tire temps and presure - Honda Goldwing Forums
 12Likes

post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
tire temps and presure

Not sure if this is the rite section but.
I bought a tire pressure and temp monitoring system and it works great BUT I went on a roughly 60 mile ride and my rear tire went up to 186 deg and 43 psi.
What are safe limits and do you think I have a problem that would cause a rapid temp and pressure rise?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 11:58 PM
Not sure if all this relates to motorcycle tires but found a couple of things:

"Check with your tire manufacturer to find the recommended operating temperature for your tires. A typical operating range for a DOT-R tire is 180F to 200F. Street tires tend to run a bit cooler and racing tires a bit hotter."
Elephant Racing Reading Tire Temperature: Road map to ...
http://www.elephantracing.com/tech-t...e-temperature/

Don't know what pressure you started at, but the chart might help.

Friends don't let friends do stupid stuff (alone)
2003 GL1800, 1978 Kawasaki KZ650(needs restoring)

"Glory Days"

Jim King, Beartooth Clan member, IDMWT #89, Geezer Gang #2, 2018 Beer Cap Champ
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 04:32 AM Thread Starter

Garage
ill have to try the contact I guess. I just don't want a blow out you know.
thank you for the info.

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 06:02 AM

I have a Smartyre system on my 2017 wing . It was also on my 2006 wing and I can tell you that temp and pressure combo doesn't sound good. Tire pressure should go up 1 psi for every 10 degrees rise in temp. Assuming you set the tire pressure to 41psi cold @ around 80 degrees the psi should read 51psi at 186 degrees. Temp readings that high maybe due to low tire pressure.

Was the tire pressure set per the TPMS or a known good/trusted tire pressure gauge ? If per the TPMS than check the TPMS pressure reading against a known good/trusted tire gauge. If they agree and the tire pressure is correct I would see if you can get a replacement TPMS from the seller.

2017 Red Level 3
2006 Titanium Level 3
Traxxion suspension
WBRA senior member
IBA member 30028
IDMWT #100
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 09:50 AM

Just like your speedometer, everything can be off by 2% or so. The only way to get a good tire gage is to have it checked by a certified institution that does such things. I have yet had a gage that agrees perfectly with my TPMS. Even the ones Consumer Report swear by are not perfect. Pressure rises as you drive away from a cold start. Tire manufacturers know this and calculate that as part of the reading on the sidewall to represent cold pressure. I would not worry about it at all. Tire pressure and temps coincide with each other and don't even know why a TPMS indicates temps. Where do they put the thermostat to reach such a thing?

Terry Dill of San Antonio

It's not the destination, but the getting there.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TmDILL View Post
Just like your speedometer, everything can be off by 2% or so. The only way to get a good tire gage is to have it checked by a certified institution that does such things. I have yet had a gage that agrees perfectly with my TPMS. Even the ones Consumer Report swear by are not perfect. Pressure rises as you drive away from a cold start. Tire manufacturers know this and calculate that as part of the reading on the sidewall to represent cold pressure. I would not worry about it at all. Tire pressure and temps coincide with each other and don't even know why a TPMS indicates temps. Where do they put the thermostat to reach such a thing?
Where are you getting this spec everything can be off by 2% or so? Also "I have yet had a gage that agrees perfectly with my TPMS. " I was a metrologist , the science of weights and measures , for over 24 years and I can and will assure you you will never get any two tire gauges to agree perfectly. No such thing as perfect when it comes to measuring things. But that doesn't mean that either one of them is in accurate . By the way I do believe my Smartire is relatively accurate compared to my two Accurate tire gauges .

Now assuming that the tire was set to 41psi cold and is now reading 43psi at 186 degrees and assuming that the TPMS is working
properly I would be very very concerned about that tire and would be stopping at the first safe place I could. I would also slow down as much as is safely passably until I'm able to stop.

2017 Red Level 3
2006 Titanium Level 3
Traxxion suspension
WBRA senior member
IBA member 30028
IDMWT #100
George Bernard Shaw

post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 12:11 PM
Administrator

Garage
I've never noticed the tires on my Wing to be any more than warm to the touch unless I'm in extreme heat (over 100*f). Even then they didn't get as hot as my track bike's tires. And I run those at 32 front and 28 rear unless it's cool and wet, then I run 34 and 32. On the "dry track" the rear sloughs off far more than the front tire does, but they get quite hot and sticky to the touch. I'd invest in a temp gun if I was to ever run slicks. I'm forever checking with the guys that run slicks for their wear patterns and my DOT's exhibit pretty much the same patterns as theirs do. Proper suspension set up is critical to tire wear on the track, and tires are more prone to "cold tears" if not properly warmed up before getting on the gas hard. Fortunately I've never had that issue and the nice little rubber balls are right on the edge of the carcass molding ridge.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181024_095741.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	265153  

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 01:37 PM

Recently, I bought the Hawkhead TPMS. It logs the temp/psi on the fly.

I have been all over trying to get some resource with 'danger temp parameter' of a bike tire so I can configure this TPMS with the max temp...no one, including Dunlop, seem to have the data on this.

STORY: once i noted while crossing the desert that my K1600 rear tire was 56psi and so hot you could not touch it.

every since I been concerned as to what temp range would motivate getting off the bike and parking it in the shade before proceeding.

Any info on this would be highly appreciated

A giant star blew up, elements combined, a long time passed and then, there you are. The mother of all mothers, even yours, is a supernova.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 02:09 PM

nando I worry more about pressure then temp. On the Smartire system, internal sensors, I have it will go into alarm if the pressure varies more than 7% for the temp of the tire. That is either high or low pressure. But I mainly monitor for low pressure .
Your sensors are external , on the valve stems , so I consider their temp reading un-reliable. Set the pressure alarms for low reading if you want to use the alarms. IMO the type of tpms like yours is only good for checking the tire pressure when you are first starting out, cold pressure, and a puncture/low pressure while riding.

2017 Red Level 3
2006 Titanium Level 3
Traxxion suspension
WBRA senior member
IBA member 30028
IDMWT #100
George Bernard Shaw

post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 02:28 PM
Lifetime Premium

Personally I think all this High Tech got us worrying way to much. I doubt the tire manufacture would allow tires to be produce that would kill you if their pressure was off a couple of pounds. I've almost 300,000 miles on my wings, I check the pressure before I leave in the morning and unless something starts to feel weird, I'm not going to worry about it.
Jinx and 823Jim like this.

From the Northwest Corner
Ron
The Land of Tall mountains
IDMWT #5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode