Gasoline smell - Honda Goldwing Forums

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

Gasoline smell

I bought a 1984 GL1200 a couple months ago. It runs great except lately I have been noticing a gas smell in the garage. The other night I could smell it in the house so I went to the garage and found the left rear carburetor wet on the bottom. I shut the gas off and opened the doors to air things out. My question is this a stuck float or something keeping a needle valve open? And how difficult is it to just remove the left rear carb? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-23-2015, 09:26 PM

Sounds like a stuck float/needle valve, though it could also be a loose drain plug on the bottom of that carb. Try this, it worked to free a needle that wasn't seating on my '85 earlier this year: Get on the bike, leave it off, and rock the bike from side to side as much as you can safely; I guess the sloshing of the fuel in the bowls helps the needle find its seat.

You have to remove the whole carb set to remove individual carbs from it.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." ~ George Orwell

Kevin
1995 1500 Aspencade named "Cochise"
1985 1200 Aspencade named "Tatanka"
IDMWT club #18
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 10:01 AM
Administrator

Garage
Sometimes a light tap with a screwdriver handle will free it up also.

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, I've had this problem on lawn mowers over the years. I was hoping for an easy way to remove the carb. I'll have to look up how to get into them. This is my first GW.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-24-2015, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromill View Post
Thanks, I've had this problem on lawn mowers over the years. I was hoping for an easy way to remove the carb. I'll have to look up how to get into them. This is my first GW.
I strongly recommend you bite the bullet and buy at least the Clymer manual for that bike; shop manual is even better, more thorough, but also kinda hard to find for that year anymore.

Don't just count on forums on the internet or before you know it you'll be getting advice from folks like us!

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." ~ George Orwell

Kevin
1995 1500 Aspencade named "Cochise"
1985 1200 Aspencade named "Tatanka"
IDMWT club #18
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-26-2015, 11:58 PM

I'm with Kevin. Sound like a stuck float/ needle valve. The 1200 is a great machine and the carbs are a bit of a bear to pull. I could do it in 4 hours when I had mine. Also after pulling and reinstalling them You'll have to balance them using vacuum gauges. Its just a bit of a headache to do so but well worth it. Try pecking on the bowl with the handle of screw driver and see what happens. Seafoam is Your friend on these old 1200's. Good luck and let us know what You find.

Nothing rides quite like a Goldwing...
2012 GL 1800 level 2 Audio/Comfort/Navi/XM (ultra blue metallic)
1987 GL 1200 Aspencade (wine berry) sold

IDMWT Club Member#45

The price of victory is high, but so are the rewards.- Paul "Bear" Bryant
~Be allergic to average!~
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2015, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.
I have a Hanes manual that I downloaded but I'm going to need more than that. I'll look into ordering a better one.
I have been riding the bike some and it looks like more than one carb is leaking so maybe they all need to be completely gone thru? I'm not sure I'm up to all that I don't have the tools to balance them when finished. I have never worked on carbs so I would like to find someone local to do the work for me but I don't have much confidence in the local dealer. They may not even want to work on that old of a bike anyway.
It'll cool off one of these days, maybe by then I'll figure out what I want to do.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2015, 09:42 AM
Administrator

Garage
The 1200 carbs aren't terribly difficult to work on, more intimidating than anything, but they do have to be removed to do any work as Kevin mentioned. Something I recall from my 1200 ownership is the slides had a tendency to stick, injector cleaner (I used Bardahl) did the trick on that.

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-02-2015, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

I found a local fellow that restores older bikes to do the work. He said he's done hundreds of these carbs. He even had a couple of older GWs sitting there to be worked on. I'll drop mine off next week so he can rebuild the carbs.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

Just got the bike back. It cost a bit more than I wanted but I wanted the work done right and I think it was. He took the carbs off and run them thru an ultrasonic cleaner and replaced the floats and gasket sets, replaced the fuel filter and fuel line. He took the melted stator wire connector off and temporarily used crimp connectors to repair. I told him I could solder the wires myself (and save a bit of money). The bike runs great. The fellow was a great source of info on GW's so I'm happy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode