No electrical power! - Honda Goldwing Forums
 5Likes

post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

Angry No electrical power!

Good day! I attempted to start my 2000 gl1500SE. I turned the key and Nothing, no power to the system. The battery is fully charged, I tested the system. The main fuses good, I found no bad fuses, tested while under load, from the bike. I have power to the fuse box?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 09:06 AM

Is there anything cumming on, lights, dash ext .
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 09:36 AM
Lifetime Premium

If the lights work. Remove the two pop off panel on the right side look under the front one you'll see two large electrical connector on solenoid A , pull it out of the socket and give it a tap with a wrench. I know of three of these that have stuck. Then try to start the wing.

There are three relays/solenoids. In the relay box on the left side a blue colore relay #6 starts the sequence. It provides the trigger voltage to solenoid A. A passes the battery voltage from the battery and trigger voltage to solenoid B, which passes the start voltage to the starter.

From the Northwest Corner
Ron
The Land of Tall mountains
IDMWT #5

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

I have nothing for power, except. I did see faint light in the cluster and the radio indicator was lite, however no sound.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Ron, the lights don't work!
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph View Post
I have nothing for power, except. I did see faint light in the cluster and the radio indicator was lite, however no sound.

I suspect low actual battery amperage available. This may be due to internal damage of plate in battery, poor connection at battery due to corrosion. Also a battery bolt that is too long may prevent bolt from properly securing the cable to the post. A faint light anywhere could indicate also a poor ground connection to frame.

Wiggle the battery cables and also the key switch as the switch may also have a loose connection at the bottom of the switch or inside the internal switch itself.

Let us know as you proceed to eliminate or find the cause. Good luck and happy hunting.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

I truly appreciate the suggestions. However, I was like to be systematic. The bike was running fine prior to my adding a couple of lights, clearance type. As a rule at various stages of work I start the unit, as verification continual system status. I missed this one! Marks' first point LOW amperage? My analysis the amperage if the case drops after the battery. I checked the battery and connections past the main fuses. I cleaned and inspected the fuses. I have done the wiggle test several times. I used an electrical spray cleaner on the ignition switch. I have disconnected the new wiring as back tracking.

The hunt though challenging is far from happy!
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Did you disconnect the battery while installing the new lights? I have had a battery cable go bad that visually checks just fine.

2004 GL1800 Bloodstone Red Metallic
1988 GL1500/6 Martini Beige Metallic (Sold)
1984 GL1200 Pearl Saturn Red/Century Brown Metallic (Sold)
1981 Honda CM400T Candy Sword Blue with Metallic Light Blue (Cubed and Recycled)

IDMWT #23
Member #3480

Homo praesumitur bonus donec probetur malus

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 12:48 PM
Lifetime Premium

This happened to a friend on a cross country trip we were taking. His 95 was running good prior to us stopping for breakfast one morning, came out to leave and nothing, checked the battery terminals all seem well. Then just for the heck of it he got out a wrench and gave each terminal a little more tightening barely moved the bolts and it started. Might give it a try.

Or get some contact cleaner and flush out the ignition switch. ( keyed switch)

Ron
IDMWT #5
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 12:53 PM
Lifetime Premium

Also if it still has the old dog bone type main fuse take it out and make sure it isn't cracked.

Ron
IDMWT #5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode