99 1500 Goldwing coolant leak - Honda Goldwing Forums
 12Likes

post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

99 1500 Goldwing coolant leak

My 99 1500 Goldwing has a coolant leak. (Sweet smelling mist) When I had the front tire replaced last fall at the Honda shop, the mechanic thought it was the intake manifold gaskets leaking, but didn't get into it enough to be sure. Taking it back tomorrow for a further teardown to determine where the leak is coming from. If it is the intake manifold gaskets, possibly over $1,200 to replace. As an alternative, wondering what type of antifreeze stop leak to try? Someone recommended antifreeze stop leak aluminium! Didn't know if motorcycle aluminium engine requires special stop leak fluid! Looking for recommendations if that's the route I take.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 05:26 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Welcome to the GWOF from PA.

As a mechanical person and someone who does their own maintenance, I would not use a stop leak unless absolutely necessary. Sometimes it's a very simple thing, like either a radiator cap, or the coolant reservoir.

Not telling you that you are wrong to do so, but just offering an opinion. If it is an intake manifold, it will be a lot of teardown which is why it will be costly, but if you are mechanical it is not a hard task.
ETC likes this.

Whoever said a woman can't make up their mind never met a Male Motorcycle Rider

GWOF IB COUPLE #2

MEMBER GWOF IB TRIO #1/Overall #4

FR #91

Last edited by fossil92; 03-14-2019 at 05:29 AM.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 05:40 AM

It might be a good idea to have a pressure test first before taking it apart. It seems to me if it is the intake manifold, the bike would steam out of the exhaust. It might be as simple as a hose clamp that needs tightening.
fossil92, NREMTP and Luv2fish like this.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 08:33 AM
Lifetime Premium

The clamps on the the large radiator hose have been know to need tightening after the bike ages. The hose will weep a bit.

Honda used to put a clear tape on the hose connection that would dry and crack with age that caused a weep on those connections, On my 93 I removed the hose and cleaned the tape off.
budoka likes this.

From the Northwest Corner
Ron
The Land of Tall mountains
IDMWT #5

Last edited by Ron Robertson; 03-14-2019 at 08:37 AM.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 09:02 AM
Administrator

Garage
There are also sometimes burrs on teh fittings that weep as they age. A simple bit of sanding down will fix that. Once you locate the problem of course.

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 10:41 AM

Emergency -

Hey Kenny - I agree with the other members in recommending that you not try "stop leak" to solve the coolant loss. Your problem could very easily be only a loose clamp or hose down under the front cowling somewhere. There are lots of carburetor heating and engine cooling connections to check.

A "stop leak' product is most often used as a temporary solution in an emergency attempt to get you home. Although - As a kid I routinely added a can of STP and Radiator Stop Leak to my old "Beat-Um-Up Work Truck" that used almost as much water and oil as gas.

Ride Safe - Michael
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies. I"ll see what the mechanic finds. I live in Alaska, and don't have a place to work on the bike myself, (still too cold and wet to work outside), and, I am not very mechanically inclined. I can do the simple maintenance, (changing air filters, etc.,) but if it's the intake manifold gaskets, a little more than I could probably do. Will advise once I find out.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 01:50 PM
Lifetime Premium

Another little trick I found works. When the wing is stored in a COLD location, I put one of those old Mechanic trouble lights with a 60 watts bulb in it under the engine and leave it turned on 24/7 tall winter long. It doesn't keep the engine toasty warm but it helps reduce the effect on the cold on the engine. My old 93 would drip during the winter then i heard about the light under the engine, no more drips. I now do that on my 99.

From the Northwest Corner
Ron
The Land of Tall mountains
IDMWT #5
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 04:10 PM

Garage
I've always wondered how the stop-leak products can tell the difference between a tiny water passage that is supposed to be there and one that isn't supposed to be there?

Alan Hepburn
1994 GL1500SE with a California Friendship I Sidecar
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Update: The Honda mechanic found moisture around the water pump. He says he could not check the weep hole because it's' facing against a metal shield, and he won't be able to see it until he actually takes it out. He said he couldn't see any other place it was leaking. He also said there were small metal flakes in the antifreeze, which, along with the moisture, is the reason he wants to replace the water pump.

He also said the antifreeze in the bike was green. The Honda antifreeze is blue. The last radiator flush was done at the same shop, but a different person who is no longer working there. The current mechanic asked if I had put automotive antifreeze in it, but I assured him I did not, as I bought 2 extra Honda approved quarts from them.

A new water pump has been ordered. Will take about a week to get here. I will update once it's installed!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode