Accessory plug help!!!! - Page 2 - Honda Goldwing Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
EFINREF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Alabama
Posts: 7,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeaver View Post
Look at picture #3. The + (12v) wire is the red and is shielded. The ground is the black wire and exposed. Agreed? Now Battery Tender has those same connectors. And here is the catch. To connect to a battery with their pig tail, they have to reverse the wire polarity when joining the two connectors together. So that Red (+12v) is the shielded portion on one connector and its the un-shielded part on the mating connector. That keeps Red to Red and ground to ground. The sides of the plug recepticle pic 1 is ground and the center portion at the bottom is the + connection. Make sure that the center portion is connected to +12v and the side is connected to Gnd. You probably know all this anyway so this may be redundant. Isaac
Okay, from what I gather, photo 3 is the connector for a battery tender. No idea what photo 4 is leading to. Only way to know is to take the fairing off. Really didn't want to do that.....May just ride to Dustin's this weekend.

2008 ST 1300
IDMWT#2
IBA #49803
SS1000 and BB1500

THE VERY FIRST GWOF IB w/RALPHUMOR


No longer on the Darkside -



"It eases my mind to know, that in times like these, there have always been times like these."
Paul Harvey
EFINREF is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
EFINREF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Alabama
Posts: 7,206
This is what I know now. Just talked to the previous owner. He did put the plug in himself. Photo 4 with the wire nuts is the wire to that plug. Photo 3 is to a battery tender. He said he never connected the wires for the plug. Remember, I tried to connect this wire to the SAE with a inline 5A fuse at the red.

My new question is, should I have just connected them to the battery? or should the connection to the SAE have worked????

2008 ST 1300
IDMWT#2
IBA #49803
SS1000 and BB1500

THE VERY FIRST GWOF IB w/RALPHUMOR


No longer on the Darkside -



"It eases my mind to know, that in times like these, there have always been times like these."
Paul Harvey
EFINREF is online now  
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014, 12:25 PM
Senior Member
 
WARWGN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Central Mississippi
Posts: 2,491
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EFINREF View Post
Okay, from what I gather, photo 3 is the connector for a battery tender. No idea what photo 4 is leading to. Only way to know is to take the fairing off. Really didn't want to do that.....May just ride to Dustin's this weekend.
I got burgers and dogs we can throw on the grill, and plenty of beer and even some Genteman Jack left. Of course you can stay in the camper if you need to over night it, it has A/C and everything. Erica is out of town so I got nothing going other than mowing the yard.

2003 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000 (Red Sonja)

Yeeehaawwww!!

Dustin

WARWGN is online now  
 
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
EFINREF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Alabama
Posts: 7,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by WARWGN View Post
I got burgers and dogs we can throw on the grill, and plenty of beer and even some Genteman Jack left. Of course you can stay in the camper if you need to over night it, it has A/C and everything. Erica is out of town so I got nothing going other than mowing the yard.
Why is it that fellas think promises of beer and Jack is the way to my heart.

I mean.....your right.....just wondering if its that obvious.

2008 ST 1300
IDMWT#2
IBA #49803
SS1000 and BB1500

THE VERY FIRST GWOF IB w/RALPHUMOR


No longer on the Darkside -



"It eases my mind to know, that in times like these, there have always been times like these."
Paul Harvey
EFINREF is online now  
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014, 01:26 PM
Lifetime Premium
 
WingnutGordo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bel Air Md
Posts: 5,397
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EFINREF View Post
Why is it that fellas think promises of beer and Jack is the way to my heart.

I mean.....your right.....just wondering if its that obvious.
Damn I'll ride down for beer and Jack

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

2015 GL1800 Candy Apple Red
2006 Victory Vegas
GWOF Member #9500
IDMWT #16
Original GWOF IB Trio Member (gordo,fossill,goldwingking)
AMA Member
NRA Member
A good long ride can clear your mind, restore your faith, and use up a lot of gas
WingnutGordo is offline  
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014, 01:43 PM
Senior Member
 
WARWGN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Central Mississippi
Posts: 2,491
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDO View Post
Damn I'll ride down for beer and Jack

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
I got plenty so come on down!!

2003 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000 (Red Sonja)

Yeeehaawwww!!

Dustin

WARWGN is online now  
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014, 01:48 PM
Senior Member
 
WARWGN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Central Mississippi
Posts: 2,491
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EFINREF View Post
This is what I know now. Just talked to the previous owner. He did put the plug in himself. Photo 4 with the wire nuts is the wire to that plug. Photo 3 is to a battery tender. He said he never connected the wires for the plug. Remember, I tried to connect this wire to the SAE with a inline 5A fuse at the red.

My new question is, should I have just connected them to the battery? or should the connection to the SAE have worked????
so your saying he never wired the battery tender plug to the battery?

I would say undo the wire nuts and check those wires, one side or the other should go to the battery (using a realy or fuse, or any various means of connection for permenant connection) so you can check if the ACC plug is working or not.

2003 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000 (Red Sonja)

Yeeehaawwww!!

Dustin

WARWGN is online now  
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
EFINREF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Alabama
Posts: 7,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by WARWGN View Post
so your saying he never wired the battery tender plug to the battery?

I would say undo the wire nuts and check those wires, one side or the other should go to the battery (using a realy or fuse, or any various means of connection for permenant connection) so you can check if the ACC plug is working or not.
Okay....I'm getting closer.

1. I checked the battery tender wire and got .2. Not good
2. Checked the battery on the bike and got 13.2. Good
3. I hooked a battery to the wires leading to the plug and it reads 12.7. (That tells me the wires the plug are correct)

My next plan is to connect those wires straight to the battery.
Should that do it? Or, is there a potential problem with that plug running the battery down? Know that I only use the plug while the bike is running.

2008 ST 1300
IDMWT#2
IBA #49803
SS1000 and BB1500

THE VERY FIRST GWOF IB w/RALPHUMOR


No longer on the Darkside -



"It eases my mind to know, that in times like these, there have always been times like these."
Paul Harvey
EFINREF is online now  
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014, 02:28 PM
Senior Member
 
WARWGN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Central Mississippi
Posts: 2,491
Garage
that should be fine, as long as you dont leave something plugged into it there will be no drain. Make sure you put a fuse in line somewhere so if there is an issue it wont smoke the wires.

2003 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000 (Red Sonja)

Yeeehaawwww!!

Dustin

WARWGN is online now  
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-21-2014, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
EFINREF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Alabama
Posts: 7,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by WARWGN View Post
that should be fine, as long as you dont leave something plugged into it there will be no drain. Make sure you put a fuse in line somewhere so if there is an issue it wont smoke the wires.
Putting a 5amp fuse on the red wire.
Thanks....I will keep you posted

2008 ST 1300
IDMWT#2
IBA #49803
SS1000 and BB1500

THE VERY FIRST GWOF IB w/RALPHUMOR


No longer on the Darkside -



"It eases my mind to know, that in times like these, there have always been times like these."
Paul Harvey
EFINREF is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome