Status
Not open for further replies.

removal of 1500 wheel

5K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  budoka 
#1 ·
How to remove rear wheel on 1500se

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

#2 ·
If you have the owners manual it spells it all out in there.....if not.... download the pages needed.... they are available.

It is a long list of things that have to come off..... the first time I did my 1500 it took me about 6 hours to remove and replace and drive it off.

#6 ·
I used this method with the exception of i laid my 1500 on its side like people do with the 1800s. I also did not completely remove the left saddlebag, simply loosened it enough to get my hands and tools in there to remove the brakes.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

#5 ·
What ever is of help to others.....

I just didnt want to try to start the list for fear of getting something out of order, plus I don't have pictures to go with it like the manual. I also sold my 1500 back in 2015, so wouldn't trust my recall anyways.

The order of removal and replacement is very specific for it all to work as easy as is possible. It is not difficult........ just lots of %&&% to take off to get there......then it all has to go back.....the fastest I ever did the job was about 4 hours on a nice cool day in a proper shop.

Again, we all just try to help the best we can, and try not to steer anyone wrong.

#10 ·
It takes me 20 minutes to get my rear wheel off the bike. It’s definitely not that difficult!
I do take a little longer putting it back on of course because I take the opportunity to check everything out back there and re-grease the final drive. Every two tire changes, I replace the rear wheel dampers and metal inserts.

#11 ·
Doesn't anyone remove the seat then the bolt thru your bags, flip the bags and trunk up out of the way, loosen both mufflers, swing them down and pull the axle?

#12 ·
My preferred method. Not everyone agrees but just seemed to me to be less impact and once the rear frame section is pivoted up, you have clear room to do everything you want.

#15 ·
There is one bolt inside each bag. I will try to include the picture pointing to this bolt one time when I had to remove just one bag. Also included is a picture of the bolt you remove, after several times of this mine got roughed up a bit.

Attachments

Reactions: golwang97.tang
#16 ·
There are access holes thru the forward end of the saddlebag to reach those bolts. I changed bolts as well but went with socket head to be easier to reach and install. BTW these lower bolts do not have to be completely removed though you may want to, especially the first time. The rear subframe has open forks that go over these bolts. When mine was open, I smoothed the forks up and filed a bevel on the opening to help things go back together.

The top bolts under the seat need to be loose of course. Don't forget to retighten them.

The two halves of the inner fender are plastic and have interlocking tabs. They will unsnap on the way up but might need some help to line up correctly on the way back down.

And golwang97 you really threw me off with that picture. Took a couple looks to figure out that it was fringe on your surrey.:laugh2:

Reactions: golwang97.tang
#17 ·
I don't miss those days, and the days of my 1200 tire replacement. Used to remove all the necessary stuff before taking it in to have the tire(s) changed. Not that I do my own on the 1800 but still, those 5 hub bolts are a great improvement IMO

Reactions: Cantankerous
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.