happier.

Whoever said a woman can't make up their mind never met a Male Motorcycle Rider

GWOF IB COUPLE #2

MEMBER GWOF IB TRIO #1/Overall #4

FR #91
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 138 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to AdvenJack
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatanka View Post
The hell with the subject at hand. Diver Dan? Bwahaha! Yeah, I watched it as a kid, too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J57ViKQYir8

Jack
post #103 of 138 (permalink) Old 05-30-2015, 07:05 PM

Well, guess I'll throw my 2 cents in because I am car tire (Darksider) guy now... I was very much opposed to the idea of a car tire for a long time... I watched and read for quite a long time, and then finally, both my best buddy and I said we were going to try it, nearly simultaneously, and we live 600 miles away from each other...

The benefits (IMO) - much better mileage, better wet handling, better ride (softer), less expensive, and finally, at least in my case, run flat design...

The drawbacks (IMO) - handles a bit differently, tends to track pavement overlaps and such, bike tends to upright itself in a turn, so a little bit different handling characteristics...

But again, and strictly my opinion, the benefits far outweigh disadvantages...

I frequently run a Tow Pac Instatrike kit on my bike and the Tow Pac is extremely hard on MC tires because of all the scrubbing that takes place in turns, so anything I can do to promote more mileage is a benefit to me... And finally, I just had my first flat tire in over 25 years and it was on my Yokohama Avid Envigor run flat... I was giving my younger sister a ride while she was visiting and I got about 1/2 mile down the road and my TPMS started yelling at me that I had only 15 PSI in my rear tire (picked up a nail) ... That tire would have been totally flat had it not been a run flat design and it gave me enough leeway to get the bike back in the garage and effect a repair... That alone is reason enough for me...

I have no axe to grind one way or another in this controversial subject... If it works for you, do it!!! If you don't think it's right for you, then stay with a MC tire - makes no difference to me one way or another... Whatever works for you is the best way to go...

Les

4 wheels moves the body
2 wheels moves the soul

Honorary Wild Rhino - 7/10/2014
GL1800 HPNAM9
Darkside #1574 - Yokohama Avid Envigor ZPS
Double Darkside - BT-45

Tennessee Travelers #103

post #104 of 138 (permalink) Old 05-30-2015, 07:25 PM

So I answered the Op's question but I keep getting notification of other replies but the question they asked is why don't you run a ct on you're motorcycle not why do you run ct on you're motorcycle

2010 Black GL1800 (ABS/Navi/Airbag)
Corbin seat (black Carbon Fiber trimed in grey Carbon)
LED Driving lights
Hwy Pegs
Switch Blade's (Pegs)
Heel, Toe Shifter
Two piece vented belly pan
Dragon Wings
Daytona Pipes
Wing Stuff carpets and bags
Cup holder
Zumo 660
Ipod
and a few chrome bits (including antenna pole dancer)
post #105 of 138 (permalink) Old 05-30-2015, 08:04 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camer View Post
So I answered the Op's question but I keep getting notification of other replies but the question they asked is why don't you run a ct on you're motorcycle not why do you run ct on you're motorcycle
Turn off your notifications. Camer. you can't have a lengthy and lively thread asking why you would not put a car tire on a motorcycle. Your answer concerning the bead difference is a valid reason for you . Matter of fact, it was the only " technical " reason amongst the usual " It's a motorcycle, not a car ".

Lee.
Darksider since I finally saw the Light.
post #106 of 138 (permalink) Old 05-30-2015, 08:07 PM

True but the question asked was why don't you. There are multiple topics on why you do.
The reason I replied was to see if there are any other good reasons as to why not other than cause it's a motorcycle

2010 Black GL1800 (ABS/Navi/Airbag)
Corbin seat (black Carbon Fiber trimed in grey Carbon)
LED Driving lights
Hwy Pegs
Switch Blade's (Pegs)
Heel, Toe Shifter
Two piece vented belly pan
Dragon Wings
Daytona Pipes
Wing Stuff carpets and bags
Cup holder
Zumo 660
Ipod
and a few chrome bits (including antenna pole dancer)
post #107 of 138 (permalink) Old 05-30-2015, 08:12 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
True but the question asked was why don't you. There are multiple topics on why you do.
The reason I replied was to see if there are any other good reasons as to why not other than cause it's a motorcycle
Hehehehe. Nope . Guess not.

Lee.
Darksider since I finally saw the Light.
post #108 of 138 (permalink) Old 05-30-2015, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Because I am happy with the performance of my rear tire in both grip in the wet and the dry. I now have a MT that has 28,000 km on it and will be changed out. Up until I put the Michelin Commander 11 on my bike. The tires were lasting 10,000 km.

I have road 2 Goldwings with CT's fitted and would be more than happy with riding with a CT fitted. I do find it different to riding with a MT. It takes a bit more to get the bike into the lean. The grip level is about the same with the two tires.

CT are cheaper and last longer than a MT (better value) So you can just call me a wimp.

When all else fails.......... use a hammer!
post #109 of 138 (permalink) Old 05-30-2015, 08:32 PM

Well, it's true that tires run cooler and last longer when you keep your speed under 50 MPH like The Hoon does! Me, I'd rather run a tad quicker and change the tire a little more often.....

Hi, Eric!

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." ~ George Orwell

Kevin
1995 1500 Aspencade named "Cochise"
1985 1200 Aspencade named "Tatanka"
IDMWT club #18
post #110 of 138 (permalink) Old 05-30-2015, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatanka View Post
Well, it's true that tires run cooler and last longer when you keep your speed under 50 MPH like The Hoon does! Me, I'd rather run a tad quicker and change the tire a little more often.....

Hi, Eric!
Now we both know that is BS. Just take a look at the photo of your last tire. You would not ride over 50 mph with that tire on would you.
Hello Kevin.

When all else fails.......... use a hammer!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode