1200 coils. - Honda Goldwing Forums

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

1200 coils.

I can't believe it. It has only been 3 years ago and I think my 1200 has the right coil quiting on me. And I remember what a pain in the rear end. I have taken my 1200 aside out of ear shot and had a heart to heart. Anymore of this crap when I am 10 day's away from my one big trip for the year, will mean a very sad future for it.
Because of the miles that I have seen on some 1200's, I don't see it as a high mileage 1200. with 135,000 miles. It is the only thing that has saved it.

When all else fails.......... use a hammer!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 10:51 PM

Garage
Hang in there mate. I expect that you have a spare or two, just in case. I have had coil problems in the past, ranging from chafed wires to broken mounts causing ground problems. You have this, man.

Bob
2012 ABS "Red Ghost"
IDMWT 65
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 06:09 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Don't be too hard on him mate, after all he's a down under 1200 and asked to do some things that an american 1200 is never asked to do.

Whoever said a woman can't make up their mind never met a Male Motorcycle Rider

GWOF IB COUPLE #2

MEMBER GWOF IB TRIO #1/Overall #4

FR #91

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 07:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fossil92 View Post
Don't be too hard on him mate, after all he's a down under 1200 and asked to do some things that an american 1200 is never asked to do.
Those Australian 1200's surely know how to dance.
My spare coil is 1500 kms away and I will not be back for 8 weeks.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 05:22 PM
Administrator

Garage
Em, what about the kangaroo courier or the "flying doctor"?

Sorry, my bad,,,,

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 06:09 PM

Neon Coils -

Hey Eric - Have you checked the resistor caps connected to each spark plug. They are supposed to be nominally around the 3k - 5k ohm mark. When a friend's barn find 1200 would hardly run, we found part of the problem to be that all the resistor caps were reading 12 k to 25 k. It also helped to repair a couple of wiring issues.

Once we had her running, we later replaced his original 30 year old coils with a couple of Dodge Neon coils. The OEM Honda parts have a very low internal resistance (.5 ohms) so needs the additional external 5 K ohm resistor caps to help control the circuitry current flow. (also supposed to help eliminate ignition static from the radio speakers). The Dodge Neon coils measured about 6 ohms so do not need the added external resistor caps. The primary reason we changed to automotive coils was price. The bike has been running great for well over a year now.

Good Luck - Michael
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 04:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmcdonald123 View Post
Hey Eric - Have you checked the resistor caps connected to each spark plug. They are supposed to be nominally around the 3k - 5k ohm mark. When a friend's barn find 1200 would hardly run, we found part of the problem to be that all the resistor caps were reading 12 k to 25 k. It also helped to repair a couple of wiring issues.

Once we had her running, we later replaced his original 30 year old coils with a couple of Dodge Neon coils. The OEM Honda parts have a very low internal resistance (.5 ohms) so needs the additional external 5 K ohm resistor caps to help control the circuitry current flow. (also supposed to help eliminate ignition static from the radio speakers). The Dodge Neon coils measured about 6 ohms so do not need the added external resistor caps. The primary reason we changed to automotive coils was price. The bike has been running great for well over a year now.

Good Luck - Michael
I replaced spark lead wires and resistor caps when I replaced the coil. But I have a question for you be cause I am not good with electrickery.
Can you see a benefit in 1500's coils for the 1200's. I maybe able to get some 1500 coils from a wrecker.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 08:53 AM

1500 Coils -

Hey Eric -The 1500 coil spec's have much more punch than the older 1200 coils. If you can locate some good used parts I'd go with them as an upgrade. Just check the coil body over real well for any age cracks or evidence of rust stains from water damage around the electrical connections.

We had located some"New Old Stock" Honda 1200 coils but - if I remember correctly - the total for both new Neon coils were only $28 vs well over $200 for the Honda dealer's OEM parts.

Good Luck - Michael
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 07:09 AM Thread Starter

Thankyou Michael, I think that I should be able to get some 1500 coils when we go back to Adelaide in October.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 01:25 PM

Grounds -

Hey Eric - Before replacing any parts you might check both your coil's electrical connections under the false tank. Especially inspect and clean the primary frame ground points for the coils and ignition unit. I've seen a poor ground cause an assortment of very strange issues.

Speaking of "Odd Ball" stuff on high mileage bikes - have you compared the symptoms you get from a finicky Bank Angle Sensor or a somewhat Intermittent Ignition Switch. One frustrating afternoon I helped disassembled a friend's 1500 almost down to the frame chasing a misfire - only to have him finally mention "Oh by the way, it always happens right after he washed his bike".

Good Luck - Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode