2014 GL1800 Won't start - Honda Goldwing Forums
 7Likes

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

2014 GL1800 Won't start

I have a 2014 GL1800. Went for a ride the other day, bike started and ran fine. Parked her in the garage and went to start it today, nothing. Starter engages fine, bike will not start. When you first turn it on, you can hear the fuel pump run then stop. The FI indicator comes on then shuts off. Tried cranking for a longer time, still wont start. Tried the "flooded engine" method, still won't start. Fuses are good. I am at a loss at this point. Ideas?? Thanks in advance. Yes, there is fuel in the tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 08:31 PM

Garage
but did you do the same as I did today..... first ride in about 3 weeks (toooo hot)
getting off of the bike and getting my mug from the cup holder, I guess I bumped the kill switch, and not so much it was obvious, but enough that it wouldn't start........ flipped the kill switch back and forth and put it in the run position, and wala, fired right up.

IDMWT member #80
Never walk, when you can ride!

current ride : 2013 GL1800 Audio Comfort

Darkside Yokohama Avid ENVigor 195/55 R16
non-runflat
Double Darkside Bridgestone BT45 Battlax Front

Past rides: '98 GL1500SE
'03 750 Kawasaki Vulcan
'81 850 Suzuki
'80 550 Suzuki
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Siegfried View Post
I have a 2014 GL1800. Went for a ride the other day, bike started and ran fine. Parked her in the garage and went to start it today, nothing. Starter engages fine, bike will not start. When you first turn it on, you can hear the fuel pump run then stop. The FI indicator comes on then shuts off. Tried cranking for a longer time, still wont start. Tried the "flooded engine" method, still won't start. Fuses are good. I am at a loss at this point. Ideas?? Thanks in advance. Yes, there is fuel in the tank.
Put it on the side stand, in neutral, and crank it for more than 10 seconds and it should flash the engine light indicating a failure code. Count the long and short flashes. Long = 10, short = 1. If it’s a 19, then the crankshaft position sensor is bad or has a bad connection on its plug.

Candy Red 2004

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 02:08 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techdude2000 View Post
Put it on the side stand, in neutral, and crank it for more than 10 seconds and it should flash the engine light indicating a failure code. Count the long and short flashes. Long = 10, short = 1. If itís a 19, then the crankshaft position sensor is bad or has a bad connection on its plug.
A question for you Techdude2000. When I park my 14 wing facing the sun on a hot day I will have a no start flashing code 19. When I push it into our air conditioned shop and pull off the front cover and go to use the labscope on the dang thing it starts and has a good waveform with no glitches. And it will start and run for several months before it will do it again. What is up with that. I have a new OEM sensor and gasket but want to know for sure that is my concern before I tear down and replace.

IDMWT Member #96

J.C.
1975 Honda GL1000 Mule deer really liked it
1982 Honda CM450E 118K when finally fell apart
2007 Yamaha V-MAX Rejetted Carbs made it scary fast.
2014 Goldwing Basic in black

Ride everyday except when raining (or snowing) on the way to work.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcsouders5464 View Post
A question for you Techdude2000. When I park my 14 wing facing the sun on a hot day I will have a no start flashing code 19. When I push it into our air conditioned shop and pull off the front cover and go to use the labscope on the dang thing it starts and has a good waveform with no glitches. And it will start and run for several months before it will do it again. What is up with that. I have a new OEM sensor and gasket but want to know for sure that is my concern before I tear down and replace.
Have you checked itís harness connector for oxidation? Have you pulled the shelter and checked the ECM connectors for oxidation? My guess is a little oxidation on the pins for it and warmth and humidity may be affecting the connections. I donít think the sunshine would change the temperature of the sensor itself on the inside of the engine.

Candy Red 2004
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 09:44 AM
Administrator

Garage
Clean the connectors and coat with dielectric grease.

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 02:40 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techdude2000 View Post
Have you checked itís harness connector for oxidation? Have you pulled the shelter and checked the ECM connectors for oxidation? My guess is a little oxidation on the pins for it and warmth and humidity may be affecting the connections. I donít think the sunshine would change the temperature of the sensor itself on the inside of the engine.
Well heck, I have some Honda dielectric grease. Guess I will change the air filter and grease some connections.

IDMWT Member #96

J.C.
1975 Honda GL1000 Mule deer really liked it
1982 Honda CM450E 118K when finally fell apart
2007 Yamaha V-MAX Rejetted Carbs made it scary fast.
2014 Goldwing Basic in black

Ride everyday except when raining (or snowing) on the way to work.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 04:29 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcsouders5464 View Post
Well heck, I have some Honda dielectric grease. Guess I will change the air filter and grease some connections.
Air filter ????? Did someone say change their air filter ??????

Sent from my E6830 using Tapatalk
jcsouders5464 likes this.

Lee.
Darksider since I finally saw the Light.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budoka View Post
Clean the connectors and coat with dielectric grease.
Dielectric grease is used for insulating HIGH voltage connectors, used mainly for waterproofing and insulating the seals on the connections.
A better product is DeOxit D5. It cleans the oxidation and the prevents any further oxidation. Designed for use with low current and low voltage circuits.
budoka, Chopin, Jinx and 2 others like this.

2012 GL1800
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

UPDATE: Pulled the return line from fuel pump, hit kill switch, pumped for couple seconds and shut off, like its supposed to. Fuel is clear, no water or crap. Kill switch works, off, no crank, on crank. Just no fire. Even went so far as to talk to a honda tech, he said he never heard of such a thing. I'm at a loss. Guess I am gonna have to break down and take it to a shop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode