93 GL1500 Carb Woes - Honda Goldwing Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Eric

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Question 93 GL1500 Carb Woes

Hello all.... new to the forum and I am looking for some direction. Just bought a 1993 Gl1500 Aspencade SE that has been sitting for several years. all dusty and dirty and such. I am a pretty good wrench and am looking for some direction on diagnosing Carb issues. Starts and idles ONLY with choke on and the after warming up some will idle when bringing choke off to a point. NO midrange throttle..... bogs out and will not allow throttle to be gently increased. has good throttle when she gets 'goosed' into hi-RPMs... Have tried carb cleaner, adding Sea Foam to fuel, Replaced fuel, fuel filter and have checked all other fluids and hoses. good vacuum. I am aware that I can get rebuild kits and new diaphram pistons, but want to see if I can do something else before the expense and trouble of taking them off. Thanks!!! https://www.goldwingowners.com/forum...ghtsidecar.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 05:00 PM

Sometimes you need to get the manual out and read it well. Also there is a good youtube on pulling carbs on the 1500's. I have just done this for my mate. You will need a day to do this job with long pliers to reach the clamp at the bottom of the carbs. You will also need a long phillips head screw driver to get the clamps on the bottom of the carbs. When the job is finished you will need a flat screw driver to balance the carbs.
Get a mate to help you and have a few drinks after you finish.....................you may need them.
NREMTP likes this.

When all else fails.......... use a hammer!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 09:33 AM

With a bike that has been sitting for years, the best thing to do is pull the carbs, take them apart and clean all the jets. After you have the jets out, shoot carb cleaner in all the passages to clean out any crud. Thin wire will help with removing the crud from the jets along with the carb cleaner. Sea Foam can only do so much. It needs to pass fuel through the jet and passage to clean it. If it is blocked, no amount of Sea Foam will clean it out.

While you are in there, replace all the rubber O rings and the accelerator pump rubber. You can still get the O rings from Honda, and the pump rubber as a kit. Also replace the float bowl O ring as well. I replaced the float valves also when I did my 88. You only want to do this one time! It takes some work to get the carbs in and out of this bike.

Dan
2012 GL 1800
1988 GL 1500
1977 GL 1000
2012 KLR 650

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 10:11 AM
Administrator

Garage
All good advice above. We've been through this a few times in our service shop, but it is doable. As Eric mentions, an extra set of hands is a bonus.

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode