Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Buzzing noise, new rear tire, bike laid on guards for 3 days

3K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Flintlock 
#1 ·
My 2008 developed a speed related buzzing noise after changing the rear tire. Due to logistical issues the bike laid on its guards for three days before I could get the wheel with the new tire back on. Since then the bike makes a speed related buzzing noise. It become audible at around 25 mph loader through 40 mph then less so. Vibration at highway speeds in noticeable. Tire was balanced with dynabeads. I immediately thought I had a tire problem but can find nothing wrong and neither can dealer. Dealer claims head shake and front fork seals as the problem but I can't make the association. If it's not the tire I wonder if leaving it laid over for three days might have done something. Thoughts welcome as to what might be going on.

#2 ·
Laying the bike over on it's (right?) side with the wheel off shouldn't cause any issues as long as the bike was properly supported so as not to put stress on any bodywork. Even if it did lay on the bags or fairing etc, that shouldn't cause anything like you mentioned. How many miles on the bike? I would suggest letting one of your dealer's techs take it for a spin to try and Identify what it might be.

#3 ·
Its strange that the noise started after the tire was installed and the bike made no noise prior. It seems that it would have something to do with the new tire. Maybe you could put the bike on the center stand and spin the rear tire by hand and see if you notice any noise. If you figure it out, keep us posted.

#4 ·
Yes, laid over on it's right side on the guards. I had 1/2" plywood cover with a moving pad between concrete and the guards. The bike spent a day at a dealer who only identifed head shake and front fork seal issues which I am struggling to believe. Nothing that explains the noise. I have put the bike on the center stand and spun the wheel looking for an out of round condition or some other anomoly but find none. Dropped the bike off at another dealer yesterday. We'll see what they come up with.

#6 ·
I probably have around 8,000 on my front and it is in pretty bad shape. Not wear wise but cupping and visible uneveness. It wasn't though until I changed the rear.

I took the bike to another dealer who also identified bad head shake but not the noise. I did a +1700 mile trip before my first post and briefly road down the highway no-handed while unzipping vents in my outer jacket. Sure think that would be a freak-out thing to do if head shake was prevalent but two dealer have now identified head shake. I can't wait to see what it feels like once the bearing has been replaced. Maybe I can then figure out what wasn't feeling. Still, no one can identify the noise. Probably going to have to replace the front tire just to rule that out. Hey, it's only money, right?

#12 · (Edited)
Nuttin like the smell of bulls, right Fossil.??

Actually what your smelling is probably from D.C. Same smell, different bull.

Reactions: fossil92
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.