Crankcase Ventilation Valve and mixing Amsoil - Honda Goldwing Forums
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By Behind bars
  • 1 Post By jcsouders5464
  • 1 Post By Luv2fish
  • 1 Post By guyval

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

Crankcase Ventilation Valve and mixing Amsoil

Today I was bored due to potential storms so I decided to catch up on motorcycle maintenance. I have one of those inspection cameras so I decided to check my air filter. After pulling the left pocket and fishing my way through to the filter I decided that it would be best to get one ordered.

Now that was done so I was checking other things that might need attention and ran across the "crankcase ventilation valve". Seems simple enough, pull 6 bolts from the cover, pull it and clean. Says should be done if you've ever "dropped the motorcycle". Ok, let's do this.

The 5 bolts that the manual said to pull came out pretty easy but the cover would not come out past my engine guard. Here's where I screwed it up. I decided to pull the 6 bolts above it to make more room. These six bolts hold on the left side valve cover. Before I noticed it I had lost about 1 quart of oil on the floor. The issue is that I use Amsoil and I didn't have any extra and I've ordered online in the past. Delivery usually takes some time.

Bottom line is now I'm sitting with the oil at the bottom mark on the dipstick. I called one place and they "think" they have the right oil. I'll stop by and check in the morning.

I'm supposed to go on a 200 mile ride on Saturday. Could I top it off with another good synthetic oil? I changed it about 4000 miles ago and would like to get another 4000 out of this. I hate to run it low.

BTW the crankcase ventilation valve was just fine. Didn't need to be done.

Steve

Steve

2015 Goldwing NAV/ABS
IDMWT #81
Fredericksburg, Virginia

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 08:02 PM

Garage
Glad to hear you got the camera down and looked at the filter. It's not a perfect view but give you a chance to see and large things like the mouse nest I have seen before. Yes, you can add another brand to the oil. Lots of the NAPA auto part store in my area sell Amsoil.

Enjoy that ride Saturday
Luv2fish likes this.

Behind "Goldwing" Bars

I'm Claustrophobic so I ride a motorcycle
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Brian.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve

2015 Goldwing NAV/ABS
IDMWT #81
Fredericksburg, Virginia

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 11:12 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2fish View Post
Today I was bored due to potential storms so I decided to catch up on motorcycle maintenance. I have one of those inspection cameras so I decided to check my air filter. After pulling the left pocket and fishing my way through to the filter I decided that it would be best to get one ordered.

Now that was done so I was checking other things that might need attention and ran across the "crankcase ventilation valve". Seems simple enough, pull 6 bolts from the cover, pull it and clean. Says should be done if you've ever "dropped the motorcycle". Ok, let's do this.

The 5 bolts that the manual said to pull came out pretty easy but the cover would not come out past my engine guard. Here's where I screwed it up. I decided to pull the 6 bolts above it to make more room. These six bolts hold on the left side valve cover. Before I noticed it I had lost about 1 quart of oil on the floor. The issue is that I use Amsoil and I didn't have any extra and I've ordered online in the past. Delivery usually takes some time.

Bottom line is now I'm sitting with the oil at the bottom mark on the dipstick. I called one place and they "think" they have the right oil. I'll stop by and check in the morning.

I'm supposed to go on a 200 mile ride on Saturday. Could I top it off with another good synthetic oil? I changed it about 4000 miles ago and would like to get another 4000 out of this. I hate to run it low.

Steve
Hope your wife was not mad about the oil all over the garage as i know how clean it >was<.
Luv2fish likes this.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 09:15 AM
Administrator

Garage
Yes, add another synthetic to your oil of the same viscosity rating. But as soon as possible change the oil and replace with pure Amsoil (or any other full synthetic).

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by budoka View Post
Yes, add another synthetic to your oil of the same viscosity rating. But as soon as possible change the oil and replace with pure Amsoil (or any other full synthetic).

Thank you. I found more Amsoil and just topped it off. Now to get the valve cover gasket to stop leaking. ☹️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chopin likes this.

Steve

2015 Goldwing NAV/ABS
IDMWT #81
Fredericksburg, Virginia

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 09:40 AM

I was on a trip last year, wait.....
a ....bike trip last year on my shadow.
And I ran amsoil in that bike as well and got to thinking what if I need oil and I can't find any amsoil?
When I got back and I visited the amsoil distributor, I asked him that.
He said you can always just add any regular oil not just synthetic. Only thing is, the life expectancy of the oil would then be like regular oil not the expected duration of synthetic oil between changes.
Makes sense to me, don't run low just because you can't find your brand on a trip.
Use what you can and fix it later at home.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
823Jim likes this.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 10:24 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyval View Post
I was on a trip last year, wait.....
a ....bike trip last year on my shadow.
And I ran amsoil in that bike as well and got to thinking what if I need oil and I can't find any amsoil?
When I got back and I visited the amsoil distributor, I asked him that.
He said you can always just add any regular oil not just synthetic. Only thing is, the life expectancy of the oil would then be like regular oil not the expected duration of synthetic oil between changes.
Makes sense to me, don't run low just because you can't find your brand on a trip.
Use what you can and fix it later at home.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
if I were using amsoil and found my oil level to be low on a trip I would stop and get some mobil1 for bikes and continue on my way

'75cb750k '05sunL 70
'79cb750f '93 gl1500 se
'79 super K '85 cb450 sc
'11 GSA
'06 mighty ST1300a

~ william ~
IDMWt #13
ama
GWOF iba with timS #03
iba 58509
mile eater
hat
moa
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2fish View Post

Steve
Thank you for your post very informative!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode