1986 Apencade 1200 starter sticks - Honda Goldwing Forums
 6Likes

post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

1986 Apencade 1200 starter sticks

My 1986 Aspencade 1200 starter sticks. It begins to turn engine over to start but gets stuck. I can put it in gear & rock back & forth to get it unstuck then it will start normally. This is happening more often lately. Is it probably a starter problem or something more serious?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 07:23 PM

Hello Jim; Check the simple things first, make sure your battery and cables and the solenoid are up to par. Check the coolant level. Another possibility is that coolant is leaking into the cylinder when it is parked, causing a hydro-lock. rocking the engine in gear could be spinning the engine enough to open the exhaust valve. Any smoke when the bike starts under the above conditions?
Jim Tucker likes this.

Thank You: Mocchi
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 09:57 AM Thread Starter

It has been starting fine for the last few days. A friend listened to it & told me the solenoid is sticking so I'm going to try that first. Haven't noticed any smoke on startup. My mechanical ability can be stored in a very small box. Thanks for your time responding to my question.

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 10:52 AM
Administrator

Garage
The 1200 series were famous for smoking out the left cylinder bank after being parked warm and left to sit on the side stand overnight or a full cool down. Oil would get past the valve seals and smoke like crazy on startup. BMW inline K series were even worse. Not anything wrong with the engines, just how they were.
p.s. I think there is also a "starter clutch" that might be dragging. Some of the more mechanically minded 1200 folk may be able to confirm this.

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl

Last edited by budoka; 06-19-2019 at 11:02 AM.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 11:40 AM

Garage
Welcome to the forum, Jim and good luck with your bike.

Bob
2012 ABS "Red Ghost"
IDMWT 65
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info Bob. Maybe I should try parking it on the center stand & see if it helps.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 06:14 PM

If it starter is still spinning after releasing the starter button.....think solenoid.

When all else fails.......... use a hammer!
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 07:15 PM

I hope it is the solenoid for you, easy fix. However I don't know how rocking the engine would affect the solenoid to get the bike to start again, could just be luck. Please keep me posted.

Thank You: Mocchi
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

Will do & thanks to all for the helpful tips.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 08:05 PM

Sticking Starter -

Hey Jim - Did you inherit this "Sticking Starter" problem or have you owned the bike for a while ? This type problem on the early 4 cylinder bikes can be either a mechanical related problem (Starter Clutch - gummed up) or an electrical one (Starter Solenoid).

To help resolve a gummed up starter clutch - a relatively thin high quality detergent (example 10W-30 or 10W-40) motor oil can sometimes wash out the settled grime from the starter clutch roller pins and springs. In a worse case scenario - when a bike has been sitting for years - I've even used a 50/50 concoction of kerosene or diesel mixed with the oil in the crankcase for a (brief warm up) run on the center stand. Let if cool off - then after a couple more light warm up cycles on the center stand, drain the crankcase, install a new filter and change to your preferred motor oil. Just my opinion but I've found that my older wings do better with a little thicker (20W-40) oil for every day riding.

If you determine that the starter solenoid is the issue - take a close look at the part number - is it an OEM Honda part ? One precautionary comment, if you decide to replace the starter solenoid - there are LOTS of Chinese parts floating around the internet retailers. These $6 - $10 discount solenoids are often nothing but grief and can strand you in some parking lot or (even worse) off somewhere beside the road after a rest stop. Stay with the quality and reliability of a Honda part. Even a good used low mileage solenoid is better than a Chinese knock-off.....

Keep Us Posted and Good Luck - Michael
budoka likes this.

Last edited by JK McDonald; 06-21-2019 at 09:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode