95 GL1500 SE "Re-Starting" problem??? - Page 2 - Honda Goldwing Forums
 6Likes

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the info. I'll certainly run this one by my tech guy.

All the best to you and yours,
Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 11:45 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I hope it can be done on a 1500, as it works with older Wings.

IDMHT#1
Go Navy!
Retired trike builder/motorcycle tech.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 06:28 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I though about something last night and have to ask a couple of questions.
How long has this been going on?
What oil are you running or did you change the oil weight or type?
There's lubricant present when cold that's just the right 'Weight or thickness' but when its warm it doesn't have the 'Bond' to allow it to grab, but will as soon as its cooled enough.
golwang97.tang likes this.

IDMHT#1
Go Navy!

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

Hey Trike Lady,

Thanks again for your kind help.

This problem began about late last fall up into December. I didn't ride at all in January and only a few times in February.

I don't use anything special when it comes to oil viscosity. I live in Maryland and ride from mid 40 degrees on up to the 90's.
I've always used Havoline 30 weight oil.

Again, I'm going to run this by my tech and see what he thinks. Everything I've read here about the Seafoam "trick"
certainly makes sense and is certainly worth a shot. What do I have to lose?

Thanks for your interest.
Bill
trike lady likes this.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 09:06 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
You're welcome.
After you try the Seafoam process, maybe try 10W30 JASO and safe for wet clutches oil.
I hope this process works and you'll have your bike running right.
Some info on Seafoam.
https://seafoamsales.com/knowledge-b...crankcase-oil/

IDMHT#1
Go Navy!

Last edited by trike lady; 04-30-2019 at 09:08 PM.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I've read where some members with misbehaving starter clutches have put Seafoam in the engine oil and rode the bike for a few miles (maybe 25 or 50 miles), drained and replaced the oil and filter and the problem went away.
Thanks again for the information. I've given it a try. Here's what I found...

I took a warm-up ride of about 40 miles and began the process.

Though the oil after the first SeaFoam ride looked pretty clean to me and restarting didn't seem any different, I changed the oil and filter, added SeaFoam again and took another trip.

This time, after returning, I set a timer for 15 minutes then attempted to start the bike while hot. It started, but only after some slight starter spinning.

At the 30 minute mark another attempt. Longer spinning but still started.

The 45 minute mark, less spinning but started.

At the 1 hour mark, the bike started almost immediately.

After the next 15 minute mark, the bike was back to starting instantly.

So, the problem seems to be between the 30 and 45-minute mark as she's cooling down.

I ran through the SeaFoam process a third time but decided to let the SeaFoam remain in the oil over the next three days while I accumulated about 175 miles of riding before a final oil and filter change with no Seafoam.

I must say though, I do see improvement. Even though there is still some starter spinning, it is a lot shorter and the bike has so far still started.

At about $8 a quart for Castrol GTX 10 W 40, $10 for a filter and $5 for half a can of Seafoam, that's about $47.00 for each of the three test runs and a final change. Adding that to the $600+ for battery and a new starter is expensive, but I'm still hoping I can find an alternative to the engine pull and clutch replacement.

I'm going to continue to monitor the situation and hope that it continues to improve, but I'm still bracing myself for the inevitable.

I just posted my problem, your suggestion, and my findings over at goldwingfacts.com in hopes there may be other suggestions from the folks over there. I see that you're also a member there so this may be old news to you if you saw it there.

Again, thanks for your help.
Bill
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation Problem solved???

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETC View Post
What happens if you hit the start button then quickly release instead of holding it in? On many of the older bikes this is the standard start procedure as the coils are weak on most of the old bikes and releasing the start button allows full current to the coils.
Hey ETC,

Thank you so much for your information.

Being desperate, after posting my problem here, I also posted on goldwingdocs.com and goldwingfacts.com as well. Several folks over there also made reference to "bump starting".

Not being familiar with the term "Bump Starting", but on the chance they were referring to just tapping the starter button, as you mentioned originally, rather than "pressing" it, I gave the idea a shot. It appears to be working.

I've performed all the steps of the SeaFoam routine three times and tested the starting routine every 15 minutes for up to 2 hours after each ride and oil/filter/SeaFoam change. Though there seems to be some improvement, I was using my normal starting routine... PRESS the starter button. Maybe a full second. But, the problem persisted.

Today I took the bike out for over an hour and put about 75 miles on it. When I returned I set my phone timer for 15 minutes and, after every 15 minutes for the next two hours (eight tests), I returned to the bike, turned on the ignition with NO choke and just tapped the starter switch. After all eight 15-minute intervals, from hot to almost cool, she started instantly. No spinning starter sounds.

After the 1-hour test worked perfectly, I turned it off, then immediately turned the ignition back on and "pressed" the starter button as I would normally do and though she started, still there was the sound of the starter spinning down for a second or two.

My mechanically uneducated mind wants to believe that the Sprague clutch must be working properly and the problem might well be with the coils???

Can you think of something in addition to the coils that could be causing the original spinning problem?

Again, mega thanks for your help. At least now I can leave the house on the bike and feel that I'll be able to get back home by "bump starting".

All the best,
Bill

Last edited by Signdude8771; 05-25-2019 at 04:15 PM.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 01:22 AM

Jus Saying, a few years back, I went for a ride with everything working properly and I stopped for about minutes and tried o restart and it would not start. Had to trailer it home. When I got it home, it cranked fine. What I found out is that the reverse circuit and the starting circuit are tied together. So try raising your reverse lever
Up and down just to see. Spray wd 40 on the contacts and see if theres a difference.
Sounds lie that what it is to me. Reverse
Switch and start switch are tied together.
Before I posted this I waited to see if anyone would say anything similar but knowone has so.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 07:46 AM
ETC

Garage
Good advice except for W40 - never spray W40 on anything you don't intend to sell the next day. Or ants other than that it is awful stuff. Use contact cleaner or oil not spray tar.

"Take the Right Turn"
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 07:48 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Or you can use this

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Whoever said a woman can't make up their mind never met a Male Motorcycle Rider

GWOF IB COUPLE #2

MEMBER GWOF IB TRIO #1/Overall #4

FR #91
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode