New Updated GL1800 Darksider Information - Page 7 - Honda Goldwing Forums
 46Likes

post #61 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-08-2017, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Just going back through this thread and it made me laugh. It was all about having an updated list. Someone posted a whole list of tires stating that it was CURRENTLY being used by wingers. There were a couple on the list that said (Discontinued). How can they be current if discontinued.?

Anyways, bought the Driveguard runflat 195/55/16 and the Battleax BT45 for the front.

Waiting for delivery and install. My local Honda dealer already approved mounting them. It's old hat for them at this point. No issues.
Chopin likes this.

2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Audio Comfort
2006 Honda Shadow Sabre VT1100C2 Titanium Flames-sold
2005 Honda Goldwing Blue-Sold
2007 Honda TRX250EX-sold
2007 Honda TRX400EX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-08-2017, 05:13 PM
Lifetime Premium

Good on you. The Battlax is unquestionably my next front tire. I may even do it prematurely.

Sent from my E6830 using Tapatalk
dsurley and DonP. like this.

Lee.
Darksider since I finally saw the Light.
post #63 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 06:56 AM

Not too sure of this CT thing. Its got its pro's and con's as well. I don't like the wandering feeling when hitting grooves, nor the looseness on bends. I have 45 lbs of air in it to firm it up some. There is too much surface area and it causes the tire to "bind" against itself, if that makes sense (not sure how to describe it). I'm sure it will work well on the slab, especially towing my trailer, and being runflat is a definite plus.

I installed the Bridgestone Driveguard RF. After it was installed, I noticed that the tread pattern is not symmetrical. Wonder if that has any bearing on how it is behaving.?? I need to get some miles on it.
Chopin likes this.

The FIRST GWOF IB TRIO. July 16, 2016
Charter Members:
Fossil92 - WingNutGordo - GoldWingKing

GWOF IB Couples ride. 1008.3 Mi. September 14, 2016
GWOF IB Couples ride II. 1045.6 Mi. September 16, 2016

Traxxion Dynamics, Mega Monte.
Bridgestone Driveguard RunFlat.

post #64 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 01:09 PM

Garage
I found that when I first put my CT on it felt weird as well, but as the miles build, the weird feeling goes away as you get the shoulders of the tire scrubbed in.

After 9 months and just over 5k miles on mine, I feel I can take any corner as well or better than before. But on any road the straights still or longer than the corners. The launch and stopping capabilities are far superior on the CT, least wise with the tires that have been on my 1800. E3s vs Yokahama ENVigor

I felt just as you did in the beginning. Was wondering just what the h%^@ I had done, but now..... I am sticking with it!!!

IDMWT member #80
Never walk, when you can ride!

current ride : 2013 GL1800 Audio Comfort

Darkside Yokohama Avid ENVigor 195/55 R16
non-runflat

Past rides: '98 GL1500SE
'03 750 Kawasaki Vulcan
'81 850 Suzuki
'80 550 Suzuki
post #65 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-25-2017, 01:12 PM
Lifetime Premium

Argue for the negatives and and sure enough they will be there for you.

Sent from my E6830 using Tapatalk
Fd08wing likes this.

Lee.
Darksider since I finally saw the Light.
post #66 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 02:54 PM

I just got my 1800 about a month ago. I just learned this week that the dealer had removed a Bridgestone DriveGuard RF that was on it. I contacted him and he told me that he still had it (wheel and all) and I could buy it cheap ($50), I did and the more I read about this I think Iím going to put it on. The tire is practically new and the wheel is flawless. Good deal, huh?

Thanks all of you for all the information you provide. 👏👏👏

Last edited by Oneway; 07-28-2018 at 02:57 PM.
post #67 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneway View Post
I just got my 1800 about a month ago. I just learned this week that the dealer had removed a Bridgestone DriveGuard RF that was on it. I contacted him and he told me that he still had it (wheel and all) and I could buy it cheap ($50), I did and the more I read about this I think Iím going to put it on. The tire is practically new and the wheel is flawless. Good deal, huh?

Thanks all of you for all the information you provide. 👏👏👏
If you can handle the maneuvering idiosyncrasies of a CT, it 'll be the best tire choice. And the handling anomaly of a CT on a Wing is really not that bad. Its easy to get used to. I couldn't, but I could see it was not that bad. I used a CT for quite a while before I decided to go back to the sheetie-arses motorcycle tires they make nowadays for the Wing.

A giant star blew up, elements combined, a long time passed and then, there you are. The mother of all mothers, even yours, is a supernova.
post #68 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 04:11 PM

Good decision on your part. If you don't like it, I'll give you back your $50.

I just put the driveguard on yesterday. Almost forgot how much I like darkside. I was trying to wear out the OEM tire but got to 6000 and couldn't stand it anymore. Life is good again. I started at 30psi. Seems to be just right.

Andy Cote

Darkside #1500
2015 Goldwing, black

previously: GL1200 Standard, GL1200 Interstate GL1500 Wing, GL1500 Valkyrie Standard, 2000 Valkyrie Interstate and many other Hondas
post #69 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 04:52 PM

As new Darksiders arrive I suppose it’s time to kick this dog again lol. Loved my Kumho V-rated (performance) but not available anymore. Now run the Yokohama AVID ENVigor ZPS 195/55/16 RF. Softer sweeeeeet ride! I ride a CT for several reasons...load capability, traction in acceleration and braking and smoooooth ride. After you lose your anxiety about cornering and realize the CT does a fine job of that, I see no reason to go back. Just watch where you stop. If you hang 3/4 of your CT in the air at a stop it will tip pretty good on you. But guess what, so will a MT that’s 195mm wide.
post #70 of 85 (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 05:54 PM

First impression...I donít like it, particularly at low speeds. Feels like it doesnít want to turn. I donít know if Iíll give it a fair trial or not. Juryís still out. 🤔
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode