Wanting to add Bluetooth - Honda Goldwing Forums
 3Likes

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 04:04 PM Thread Starter

Wanting to add Bluetooth

I visited a dealer near here today and asked about adding Bluetooth to the Goldwing. They said you could add Bluetooth to the bike and have it integrated into the bikes system so that you could send/receive/answer calls as well as play music. However, they could not remember the name of the company that made the product. Anyone heard of this?

I know it's probably not a big deal to most folks, but I've gotten used to that built in ability on my current bike and really like it. I'm not real keen on mounting the blue tooth on my helmet and spending hours with that thing radiating next to my head, and I don't want to rely on running the bluetooth from a battery anyway, so I don't want to use the Scala Rider Sena type of product.

Last edited by slowrollin; 04-27-2016 at 05:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 05:38 PM

The video quality is not great but this guy shows how to do it. Pretty cheap and easy too.

http://youtu.be/9UQBmqAvpXM

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Just a way faring stranger
IDMWT#85
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 07:06 PM
JRD

I'd like to get a Bluetooth setup for my 2012 with Nav. I understand that you can get an adapter for the GW 5 pin connector that will allow a Bluetooth transmitter to work. I think the adapter is called a 5 Pin Din to 3.5mm headset adapter. Then you would need Bluetooth speakers or ear buds. Should be a lot easier on the newer GW than on the older one in the video.

JRD

Current rides:
2012 GW (with my better half)
2005 ST1300 (for lots of fun)

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 08:09 PM
Super Moderator

I had my wing wired so I can play music off my phone ..I hear the phone ring...so I pull over and answer it..lol I already have hard wire intercom and a CB I don't use..
slowrollin likes this.

IBA #42245
SCMA
RETIRED
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 08:34 PM
JRD

My 2012 has the USB connection in the trunk, so I can hook my IPhone there and play it through the speakers easily. Now if I can figure out the best setup to get the sound wirelessly to helmet speakers, I'll be set.
slowrollin likes this.

JRD

Current rides:
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 10:14 PM

Garage
I use the Sena systems. They have Bluetooth headsets and 2 different Bluetooth interfaces that can be connected to the wing's intercom connection, one interface is for use with two way radios, the other without.

Bob
2012 ABS "Red Ghost"
IDMWT 65
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowrollin View Post
I visited a dealer near here today and asked about adding Bluetooth to the Goldwing. They said you could add Bluetooth to the bike and have it integrated into the bikes system so that you could send/receive/answer calls as well as play music. However, they could not remember the name of the company that made the product. Anyone heard of this?

I know it's probably not a big deal to most folks, but I've gotten used to that built in ability on my current bike and really like it. I'm not real keen on mounting the blue tooth on my helmet and spending hours with that thing radiating next to my head, and I don't want to rely on running the bluetooth from a battery anyway, so I don't want to use the Scala Rider Sena type of product.
The whole purpose of folks going Bluetooth is to shed the wires tying them to the bike. If you don't run a battery operated device then you must wire it,, unless you are privy to some other alternative power source. The battery operated Sena units are good for 12-18 hours depending on how you use it

1995GL1500 Interstate w/Champion Sidecar
1993 GL1500 I
1986 Yamaha Venture
IBA # 34911
N4RWM
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Myers View Post
The whole purpose of folks going Bluetooth is to shed the wires tying them to the bike. If you don't run a battery operated device then you must wire it,, unless you are privy to some other alternative power source. The battery operated Sena units are good for 12-18 hours depending on how you use it
Not exactly correct here. On another manufacturers bike, you plug your phone into the USB interface, which keeps the phone charged (not necessary if you just want to run the phone battery down). You turn on the bluetooth on the phone and pair it with the bluetooth on the radio. You then plug my helmet speakers into the intercom port. This allows you to hear the phone ring, see who's calling, answer the phone, use the intercom, and the CB.

I'm sure there is a way to do the exact same thing on the Goldwing. That's what I'm after. I'm sure it can be done, I just haven't figured it out yet.

I know it's not a big deal for a lot of folks, but I have issues at home that require me to be as accessible as possible.
dBwingin likes this.

Last edited by slowrollin; 04-28-2016 at 09:20 AM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowrollin View Post

I'm sure there is a way to do the exact same thing on the Goldwing. That's what I'm after. I'm sure it can be done, I just haven't figured it out yet.
call me when you can and I will help you all I can. Have done this many times on GL1500, and some GL1800
859-253-2259

1995GL1500 Interstate w/Champion Sidecar
1993 GL1500 I
1986 Yamaha Venture
IBA # 34911
N4RWM
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016, 01:33 PM
JRD

Hi Bob. Could you post the info as I'd like to do it as well for my 2012 GW....Thx

JRD

Current rides:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode