Oil Flush on New Wing - Honda Goldwing Forums
 6Likes

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 04:51 AM Thread Starter

Oil Flush on New Wing

Have done a second oil change on a 2018 Tour, 8k miles. I was wondering if anyone is using engine oil flush as part of the oil change process, in particular BG products?
Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukwing View Post
Have done a second oil change on a 2018 Tour, 8k miles. I was wondering if anyone is using engine oil flush as part of the oil change process, in particular BG products?
Cheers
Why not just keep it simple and use the recommended Honda oil? Keep it simple and stay away from the snake oil.
W1ngin1t and ETC like this.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 03:12 PM

Doesn't you manual recommend engine oil changes every 8000 miles. Mine does for my 2005.
ETC likes this.

Terry Dill of San Antonio

It's not the destination, but the getting there.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 03:13 PM

If I get to 8,000 miles I change if it is less than 6 months. Usually it is. But I don't use anything but the recommended Honda Pro 10W40.

Terry Dill of San Antonio

It's not the destination, but the getting there.

Last edited by TmDILL; 10-11-2019 at 03:15 PM.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 05:57 PM

I agree with TmDill. Follow the manual and you’ll be OK.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-11-2019, 10:34 PM

Garage
I would not use BG oil flush on a wet clutch or automatic. At that rate, just change your oil twice. I work on HONDA cars for a living and only recommend doing an oil flush on older cars as sometimes brings back some compression.

IDMWT Member #96

J.C.
1975 Honda GL1000 Mule deer really liked it
1982 Honda CM450E 118K when finally fell apart
2007 Yamaha V-MAX Rejetted Carbs made it scary fast.
2014 Goldwing Basic in black

Ride everyday except when raining (or snowing) on the way to work.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 05:26 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for replies. The handbook suggest Honda SAE 10W-30 or equivalent, there's further details and necessary spec on page 233 of the handbook. The service schedule is every 8000 miles or yearly , which ever comes first. I choose to do mine more frequently as oil is hydroscopic and absorbs moisture, it's wet in England quite a bit of the time, so not good for engines and oil protection properties deteriorate over time starting good and getting progressively worse. Advertised high service intervals are an added attraction to buyers of any vehicle but oil kept in an engine too long or when dirty is no where near as good as clean fresh oil. Just a personal view but for the cost of a filter and 4li of oil it's not much to keep a good engine clean. As for engine flush, I used it regularly in my 2007 GL1800 with no wet clutch problems over 77k miles, it is okay with wet clutches but wondered about the new machine.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 09:45 AM

As for oil being hygroscopic, my understanding is that synthetic oils are at least less affected by moisture, retaining less than dino oils.
ukwing likes this.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Cheers Buzzard68 , that's interesting. I've gone over to full synthetic rather than mineral or semi as semi synthetic can be any %age of synthetic to claim it's name as semi synthetic. So a little synthetic added to mineral makes it semi synthetic. Higher price little gain.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-12-2019, 12:10 PM

When Mobil 1 was introduced to the public for sale, they had an ad offer to call 1-800-askmobil. I did call, and received in the mail, an enormous manila envelope full of data, most of it due to testing with General Motors. GM was interested in the synthetic oil's ability to withstand high temps and still perform adequately. It turns out that the Corvette was getting so cramped under the hood that GM was having trouble fitting an oil cooler. The Mobil 1 was tested against Mobil's best non-synthetic, using dynos to run the motors, supposedly up to and including failure. The engines run on dino oil did in fact fail. The engines on Mobil 1 were mostly still within factory specs, not needing a rebuild. Since that time, many GM performance engines have come with an oil filler cap stating that for warranty purposes, you must use Mobil 1. There is little doubt that synthetic is superior to dino, the question is, is it worth it to you. If dino is changed regularly, it may well be adequate for your uses. I like the safety margin, and have run some engines an incredible number of miles with no failures, using synthetic. It's good that we have choices.
ukwing likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode