Getting closer, sort of! - Honda Goldwing Forums
 7Likes

post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2016, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Getting closer, sort of!

Went to a dealer today with some friends and was able to sit on a 2015 Goldwing for the first time with it being off the center stand. First dealer that let me take it off the stand. I was always so so about how I fit on the bike when it was on the stand. I have real long legs and it felt like my shins were up against the fairing. However, when it was down off that stand it was totally different and felt comfortable. Really, Really comfortable. I thought I was falling in love with the bike until I realized it didn't have Nav, XM, or ABS. They said they had one like that in a crate. I was excited and was really thinking today might be the day. We left and rode to a nearby diner so that I could think through it and talk it out before making an impulse trade in. In the end, I just couldn't do it. I'm having a lot of trouble getting past a bike costing this much and not having bluetooth built in, LED or HID lighting, voice activated controls, etc... I'm not sure if the Nav/Audio screen is touch screen but if isn't it should be. I've grown accustomed to having all of this built into a bike at this price point. Is Honda planning on doing this stuff? Seriously, this would be the first bike I've had in years where I wouldn't have to run out and get a new seat just to enjoy it, or change the windshield, or immediately throw on highway pegs, or do a stage 1 just to make it feel like it wasn't anemic. I can even get past the almost silent exhaust pipes because its just so damn comfortable and the engine is like a Honda Civic. I just can't get past the creature comforts that I'd be giving up, and I don't want to muck with the bikes electronics with 3rd party stuff. TURMOIL, HELP!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2016, 08:32 PM
Lifetime Premium

What are you currently riding?

Lee.
Darksider since I finally saw the Light.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2016, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopin View Post
What are you currently riding?
A Harley Davidson Limited. Very nice machine, however I have these visions in my head of going across country and traveling with the wife pulling a trailer. Just don't see the big V-Twin as being the bike to do that on for a number of reasons.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2016, 08:43 PM

Garage
I feel your pain as I've just purchased a GW trike so the wife and I can ride together. I am amazed and disappointed at some of the options Honda hasn't put on their best scooter. I decided to keep my Harley Limited for bells and whistles and the GW for rides with the wife. Sooner or later Honda will modernize and make GW's for the tech savvy rider. Please don't take my comments as a slap at Honda or GW's as I really love our trike. Good luck with your decision.
Bill
slowrollin likes this.

I am growing older but I'm not growing up!

Last edited by paid4c4; 05-07-2016 at 08:50 PM.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2016, 08:45 PM
Lifetime Premium

Getting closer, sort of!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowrollin View Post
A Harley Davidson Limited. Very nice machine, however I have these visions in my head of going across country and traveling with the wife pulling a trailer. Just don't see the big V-Twin as being the bike to do that on for a number of reasons.

Yes sir. I rent the latest edition of the Harley edition annually in Arizona. I know what you mean about the technological paucity. It's a trade off and compromise.
AZgl1800 and slowrollin like this.

Lee.

Last edited by Chopin; 05-07-2016 at 08:51 PM.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2016, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Yes sir. I rent the latest edition of the Harley edition annually in Arizona. I know what you mean about the technological paucity. It's a trade off and compromise.
I see you're in Centerville, VA. I know it well. Worked in Herndon for 15 years and lived MD. Nice are out there in Fairfax County. I used to love the ride out on 66 (on the weekend) going to Front Royal to pick up Skyline Drive. Good times!
Chopin likes this.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 09:26 AM
AZgl1800
Why not forgo the "brand new" route and pick up a gently used one with 2 or 3 years on her.

for about a third the price, everything else will be the same as new, simply because mother Honda hasn't changed a damn thing worth mentioning since 2001.

I have a very nice '02 and I can't see paying for ABS, or that stupidly crappy POS thing they call a NAV....

I have a Garmin 2797, yes a 7 inch screen that I can really see!
mounted to the handlebar with a RAM mount, it is solid as a rock, and does not interfere with me seeing all of the gauges on the panel.

I also have it wired into the intercom, so I can hear it talk to me....
most of the time, it is on the Details page with the current Speed nice and big....
I do NOT want any speeding tickets.
and the speedometer is off 6+ mph, what a POS that thing is... there is NO excuse for the speedometer having any error at all, much less 6 mph at 65 mph.
slowrollin likes this.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 09:31 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowrollin View Post
I see you're in Centerville, VA. I know it well. Worked in Herndon for 15 years and lived MD. Nice are out there in Fairfax County. I used to love the ride out on 66 (on the weekend) going to Front Royal to pick up Skyline Drive. Good times!
Where be you hanging out now ?

Lee.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Back in NJ.
Chopin likes this.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Moved back to Jersey in Burlington County.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode