1986 Apencade 1200 starter sticks - Page 2 - Honda Goldwing Forums
 6Likes

post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

Thanks

Thanks for INFO, I will try a Honda solenoid. I've had this bike for 3 years & it just started doing this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 06:58 PM

Oil Change - Crankcase Flush

Hey Jim - What oil are you using and how often do you change it ? Has your bike spent a lot of time sitting between rides ? Was your starter solenoid an original OEM Honda part ? Are you troubleshooting or just punting in changing out the starter solenoid ?

Although a sticking starter solenoid can cause the starter to stay engaged too long or drag with the motor running - when you mentioned having to rock the bike to disengage the starter, it sounds more like the starter clutch is not releasing.

Keep us posted - Michael
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 07:55 AM Thread Starter

I have been putting it on the center stand for the last week and it has not stuck so I'll keep watching it but I'm leaning towards that diagnosis. I used regular 10w30 oil last change recently. If it is being caused by leaning on the side stand what would be the fix? major or minor?
Thanks, Jim

post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 06:41 PM
Lifetime Premium

For the oil changes are you using Oil meant for wet Clutch's

From the Northwest Corner
Ron
The Land of Tall mountains
IDMWT #5
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 08:16 PM

Starter Clutch -

Hey Jim - All Goldwings are tough as an old boot and with routine maintenance are known for providing their owner a very long and reliable life. Although if you park your bike leaning on the side stand, you can expect a little smoke once started - the motors are rock solid and can be parked on the side or center stand with no ill effects. Like any ground breaking design, the 4 cylinder GW's do have a few quirks as the Honda engineers cut new trail. The close tolerances within the starter clutch assembly can sometimes begin to stick or delay in their release because of an internal sticky residue and build up when (examples):

1 The bike has been parked full of OLD Contaminated oil for extended (many months-years) periods of time.
2 The oil used is a poor quality (off brand-low detergent) and/or NOT changed at the recommended intervals.

The starter clutch on your GW is a simple centrifugal design similar in principle to the clutch used on a go-cart motor. When a Briggs and Stratton engine is at idle the go-cart clutch sprags are retracted. As the motor RPM increases - the clutch internal fingers extend to engage the output hub and chain connected to the drive wheel.

Your GW starter output gear is directly connected to a small chain going up to the starter clutch. The 3 engagement roller pins of the clutch assembly are normally retracted. It's the spin of the starter that throws the engagement roller pins out to rotate the motor. Grit, grim and contamination can cause the starter clutch engagement pins to not retract. (The opposite can happen as well - the starter can spin but the engagement roller pins do not extend outward because they are stuck in the retracted position)

Many times a couple of short interval - back to back warm engine oil changes will resolve the problem. If a sticking starter clutch persists - a couple of oil/kerosene engine flushes (or name brand engine flush products) with a brief run on the center stand can help.

Keep Us Posted and Ride Safe - Michael
NREMTP likes this.

Last edited by JK McDonald; 06-27-2019 at 08:21 PM.
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Michael, I've got a diesel mechanic friend that is going to look at it. He doesn't know goldwings but he is more able than I am. It's back to the drawing board for me as it locked again this morning after I had been storing it on the center stand. It's no emergency though as I just made a deal on a 98 GW Aspencade 1500 with 106 K miles that has no mechanical problems, (at this time) Now I've got time to get the 1200a straightened out without missing out on the summer riding season. I wish I could find a knowledgeable GW mechanic near me as I'm afraid of what the dealer 50 miles from me would charge. I will tell my buddy about the starter clutch. Thanks again. I really appreciate all the advice.
Eric likes this.

Last edited by Jim Tucker; 06-28-2019 at 03:27 PM.
post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 05:09 PM

Starter Sticking -

Hey Jim - If you are lucky - your problem on the 1200 will be the starter solenoid which is an easy (replacement) fix.

For you and your buddy to get a better idea of the parts involved in the starter clutch assembly, there are blog discussions and Utube videos on the internet that can help. The 4 cylinder GW's all use the same basic design.

One other comment - once you throw your leg over a 1500 you are sunk. Those sweethearts will spoil you in the first 50 feet. 106k miles on the odometer is nothing.

Good Luck and Keep Us posted - Ride Safe Michael

Last edited by JK McDonald; 06-28-2019 at 05:23 PM.
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 08:26 PM

Hello Jim, What is the status of the starting issue?

Thank You: Mocchi
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 08:04 AM Thread Starter

Still sticking. I have found a motorcycle mechanic to look at it. I will keep you all posted when fixed.
Thanks again for all the info.
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 08:08 AM Thread Starter

Oh yeah, I love the 1500 & can't wait to get the 1200 fixed & gone to make more room for my new bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode