ST1300 vs Goldwing - Honda Goldwing Forums

Old 07-27-2011, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

ST1300 vs Goldwing

Anyone have both? Or experience on both? How do they two compare in comfort, handling, weather protection, airflow?

I have a Goldwing and a CB750 Nighthawk. Lately I've been riding the Nighthawk because of the wonderful airflow in this hot weather The GW is starting to feel like a luxury car: big, heavy, and comfortable....and of course on a 90 degree, 80% humidity afternoon, the GW has too much protection from the breeze.

Most of the riding I do is on curvy back country roads. The Nighthawk seems much more responsive.

I'm starting to wonder if I should trade the GW on a sport/touring bike.

Comparisons and comments welcome.

thanks,
Ken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2011, 09:57 AM
Administrator

Garage
Ken there are quite a few of us (on the GWOF) that went from an ST1300 to a Wing, myself included. Now I'm a bit of a different case since i'm a Honda dealer and sometimes my whims get the better of me, but I bought my ST in '07 after a long time desire for an ST (I test rode one at Wing Fling Canada in 1989 or so) and it was just so much fun to ride. We have one member that sold his 2008 1800 and bought a Concours 14 this past year and loves the power and spritely handling of the Connie. I've ridden Connies and just preferred the St's manners over the more raw sport attitude of the Kaw. My missus didn't like the passenger accomodations of the ST so I went back to a Wing and I have an RC51 stable-mate for when I have the need for exercising my inner child, I just couldn't justify returning to an ST as an extra bike to play with. My first and all time love is still the Wing, It's my third and I've put over 200,000 miles on them since '84. But yeah, the ST is a fabulous bike, just beware of the fact that they are very capable of maintaining ultra high (illegal) speeds for hours at a time with no drain on you as a rider. Your license and wallet may be a whole other matter. Come to think of it, so's my RC51 for that matter

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
[/COLOR]current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
Old 08-05-2011, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator

i would think it would depend on what type of riding you do with the wing. if you and soqs ride together alot then hang on to the wing but if you go solo the st may be a better fit

'75cb750k '05sunL 70
'79cb750f '93 gl1500 se
'79 super K '85 cb450 sc
'11 GSA
'06 mighty ST1300a

~ william ~
IDMWt #13
ama
GWOF iba with timS #03
iba 58509
mile eater
hat
moa

Old 08-05-2011, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. I haven't made a final decision but more and more I suspect that a S/T bike is not for me. 99% of my riding is 40-60 mph, that's all the roads around here support.

I was hoping for something lighter and easier at slow speeds than the wing but still comfortable. From all the info I'm gathering, neither the ST nor the FJR really feel lighter at slow speeds. Apparently they carry their weight higher than the wing and won't give me the Nighthawk feel and the GW ride ;-)

For 2up riding, we have the trike. I was looking for something lighter handling than the GW but still as comfortable. I know....every bike is a compromise of one sort or another.

Ken

2009 GL1800 trike (CSC) wrecked
2012 FRJ1300
Old 08-05-2011, 11:10 AM
Banned

Ken, in all honesty, your signature bikes have it all covered.

If you really need a different thrill, buy a dual sport.

If you really want to buzz around town, get your hands on a Suzuki Burgman 650 or the Honda Silverwing 600 scooter. These are sport bikes in a scooter skin and will surprise many a cruisers on their performance. And practical too.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

and why isn your nighthawk listed in your sig with your wings .... well

'75cb750k '05sunL 70
'79cb750f '93 gl1500 se
'79 super K '85 cb450 sc
'11 GSA
'06 mighty ST1300a

~ william ~
IDMWt #13
ama
GWOF iba with timS #03
iba 58509
mile eater
hat
moa
Old 08-05-2011, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by detdrbuzzard View Post
and why isn your nighthawk listed in your sig with your wings .... well
Because I had planned to sell it when I got the Wings. But now I'm discovering that I really love that bike too!

Okay, I'll update the sig.

Ken

2009 GL1800 trike (CSC) wrecked
2012 FRJ1300
Old 08-05-2011, 02:00 PM

I just traded up from a 2010 St to my new 2012 Goldwing. So far my Goldwing feels lighter than the St more comfortable than the st and IMHO handles just as good as the St. I cannot speak for the 2010 that you have but maybe you should consider riding a 2012 I am not sure what changes have been made from 2010 to 2012 but there is no way I would get rid of a wing for a St. The St is very hot bike to ride in the summer I feel I can ride my Wing anytime as long as it is not raining molten lava.If I were you I would look for improving the wing or buy a pure sport bike to add to the stable if your looking to scrape your knees on the floor. In fact my X St felt much more top heavy than the wing and it tended to get some high speed wobble at around 90-95MPH. I think the St is a great bike when you cannot afford a Wing.Don't get me wrong if I could have kept both Bikes i would have as I loved my St the only thing that the St has over the Wing is the seat which allows you to ride it like a sport bike where the wing your butt is where it is so cornering is less fun on a wing however for me I will only add bikes to the stable but the wing stays.

Gone But not forgotten
1979 Yamaha XS 1100
1981 Yamaha Virago 550
1982 Yamaha Virago 920
198? Nighthawk 750
1989 Yamaha Venture Royal
1999 Harley Davidson FXWG
2002 Harley Davidson Electra Glide
2004 Harley Davdison FXWGFI
2004 Harley Davdison Fatboy
2010 Honda Fury
2010 Honda St1300
Old 08-05-2011, 02:39 PM

St vs. Goldwing thoughts

I purchased a new '06 ST and rode it for about three years. It's a great bike for long distance touring one up. It's not the best for two up riding, the back seat area is just not large enough. But if you're by yourself it's hard to beat.

I traded it for a new '09 wing which is great for two up riding. It handles just as good as the ST even with two on it. It's more comfortable than the ST although not by much.

So, if I always rode alone I would prefer the ST. But since my wife has adapted to riding better than I ever thought, the Goldwing is the right one.

You can look at my website and see both in action.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertwy View Post
I purchased a new '06 ST and rode it for about three years. It's a great bike for long distance touring one up. It's not the best for two up riding, the back seat area is just not large enough. But if you're by yourself it's hard to beat.

I traded it for a new '09 wing which is great for two up riding. It handles just as good as the ST even with two on it. It's more comfortable than the ST although not by much.

So, if I always rode alone I would prefer the ST. But since my wife has adapted to riding better than I ever thought, the Goldwing is the right one.

You can look at my website and see both in action.

I took a look at your 2009 trip to Colorado & enjoyed the pictures. My wife & I ride a 2005 Wing & hail from Allen, TX (about 25 miles north of Dallas). Hope to see you on the road one of these days.

"There is no such uncertainty as a sure thing." Robert Burns
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in