Gears - Honda Goldwing Forums
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Luv2fish
  • 1 Post By Eric

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-29-2017, 02:51 AM Thread Starter

Gears

I have two Goldwings 2010 and 2012 models. Both have developed the same problem. The last gear 5th (overdrive) keeps slipping out of gear. I opened the engine up (2010 model) to find various worn gears and a very worn shift fork. Before opening the 2010 up the wear was exerting tremendous pressure on the drum gear shift such that the plate securing it ( part no 24655-MV4-000 ) would get bent, allowing the drum to move slightly, causes all the gear to make nasty noises. So I used to change this plate pushing back the drum, to keep the gears in check and avoid using the 5th gear (max speed only 160 kph, 100 mph) Well I bought what i thought were all the affect parts, after an inspection, but on putting it back together, am getting all sorts of noises, even when in neutral and I press the clutch. I have concluded I missed a few bend or worn parts, so I intend to replace everything, all gears , forks and drum, or at least open it up and do a thorough check again. Any advice would be welcome. Are there any after market gears that are perhaps much stronger, the fact that both bikes gave the same problem, and five other bikes in a city called Port-harcourt have had the same problem, makes me believe it must be a common problem and as such an after market solution is probably available. Riding is very important to me, it has a therapeutic effect on me, I ride at least 1200 miles a month, I cannot do without a functional bike, thats why I have two.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-29-2017, 05:06 AM

I am not going to be any help to you but I must say I am impressed. 1200 miles a month. I had not heard of the 1800's having a problem with their gearbox. But then I don't think many riders would be doing over 100,000 miles a year either.

When all else fails.......... use a hammer!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-29-2017, 08:52 AM
Goldwing transmission problems as in: "Ghost Shifting".

http://www.justwings.com/Cause.html

Seen this awhile back, might be of help to you.

http://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=19424

There is more just search Goldwing ghost shifting.

Friends don't let friends do stupid stuff (alone)
2003 GL1800, 1978 Kawasaki KZ650(needs restoring)

"Glory Days"

Jim King, Beartooth Clan member, IDMWT #89, Geezer Gang #2, 2018 Beer Cap Champ

Last edited by 823Jim; 04-29-2017 at 08:59 AM.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 02:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
I am not going to be any help to you but I must say I am impressed. 1200 miles a month. I had not heard of the 1800's having a problem with their gearbox. But then I don't think many riders would be doing over 100,000 miles a year either.
1200 miles a month translates to around 14500 per year where did you get 100000 miles from. 1200 miles per month is nothing, I assume you have heard of the "iron butt"club, to join you must have done 1000 or more miles per DAY

Last edited by bayobanjo; 05-01-2017 at 02:12 AM. Reason: adds clarity
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayobanjo View Post
1200 miles a month translates to around 14500 per year where did you get 100000 miles from. 1200 miles per month is nothing, I assume you have heard of the "iron butt"club, to join you must have done 1000 or more miles per DAY

Eric is from Australia, he was using metric math.

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fossil92 and NREMTP like this.

Steve

2015 Goldwing NAV/ABS
IDMWT #81
Fredericksburg, Virginia

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayobanjo View Post
I didn't read the MONTH bit and thought that you were doing 1200 miles a week. But you are no where near that good and you are taking a whole month to do 1200 miles. Well that brings you back into the pack.
I have heard of the IB riders..................but have you heard of the CAT riders. I am a CAT rider.
fossil92 likes this.

When all else fails.......... use a hammer!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 08:50 AM
Administrator

Garage
I've heard of owners bending shift forks that have heel/toe shifters (I have one myself) from using too much pressure on the shifter. Personally I've never had the issue or a ghost shift in any of my 3 Wings. I've never heard of the plates and gears wearing though, I certainly don't think it's common or it would have been mentioned here long ago...

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode