Timing or Cam chain noise - Page 2 - Honda Goldwing Forums
 2Likes

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 08:25 PM

I would not trust any non certified mechanic trying to diagnose your noisy bike by a description you state without the advice given without hearing the problem, themselves and that includes me, even though I went through the Honda Mechanics School in Arlington. But that was back in 1999.
keller1234 likes this.

Terry Dill of San Antonio

It's not the destination, but the getting there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TmDILL View Post
If it is quieter under load it can not be the alternator bearing. It would get even louder no matter the load on the engine.
Ok, that makes sense. What I hear is not a whining noise itís more of a growling. Listening with a stethoscope at the front of the alternator not so much; at the mid area more; at the rear of the alternator bingo. Itís loudest when started cold. At highway I still hear it but not as much because of other typical highway noises. 🤔
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gaeth View Post
What year? Also, Where on the engine do you hear it? Front, rear, Left or right area?
2013 sounds lke coming from front of bike behind timing chain cover

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneway View Post
My 07 does it all the time. Loudest at idle but continues. Due to typical noises of riding a mc itís less obvious on the road but itís still there. Itís coming from the timing chain area and the rhythm increases with engine rpm. I feel fairly certain Iím hearing the chains and one of these days Iím going to investigate it in more depth. Iíve heard that a lot of the 1800s have this in common. Doesnít mean there is a problem, just some are noisy.
this is complely diff from my sound, NEver Hear at idle or even when i rev engine....only when i take off in first, fades a little in second, fades more in third and then gone....not the sound when you start in higher gear then you should be in at start but simiilar growl.....again...its a Grrrrrr,
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 04:47 AM

While you may not hear it at idle you might be able to take a stethoscope if you have one or a wood handle screwdriver and listen at the area. It may be detectable at on one side more than the other. It is possible the cam chain adjuster is stuck a little and not fully taking up the slack in the cam chain. Although a chain loose is generally a rattle or tick type noise. Another possibility is the clutch which is in the front lower center below cam chains that may be the cause. I have seen on older bikes that sat around a long time that the clutch pack was sticking due to drying of the fiber plates and sticking to metal plates would have a similar noise description. Is it still under warranty?
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
While you may not hear it at idle you might be able to take a stethoscope if you have one or a wood handle screwdriver and listen at the area. It may be detectable at on one side more than the other. It is possible the cam chain adjuster is stuck a little and not fully taking up the slack in the cam chain. Although a chain loose is generally a rattle or tick type noise. Another possibility is the clutch which is in the front lower center below cam chains that may be the cause. I have seen on older bikes that sat around a long time that the clutch pack was sticking due to drying of the fiber plates and sticking to metal plates would have a similar noise description. Is it still under warranty?
i guess you might call it a rattle....intersting having trouble with my ignition pulse generator....sometimes it does not want to start and gives me the ignition pulse generator error....it does it about twice a quarter...lol....it just did it Sunday and my trick to start it is to roll forward in neutral and pop in gear and then roll back and do the same thing a couple of times and it starts....welll sometimes...sometimes i just have to let it set for a few hours....from what you describe, sounds like the chain adjuster, isnt that the same place the Ignition pulse is? I was going to change the IPg when i did my filter change soon, but not famililar with adjusting a tensioner...may leave to the professionals....its a 13 so no warranty,,
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 04:42 AM

If it is a sticking adjuster there is the access hole to each adjuster. It is used to back off the slack when adjusting the valve lash. It is spring loaded. Get out your service manual and back off the tension then release on both sides. Here is the parts fiche of the area:

http://fiche.worldofpowersports.com/...HAIN/TENSIONER

Has any thing been done like valves adjusted? Also, do you have a good technician nearby to get his/her opinion?
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-15-2018, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
If it is a sticking adjuster there is the access hole to each adjuster. It is used to back off the slack when adjusting the valve lash. It is spring loaded. Get out your service manual and back off the tension then release on both sides. Here is the parts fiche of the area:

http://fiche.worldofpowersports.com/...HAIN/TENSIONER

Has any thing been done like valves adjusted? Also, do you have a good technician nearby to get his/her opinion?
No no valve adjusted and again, since started prob at 5k or sooner, do you think valve issue. scarier if so.....no not really a personal relationship with a mechanic, just a dealership I 70% trust. thanks on schematic and advice.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-16-2018, 06:53 PM

I think at this point we are only guessing off a written description which is real tough. I think at this point I would ride into the dealer and have an experienced tech listen to it for an opinion.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 02:21 PM

Has anyone had a cam chain tensioner stick? If so what did you do? I see to change out the left one requires engine removal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode