Speedometer reading wrong - Honda Goldwing Forums

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-12-2018, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Speedometer reading wrong

I've been reading on the forum that the plastic gear can strip and the speedo always reads zero. I'm having a different problem and was wondering if anybody had ran into it. At 55mph my speedo is reading 75. It seems that anything over 30 the bike starts adding mph. Any help would be appreciated. My bike is a 1987 aspencade.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 01:28 PM
Lifetime Premium

I can't remember what the speedo on the 87 is, Analog or digital. If it's digital, try Disconnecting the negative terminal of the Battery and allowing everything to reset. It works on my 04 Impala when the speedo or tac get goofy. Can't hurt to try.

From the Northwest Corner
Ron
The Land of Tall mountains
IDMWT #5
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 02:54 PM

The speedometer on the Aspy is digital. The speed sensor is mounted on the front wheel. The gear in the front wheel basically spins a magnet and pulses are picked up by the sensor mounted on the gear box. The sensor itself is no longer available. It's possible that the gear is "chattering in the gear box. You could take it apart (remove the front wheel) and check the gear for abnormal wear or lack of lubrication. It can also be a problem with the voltage getting to the sensor or getting to the speedometer assembly. Check the plugs for corrosion.
Here is a link for the entire assembly.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/382394691198?rmvSB=true

2012 GL1800

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the ideas. It does seem like this started after I put a new front tire on but could have been doing it before. I'm normally on back roads with just me and the wing so I just ride at my comfortable speed. The only reason I realized it now is because I was following my wife in her car. I knew she wasn't doing over 60 with our kid in the car on a 2 lane but my bike was reading between 70 and 80. I'll check the electrical connections and make sure there isn't any corrosion on them. Sure hope I don't have to take the wheel off again!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 12:00 PM
Administrator

Garage
Get a Garmin and then you'll have accuracy...

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by budoka View Post
Get a Garmin and then you'll have accuracy...
That's what I've decided to do at this point. My phone has a GPS speedo on it and it's dead on with the roadside speed readouts around town. As a bonus it only covers the speedo and I can still read the rest of my gauges. Thanks
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
So, I think I found my problem. 30 years of riding seem to have rubbed a hole in the insulation on the wires leading to the sensor. The wires are almost rubbed apart to. I'm going to cut out the corroded section and solder in fresh wire. May not be the problem but it can't be helping the situation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180421_212859_1524796194736.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	253490  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode