post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

removal of 1500 wheel

How to remove rear wheel on 1500se

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 12:24 PM

Garage
If you have the owners manual it spells it all out in there.....if not.... download the pages needed.... they are available.

It is a long list of things that have to come off..... the first time I did my 1500 it took me about 6 hours to remove and replace and drive it off.

IDMWT member #80
Never walk, when you can ride!

current ride : 2013 GL1800 Audio Comfort

Darkside Yokohama Avid ENVigor 195/55 R16
non-runflat
Double Darkside Bridgestone BT45 Battlax Front

Past rides: '98 GL1500SE
'03 750 Kawasaki Vulcan
'81 850 Suzuki
'80 550 Suzuki
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 02:23 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsurley View Post
If you have the owners manual it spells it all out in there.....if not.... download the pages needed.... they are available.

It is a long list of things that have to come off..... the first time I did my 1500 it took me about 6 hours to remove and replace and drive it off.
+1 on what dsurley said

From the Northwest Corner
Ron
The Land of Tall mountains
IDMWT #5

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 02:24 PM

Garage
Are we allowed to refer to other forums here? If so, then take a look at this page - it's what I used last year to successfully remove my rear wheel, and replace it...

Alan Hepburn
1994 GL1500SE with a California Friendship I Sidecar
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 05:06 PM

Garage
What ever is of help to others.....

I just didnt want to try to start the list for fear of getting something out of order, plus I don't have pictures to go with it like the manual. I also sold my 1500 back in 2015, so wouldn't trust my recall anyways.

The order of removal and replacement is very specific for it all to work as easy as is possible. It is not difficult........ just lots of %&&% to take off to get there......then it all has to go back.....the fastest I ever did the job was about 4 hours on a nice cool day in a proper shop.

Again, we all just try to help the best we can, and try not to steer anyone wrong.

IDMWT member #80
Never walk, when you can ride!

current ride : 2013 GL1800 Audio Comfort

Darkside Yokohama Avid ENVigor 195/55 R16
non-runflat
Double Darkside Bridgestone BT45 Battlax Front

Past rides: '98 GL1500SE
'03 750 Kawasaki Vulcan
'81 850 Suzuki
'80 550 Suzuki
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
Are we allowed to refer to other forums here? If so, then take a look at this page - it's what I used last year to successfully remove my rear wheel, and replace it...
I used this method with the exception of i laid my 1500 on its side like people do with the 1800s. I also did not completely remove the left saddlebag, simply loosened it enough to get my hands and tools in there to remove the brakes.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 01:11 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwade View Post
I used this method with the exception of i laid my 1500 on its side like people do with the 1800s. I also did not completely remove the left saddlebag, simply loosened it enough to get my hands and tools in there to remove the brakes.

How do you remove the axle shaft without having access to the right side? In my case I had to use a big hammer to get the axle shaft to move - it was real tight, and took two of us to get it out. A few minutes with some emery cloth, and light coating of grease made it a lot easier to go back in!

Alan Hepburn
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
How do you remove the axle shaft without having access to the right side? In my case I had to use a big hammer to get the axle shaft to move - it was real tight, and took two of us to get it out. A few minutes with some emery cloth, and light coating of grease made it a lot easier to go back in!
The axle bolt comes out the left side (as you sit on the bike). I loosened the exhaust on both sides and removed only the left exhaust for clearance to aid in getting already loosened left bag away and that also gave me more room to get to the brake caliper. I watched a couple videos on YouTube and probably did a little improvising as I needed but it is basically the same technique

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 02:23 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwade View Post
The axle bolt comes out the left side (as you sit on the bike). I loosened the exhaust on both sides and removed only the left exhaust for clearance to aid in getting already loosened left bag away and that also gave me more room to get to the brake caliper. I watched a couple videos on YouTube and probably did a little improvising as I needed but it is basically the same technique

Either you got lucky, or I was unlucky: my axle would move about 1/2" and stop. I had to hit it from the right side with a drift, while a helper pulled on it from the left before I could get it out! Once out I polished it up with some emery cloth, then lightly greased it and it went back in easily - hopefully when I need to get it out in the future it'll be easier!
dwade likes this.

Alan Hepburn
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 12:09 PM

It takes me 20 minutes to get my rear wheel off the bike. It’s definitely not that difficult!
I do take a little longer putting it back on of course because I take the opportunity to check everything out back there and re-grease the final drive. Every two tire changes, I replace the rear wheel dampers and metal inserts.
dwade likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode