Touring Helmets - Page 4 - Honda Goldwing Forums
 7Likes

post #31 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016, 04:00 PM

Garage
My HJC modular is noisy and has poor ventilation. It is also pretty heavy. I do really like the integrated sunglasses. I put a strip of black electrical tape across the top of them to help deal with early morning commutes into the rising sun (well, before I retired).
Hmmm, I guess that helmet is getting kind of old. Maybe I should take a look at the Shoei.
WingStuff has them for $596.99.

Bob
2012 ABS "Red Ghost"
IDMWT 65
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016, 06:51 PM

Garage
If you're willing to spend that much, you really should try Schuberth. C3 and C3 Pro ( different shapes). BMW cycle shops carry them I think.
post #33 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016, 08:30 PM

I read the Schuberth are really hot in the summer, not much ventilation is that true?

You lips move but I can't hear what your saying

2014 GL1800 Audio Comfort Candy Red
2011 Vulcan Vaquero sold
2009 Vulcan 900LT sold

post #34 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty360 View Post
I read the Schuberth are really hot in the summer, not much ventilation is that true?
Haven't really read or heard that although Schuberth doesn't fit on everybodies head. After researching I found that I wouldn't fit mine. From what I understand its a different way of thinking. Maybe a minimalists way of design. Overall helmet is smaller than a regular helmet. Not smaller fitting or tight but maybe the thickness of the liner. Makes for a light helmet. Schuberth is considered the premium standard of modulars so it would be surprised if it didn't ventilate well.

Last edited by HappyTrails; 05-04-2016 at 08:42 PM.
post #35 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016, 09:08 PM

Garage
Fully closed, the Schuberth is hot. But the visor can be cracked open slightly, which mitigates the problem.
post #36 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-04-2016, 10:56 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NREMTP View Post
My HJC modular I do really like the integrated sunglasses. I put a strip of black electrical tape across the top of them to help deal with early morning commutes into the rising sun
A big problem for me is not being able to shield the early sun up and late sun down while driving. I like the Black Tape idea to block the sun since there aren't snaps to add a sun shielding visor to my integrated helmet, and will add the tape to the top edge of my pop down tinted glass to give it a try. Thanks, NREMTP

Al

Current ride is a 1993 1500 Aspencade, and it's Red, because, well, you know...

1978 KZ 650 Kawasaki
1974 KZ 400 Kawasaki
post #37 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 06:49 AM

Garage
Many tests have been done on helmets and the verdict is that basically they are all the same regarding safety. It's the foam that protects not so much the shell. So I don't necessarily go for a brand name what I look for is how does it feel and fit and how easy is it to get replacement shields.
I ended up just buying 2 matching helmets at Fleet Farm and also picked up 4 extra shields, 2 plain and 2 tinted. Installed SENA 10 bt communicators and all is good.
I tried out several brands at the local shops but found the Fleet Farm units to be the most comfortable along with best price ($89 full face)

The key for me is finding one that fits and will be comfortable for all day rides as I tend to take off and go all day with few stops.
And when it comes right down to it few people around here even wear helmets so I figure anything is better than nothing. And yes I have crashed and walked away before

A Minnesota Company
“Take the right turn”
www.EndeavorTrikes.com
post #38 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 02:11 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by segwaywinger View Post
A big problem for me is not being able to shield the early sun up and late sun down while driving. I like the Black Tape idea to block the sun since there aren't snaps to add a sun shielding visor to my integrated helmet, and will add the tape to the top edge of my pop down tinted glass to give it a try. Thanks, NREMTP
You are welcome. For me, I have to tip my head forward just a bit to bring the "visor" into play, but also I can slightly tip the helmet on my head if needed.

Bob
2012 ABS "Red Ghost"
IDMWT 65
post #39 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinetc View Post
Fully closed, the Schuberth is hot. But the visor can be cracked open slightly, which mitigates the problem.
Have to crack shield on neotec too. Its not hot but air doesn't vent in the front too well and it gets a little stuffy. The top vent seems to move tons of air so much that you really notice it sound. But it is a surprisingly quiet helmet. A lot quieter than my Arai.
post #40 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 03:31 PM
TAL

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to TAL
For the Schuberth.

Heat: Crack open the shield (as mentioned before).
Sun: Try the Iridium shield. Combined with the Sun Visor I really do not have a problem driving in the Texas sun.

Tom
IDMWT Club Member # 82
Have you confessed today?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode