Timing or Cam chain noise - Honda Goldwing Forums
 2Likes

post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

Timing or Cam chain noise

So I have a low Grrrr sound starting on take off, gets less noticeable in second, very little in third and then goes away or cannot hear at least in 4th. saw this on another thread but thread was too old: My concern is engine noise which sounds a lot like a cam chain....Noise isn't real loud and usually only audible at low rpm when accelerating..

Anyone else got this? I guess I may notice it more after a all day drive but not sure if just because when come off highway my ears are more sensitive to it. Its really been doing it since probably about 5k on it, maybe even before that.

Thoughts? have 22k on bike, never had valve checked. ONLY under load do i hear it, never at idle or when idle revving engine.

Last edited by keller1234; 10-01-2018 at 04:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 06:11 PM

What year? Also, Where on the engine do you hear it? Front, rear, Left or right area?
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 02:49 AM

Alternater bearing? Looks like you have a fairly new model so it might still be under warranty.

If so donít hesitate to take it to the dealer!

Mark

2018 Goldwing Tour DCT Candy Ardent Red
'07 Trekker DL185 Trailer
AMA Member

DSi # 563 IDMWT #14
Riding soothes my soul.....

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 10:09 AM
Administrator

Garage
It's possible that it could be the timing gear or cam chain but very unlikely IMO. I kind of agree with the alternator idea myself.

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
[/COLOR]current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 12:57 PM

You can use a long screwdriver. Put it in different places on the engine, including the alternator, and rev the engine. It doesn't make sense that you can't hear it sitting still if it's the timing chain.
I've noticed if I hear any noise, I become more sensitive to it. I have a 2012 and the alternator whine is loud above 2500 rpm. I just ignore it now.
You may also be hearing some pre-ignition if you are lugging the engine.

2012 GL1800
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 06:25 PM

My 07 does it all the time. Loudest at idle but continues. Due to typical noises of riding a mc it’s less obvious on the road but it’s still there. It’s coming from the timing chain area and the rhythm increases with engine rpm. I feel fairly certain I’m hearing the chains and one of these days I’m going to investigate it in more depth. I’ve heard that a lot of the 1800s have this in common. Doesn’t mean there is a problem, just some are noisy.
keller1234 likes this.

Last edited by Oneway; 10-02-2018 at 06:32 PM.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 05:24 AM

Garage
In your post, you mentioned that it's been going on for 15k miles.

If that is true and the noise is in the same level range then what you have could just be a noise. A bearing, tensioner, chain, or whatever is going to get steadily worse with mileage.
Have you compared it to another wing??

Behind "Goldwing" Bars

I'm Claustrophobic so I ride a motorcycle
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 06:34 PM

Ok, so Iíve determined what Iím hearing IS the rear alternator bearing. Iím sure I can do this but if anyone has done it and can offer some tips, Iím all ears.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keller1234 View Post
So I have a low Grrrr sound starting on take off, gets less noticeable in second, very little in third and then goes away or cannot hear at least in 4th. saw this on another thread but thread was too old: My concern is engine noise which sounds a lot like a cam chain....Noise isn't real loud and usually only audible at low rpm when accelerating..

Anyone else got this? I guess I may notice it more after a all day drive but not sure if just because when come off highway my ears are more sensitive to it. Its really been doing it since probably about 5k on it, maybe even before that.

Thoughts? have 22k on bike, never had valve checked. ONLY under load do i hear it, never at idle or when idle revving engine.
Poor grade of gas. I think you are hearing piston slap or normally called engine knock because timing is too far advanced or poor gas. If timing is too far advanced then premium fuel is necessary. It goes away when not under heavy load is the hint.

Terry Dill of San Antonio

It's not the destination, but the getting there.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneway View Post
Ok, so Iíve determined what Iím hearing IS the rear alternator bearing. Iím sure I can do this but if anyone has done it and can offer some tips, Iím all ears.
If it is quieter under load it can not be the alternator bearing. It would get even louder no matter the load on the engine.

Terry Dill of San Antonio

It's not the destination, but the getting there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode