Shifter Pivot - Ordered one, now a question - Honda Goldwing Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Oneway

post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Shifter Pivot - Ordered one, now a question

I'm pretty stoked, just ordered my GL1500 shifter pivot from Cyclemax. The shifting is starting to get a little clunky and everything I've read says it should fix it.

My question; the installation video is pretty straight forward, doesn't look like a big deal to install. I'm doing a new oil seal at the same time. Is there anything I need to look out for? Or, are there easier ways to get that old oil seal out?

Thanks in advance.

"It's not what you ride, it's simply that you ride"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-30-2018, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce St John View Post
I'm pretty stoked, just ordered my GL1500 shifter pivot from Cyclemax. The shifting is starting to get a little clunky and everything I've read says it should fix it.

My question; the installation video is pretty straight forward, doesn't look like a big deal to install. I'm doing a new oil seal at the same time. Is there anything I need to look out for? Or, are there easier ways to get that old oil seal out?

Thanks in advance.
No, it's straight forward. Putting new seal in and cutting the hole in the lower shield for clearance is about the worst of it. I installed on about 3 months ago. About a week ago I installed timing belts and water pump. Presently installing brakes all around and a rear tire.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
As pointed out, they are both fairly easy tasks. Nothing crazy.

I have the pivot on as well and it works well. Also folks have said and I just did it as well, that running synthetic oil helps with the clunky shifting. It does, I run Mobil 1 Motorcycle Oil.

Whoever said a woman can't make up their mind never met a Male Motorcycle Rider

GWOF IB COUPLE #2

MEMBER GWOF IB TRIO #1/Overall #4

FR #91

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-31-2018, 04:53 PM

Garage
I donít know if anyone else removed the old seal using a drywall screw but I did. Just be careful not to get the screw into the side. I carefully ran the screw in and the seal came right out. Also, I took the motor mount bolt out and slightly pryed the engine with a crow bar to get the inner shaft out. You may find that you will have enough clearance without doing that, I did not.
fossil92 likes this.

If we ever forget we are one nation under God we will be a nation gone under. Ronald Reagan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode