Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Twsted Sisters

4K views 26 replies 10 participants last post by  Chopin 
#1 ·
I am looking for information on the Twisted Sisters or Three Sisters ride in the Hill Country of Texas. Places to stay, to eat, and other rides in the area would be helpful.:surprise:

#2 ·
This site should give you all the info that you are looking for.
The GWRRA chapter that I belong to was supposed to go Thanksgiving, but it rained the whole time, so we cancelled.
Sure wish we could have gone.

#3 ·
the 3 sisters is in my neighborhood/stomping grounds. I ride to Bandera and Leakey all the time from Lakehills, but don't ride the full 3 sisters loop as frequently. Lots of hotels and restaurants in Kerrville, but couldn't tell ya which ones were best, I don't ride into Kerrville much. A couple hotels in Bandera and several good places to eat. I'd recommend staying in Bandera. In Leakey, be sure to stop at Frio Canyon motorcycle shop and Bent Rim Grill, love their chili dogs. I have an awesome map of the hill country that identifies all the good bike routes. I could email to ya. It is a 22mb file so be sure your email server will accept large files like yahoo or gmail. There are lots of places to camp out in the area, but since I live here, I don't camp out. Fredericksburg and Luckenbach are good places to visit and good rides from Bandera, Lost Maples Natural area and Lone Star motorcycle museum at Vanderpool.

#5 ·

Attachments

#6 ·
Garner State Park was a good place to camp if you like that. It's a great area to ride. I need to go back again soon.

#9 ·
Thank y'all for the info. When are the bluebonnets and Indian paintbrush in bloom? It would be awesome to ride with that in the scenery. Now I just have to get the rest of us on the ride to agree on things. This is really helpful.:smile2:

#10 · (Edited)
Tom, you've gotten a lot of good info here. The site that NVSB4 gave you is very good. And the Butler maps are generally thought of as the best. They are available in many bike shops and RV campgrounds, even in Georgia.

There are several B&Bs in the area. Try http://www.b&b.com

The Lost Maples State Park has limited tent camping. Its really geared for the RV and trailer crowd. But Garner State Park has excellent tent camping.

The Sisters are twisted and undulating for sure, but not as radical as the Tail of the Dragon. You'll probably find the Sisters much more relaxed but still keeping you busy.

You can get good food at Neal's Family Dining Room in Concan. There are other places to eat in Concan, but Neal's was so good, I quit looking.

And if you're in Leakey on a Tuesday at noon, stop at Chicken Earl's. This old guy owns a small motor repair shop, but on Tuesdays, he serves fried chicken out of a small trailer. He opens at 11am and is sold out before 1pm. Check the reviews on TripAdvisor.com

One stop not mentioned is in Medina at the eastern edges of the Sisters. The Apple Store has everything related to apples....clothing, cooking utensils, jellies, and pies. And very good burgers.

The GWRRA chapter NVSB4 mentioned (I'm also a member) goes down there for a 3 day weekend at least once alternating years or more. For the 6 times I've gone with them, we've always stayed at the Best Western Sunday House in Kerrville. Kerrville is a large town with most of the national hotel and food chains.

Blue bonnets and paintbrushes hard to say. I think they bloom for about 3 weeks between mid March and late April depending on temps and rainfall. Keefer269 probably has better info than I do.

Let us know when you're going. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.

#11 ·
Blue bonnets and paintbrushes hard to say. I think they bloom for about 3 weeks between mid March and late April depending on temps and rainfall...........
It does vary a lot from year to year, spring 2015 was a good year, we had a lot of rain all winter and mild temps, the best time was late April to early May. The flowers were thick everywhere.

#12 ·
Here is a bluebonnet picture from April 7, 2014 on my way back from out twisted sisters meet-n-greet. They were scarce around the sisters but east of there were everywhere. So early to mid April would be a good guess.

Attachments

Reactions: Special Wing
#16 ·
Early March could be chilly, could be wet. But at least there is a plan for a ride. I'll be watching the weather. Hope its a great trip.

#19 ·
Tom, was this your day for the Sisters? If I had known what the weather was really going to do, I'd have been there. Stupid forecasts.

#20 ·
Nice riding down there in the Hill Country. Back in the USAF days, we travelled those roads, running from SA to Austin, didnt have bikes at the time, but it was still legal to drive with open containers in the car so we all had a cold one on the trip... Ahhhh memories. :)

#21 ·
#23 · (Edited)
So, you rode the sisters twice. Sounds like you had a great trip. I wish I had been there to share it with you.

Keep watching the forum. Somebody will set up a M&G within reach of north Georgia and we'll hope to see you there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.