Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

1986 Apencade 1200 starter sticks

3K views 23 replies 7 participants last post by  Jim Tucker 
#1 ·
My 1986 Aspencade 1200 starter sticks. It begins to turn engine over to start but gets stuck. I can put it in gear & rock back & forth to get it unstuck then it will start normally. This is happening more often lately. Is it probably a starter problem or something more serious?

It has been starting fine for the last few days. A friend listened to it & told me the solenoid is sticking so I'm going to try that first. Haven't noticed any smoke on startup. My mechanical ability can be stored in a very small box.

#2 · (Edited)
The 1200 series were famous for smoking out the left cylinder bank after being parked warm and left to sit on the side stand overnight or a full cool down. Oil would get past the valve seals and smoke like crazy on startup. BMW inline K series were even worse. Not anything wrong with the engines, just how they were.
p.s. I think there is also a "starter clutch" that might be dragging. Some of the more mechanically minded 1200 folk may be able to confirm this.

#6 · (Edited)
Sticking Starter -

Hey Jim - Did you inherit this "Sticking Starter" problem or have you owned the bike for a while ? This type problem on the early 4 cylinder bikes can be either a mechanical related problem (Starter Clutch - gummed up) or an electrical one (Starter Solenoid).

To help resolve a gummed up starter clutch - a relatively thin high quality detergent (example 10W-30 or 10W-40) motor oil can sometimes wash out the settled grime from the starter clutch roller pins and springs. In a worse case scenario - when a bike has been sitting for years - I've even used a 50/50 concoction of kerosene or diesel mixed with the oil in the crankcase for a (brief warm up) run on the center stand. Let if cool off - then after a couple more light warm up cycles on the center stand, drain the crankcase, install a new filter and change to your preferred motor oil. Just my opinion but I've found that my older wings do better with a little thicker (20W-40) oil for every day riding.

If you determine that the starter solenoid is the issue - take a close look at the part number - is it an OEM Honda part ? One precautionary comment, if you decide to replace the starter solenoid - there are LOTS of Chinese parts floating around the internet retailers. These $6 - $10 discount solenoids are often nothing but grief and can strand you in some parking lot or (even worse) off somewhere beside the road after a rest stop. Stay with the quality and reliability of a Honda part. Even a good used low mileage solenoid is better than a Chinese knock-off..... :)

Keep Us Posted and Good Luck - Michael

#8 ·
Oil Change - Crankcase Flush

Hey Jim - What oil are you using and how often do you change it ? Has your bike spent a lot of time sitting between rides ? Was your starter solenoid an original OEM Honda part ? Are you troubleshooting or just punting in changing out the starter solenoid ?

Although a sticking starter solenoid can cause the starter to stay engaged too long or drag with the motor running - when you mentioned having to rock the bike to disengage the starter, it sounds more like the starter clutch is not releasing.

Keep us posted - Michael

#9 ·
I have been putting it on the center stand for the last week and it has not stuck so I'll keep watching it but I'm leaning towards that diagnosis. I used regular 10w30 oil last change recently. If it is being caused by leaning on the side stand what would be the fix? major or minor?
Thanks, Jim

#11 · (Edited)
Starter Clutch -

Hey Jim - All Goldwings are tough as an old boot and with routine maintenance are known for providing their owner a very long and reliable life. Although if you park your bike leaning on the side stand, you can expect a little smoke once started - the motors are rock solid and can be parked on the side or center stand with no ill effects. Like any ground breaking design, the 4 cylinder GW's do have a few quirks as the Honda engineers cut new trail. The close tolerances within the starter clutch assembly can sometimes begin to stick or delay in their release because of an internal sticky residue and build up when (examples):

1 The bike has been parked full of OLD Contaminated oil for extended (many months-years) periods of time.
2 The oil used is a poor quality (off brand-low detergent) and/or NOT changed at the recommended intervals.

The starter clutch on your GW is a simple centrifugal design similar in principle to the clutch used on a go-cart motor. When a Briggs and Stratton engine is at idle the go-cart clutch sprags are retracted. As the motor RPM increases - the clutch internal fingers extend to engage the output hub and chain connected to the drive wheel.

Your GW starter output gear is directly connected to a small chain going up to the starter clutch. The 3 engagement roller pins of the clutch assembly are normally retracted. It's the spin of the starter that throws the engagement roller pins out to rotate the motor. Grit, grim and contamination can cause the starter clutch engagement pins to not retract. (The opposite can happen as well - the starter can spin but the engagement roller pins do not extend outward because they are stuck in the retracted position)

Many times a couple of short interval - back to back warm engine oil changes will resolve the problem. If a sticking starter clutch persists - a couple of oil/kerosene engine flushes (or name brand engine flush products) with a brief run on the center stand can help.

Keep Us Posted and Ride Safe - Michael

#12 · (Edited)
Thanks Michael, I've got a diesel mechanic friend that is going to look at it. He doesn't know goldwings but he is more able than I am. It's back to the drawing board for me as it locked again this morning after I had been storing it on the center stand. It's no emergency though as I just made a deal on a 98 GW Aspencade 1500 with 106 K miles that has no mechanical problems, (at this time) Now I've got time to get the 1200a straightened out without missing out on the summer riding season. I wish I could find a knowledgeable GW mechanic near me as I'm afraid of what the dealer 50 miles from me would charge. I will tell my buddy about the starter clutch. Thanks again. I really appreciate all the advice.

#13 · (Edited)
Starter Sticking -

Hey Jim - If you are lucky - your problem on the 1200 will be the starter solenoid which is an easy (replacement) fix.

For you and your buddy to get a better idea of the parts involved in the starter clutch assembly, there are blog discussions and Utube videos on the internet that can help. The 4 cylinder GW's all use the same basic design.

One other comment - once you throw your leg over a 1500 you are sunk. Those sweethearts will spoil you in the first 50 feet. 106k miles on the odometer is nothing. :)

Good Luck and Keep Us posted - Ride Safe Michael

#14 ·
Still sticking. I have found a motorcycle mechanic to look at it. I will keep you all posted when fixed.
Thanks again for all the info.

Oh yeah, I love the 1500 & can't wait to get the 1200 fixed & gone to make more room for my new bike.
Mechanic is coming tonight. I will let you all know when it is fixed.

#15 ·
clean the starter button and all the other handlebar switches. put some seafoam in the crankcase and run the engine for a few minutes then do an oil change, the seafoam should get the gum off the starter clutches. most older Honda's solenoid will rattle when you shake them so take yours off an see if it doesn't the solenoid is sticking, sometimes they can be freed by smacking them on the bottom with a hammer

#17 ·
Mechanic (Daniel) texted me this morning & said it locked up again. He has tested the battery good several times with a fancy digital battery tester but now the battery failed the test so he is going to replace the battery. More to come when it is fixed. (for good)
Jim

#23 ·
I will report what the problem was when it is no longer a problem. The man who is working on it was in an accident a couple of weeks ago and put in 75 hours at his job on the river last week, The Goldwing is in his shop and he will let me know what he finds or when it is fixed. I have to be patient as I can't find anyone else where I live to work on it and I have trouble telling a right hand wrench from a left handed one.

Tried the seafoam cleanse, so far, so good. I will report more when I'm convinced it is fixed. I hesitate to put it back up for sale until I'm convinced it is fixed.
Jim

#24 ·
Howdy folks, I know it's been a while. You probably thought I was one of those guys that doesn't follow through but I just got my 86 goldwing back from the shop. It starts immediately now so I assume it is fixed. (for now, fingers crossed.) I suppose the main thing that may have fixed it was the seafoam rinse treatment & oil change but the fuel pump went out while it was in the shop. Maybe it was weak contributing to the problem. Soooo it has a new solenoid, starter checked out OK, new battery, fuel pump & now I'm putting it up for sale since I don't need to keep 2 goldwings. I'm an enthusiast, not a collector. Thanks again for all the helpful advice & happy trails to all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.