Easiest Way to Access the Carburetors - Honda Goldwing Forums
 3Likes

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

Cool Easiest Way to Access the Carburetors

1989 GL1500 --- I need to remove my carbs and do a good cleaning. The pilot jets must be restricted or plugged, since the transition from idle up to where the main jets take over is very lean, with surging, misfiring, etc. I have overhauled carbs on numerous motorcycles, and that part, I am confident about.

My problem is: WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO GET TO THE CARBS? Which fairings or covers are the easiest to remove? The manual says the: Fairing lower cover; and the Fairing Inner Cover.

Is it possible to reach the carbs by removing the top compartment cover and ignition switch cover? I wish I could find a "YouTube" video, but so far, no luck.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 06:17 PM
Lifetime Premium

The seat, radio, key panel, the right side fairing, this has to come off so you can get to that the screw that releases strap the hold the carb base in the rubber boot on the intake.
You are also going to need an at least 18 inch Philips head screw driver, to release the carbs from the boot and one of those mirrors on a stick helps.

From the Northwest Corner
Ron
The Land of Tall mountains
IDMWT #5

Last edited by Ron Robertson; 07-06-2016 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Correcting
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 07:57 PM

Did you try some carb cleaner like sea foam first to see if it helps clear the crap.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Flash:
I added SeaFoam to a tank of gas in a ratio of 1 ounce per gallon of gas, and ran that whole tank out. Have done about 225 miles, but so far, no appreciable difference. I read one procedure whereby they drained the fuel from the carbs; then poured SeaFoam directly in via the fuel line. Let the bike set for 24 hours; drained the Seafoam; ran more gasoline for a day or so; then repeated the procedure. They claimed it did the trick. Of course, not being able to get to the carbs will prevent me from doing this, until I get the fairings and panels off.

If I get the fairings off, then I might as well do the disassembly and thorough cleaning.

Ron:
Thanks for th information. So the top panels and right side only (not left) should help. Thanks again.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 08:57 PM
Lifetime Premium

It's the panel with the side marker light. It comes off from the light down.
You have to remove the edge trim by the compressor control also. Pop the lower panel under the radiator loose on the right side or take it off all together. Works best to pudh in on the center at the top of the panel, that brings the upper corners out so you can pop them out of the grommets.
I'll PM you my phone number if you want to talk about it.

Ron
IDMWT #5
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up Carburetor Access

Special thanks to Ron Robertson who has not only supplied written instructions, but offered his phone number as well. We had a nice conversation yesterday morning.

I am happy to report that the carburetors are back on the motorcycle and it runs superbly. Extremely responsive; very smooth and quiet; no flat spots; no surging; instant acceleration; quick starting; and a huge increase in power. Wow what a difference.

Flash: The pilot jets were plugged with a piece of sand or hard material. I doubt it could have ever been dissolved with SeaFoam. I plan to use it occasionally just to keep things clean.

Ron:
As you told me, there is a band around the right side boot that connect the carbs to the intake manifold. The band has little prongs that keep them from slipping when you loosen the screws that tighten or loosen the bands. These screws can be accessed by using a very long Phillips screwdriver and sticking it through the side grills behind the cooling fans. Kinda like drilling a hole to China. There is a small port for the screwdriver, covered by a rubber plug. There is the same arrangement on the left side, and is accessed from the left side grills.

So now I feel qualified to help others to do this job. Thanks again. You guys are great!
Bamaeagle likes this.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 06:54 PM
Lifetime Premium

Way to go Bill Glad you got it worked out.
Enjoy the ride.

Ron
IDMWT #5
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2016, 11:01 PM

Garage
Glad you got it all worked out. There are some great guys/ gals here with a lot of info.

Ron we here in Alabama feel slighted that you have not visited our great State. With all you have been too I don't know how you missed us.

Roll Tide Roll !!!

Darkside Rear Tire: Federal FORMOZA FD2 175/60 R16 82H (GL1500)
Double Darkside-Bridgestone Battlax BT45 130/70/18 Front, Achilles Platinum 195/60/R16 Rear (GL1800)
Darksider # 1147

97 Honda GL1500 SE
2005 Honda GL1800

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 09:05 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaeagle View Post
Glad you got it all worked out. There are some great guys/ gals here with a lot of info.

Ron we here in Alabama feel slighted that you have not visited our great State. With all you have been too I don't know how you missed us.
I've been to Alabama, It's Georgia and Florida I've missed in the S.E. corner. I fear my LONG distance riding days might be coming to an end.

Ron
IDMWT #5
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Robertson View Post
I've been to Alabama, It's Georgia and Florida I've missed in the S.E. corner. I fear my LONG distance riding days might be coming to an end.
Catch a flight to Tallahassee or Jacksonville, Florida. I'll ride over there to meet you and you can ride my bike to cover those two states.
budoka and Cantankerous like this.

Mark
It matters not how good you are if an angel pees on the flintlock of your musket. Old German Military saying.
2010 Honda GL1800
GWOF IB Hat #1 with WARWGN
IDMWT #86

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode