2016 gl 1800 tires? - Honda Goldwing Forums
 5Likes
  • 2 Post By crownfire
  • 1 Post By budoka
  • 2 Post By budoka

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

2016 gl 1800 tires?

Just bought a 16 with the oem stones on it have 11000 on them good tires so far.
Looking at replacing with the avon av 91/92 or dunflop e4's!
What sort of mileage are yall getting?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 07:36 AM

I had E4's on my 2003 gl1800 and went back to the stones. I think there is a tradeoff. YRMV but I thought the E4's were harder, so I felt every little bump in the road. I had trouble getting used to the dual compound. The tires felt different leaned over than straight up. Also, I had more of a front end wobble at 35-40 with the E4's. With the stones its pretty much gone.

But I guess you'll get more mileage out of the E4's.

Just my two cents.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 07:48 PM

Just finishing up with 22,000 miles on the E-4's. I thought they handled well. But about 17 to 18,000 miles they started getting loud. I'm going back with Bridgestone 704/709. They don't last as long for mileage, but out the door a bit cheaper, handle great and quiet the whole lifetime.
NREMTP and ptuner11 like this.

Mark
It matters not how good you are if an angel pees on the flintlock of your musket. Old German Military saying.
2010 Honda GL1800
GWOF IB Hat #1 with WARWGN
IDMWT #86

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 06:11 AM
Lifetime Premium

Over 20,000 miles and counting......

Sent from my E6830 using Tapatalk

Lee.
Darksider since I finally saw the Light.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 11:38 AM
Administrator

Garage
Oh, Prunella!

Something I noticed on my current Excedras that I never noticed before this last trip was the noise. I'm over 12k on these and they are still quite a bit above the wear indicators, but sing almost as much as the Dunlops did that the bike came with. Maybe it was because we were in the rain allot, but they are much louder than previous sets. Mark, I'm surprised that you mention the E4s are harder than the 'stones, Elite's trademark has been soft and smooth riding, but maybe I'm thinking of the E3 and 1500s that so many riders rave about.

For the OP, I've never heard any good things about Avons being a long wear tire. But that's on mostly HD models and they aren't the best in the talk circles for getting great tire life from what my local riding pals say. Seems that Road Glides, Ultras and Roadkings wear out tires faster than my Wing does and I run mine pretty punishingly. Mark get more miles out of his than I do but he rides solo more than me I think. Tagging along the kitchen sink might have something to do with my two up travels and more wear on the skins. Have to say I was tempted by the E4 until Mark's post...reckon I'm on the704/709 band wagon again.
NREMTP likes this.

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 10:35 AM
Administrator

Garage
Badrider (Stephen) posted recently on the FB Wing page a picture of his front tire after some 12k miles. I do believe it was an E4 (correct me if I'm wrong Stephen), and it looked pretty decent but the cupping was evident. Here's my B'stone 709 with just over 13k on it. Ran it with 38 psi all the way through as opposed to my prior front with 39-40. It's just approaching the wear indicator bars so it's getting replaced shortly along with the rear. You can see in the dust from the ground the slight wave pattern in the center 1/3 of the tread wear, but it is no where near cause for worry or concern (IMO). The rear has the characteristic flat center (sorry I didn't get down on my prayer bones on the garage floor to photograph it) section in the middle but it is showing very nearly the same wear level as the front has. 40 psi this time around as opposed to my previous 42 psi. I'm guessing the Centramatics have a bit to do with the more even/longer wear (and lack of pronounced cupping on the front) overall than my previous set of 'stones. Not upset with the wear or performance at all, but as I mentioned in another post I did hear more noise this time around.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190819_181300.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	264895  
NREMTP and Luv2fish like this.

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode