Floorboard question - Honda Goldwing Forums

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

Floorboard question

I've grown accustomed to riding with floorboards. It seems like everyone I know changes out their footpegs for Kuryakyn boards. Why is it Honda has never saw fit to make this a stock setup? I just helped a friend put the Kuryakyn boards and heal-to shifter on his bike. Didn't care for the look so much. It just kind of looked like an after thought to me. One thing I'm dreading about a new bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 09:42 PM

Garage
There are many wing owners that absolutely do not like floorboards and prefer the pegs. I suspect that the designers may have felt that pegs better reflected the sporty nature of the bike. I prefer the boards, myself.

Bob
2012 ABS "Red Ghost"
IDMWT 65
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NREMTP View Post
There are many wing owners that absolutely do not like floorboards and prefer the pegs. I suspect that the designers may have felt that pegs better reflected the sporty nature of the bike. I prefer the boards, myself.
I would have never thought that. I see so many bikes with boards on them, I just assumed that was the preference of most owners.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 10:24 PM

There is also the fact of where the peg is located. Probably 80%+, will put highway footrests on the 'Wing, usually something larger than a peg. And since most of our riding is longer rides, that is where the feet will be most of the time. Where are you going to spend the most money to get the most comfort?

2003 GL1800/MotorTrike Adventure IDMWT#25x3
Ride often. Ride far. Ride safe and do much more of both.
Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach him how to surf the GWOF and he won't bother you for weeks, maybe months
I'll be waitin' for you at the end of the road.
If everything had gone as planned, it would not have been an adventure.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 12:05 AM
AZgl1800
I hate floorboards!

I had a '94SE w/pegs and added highway pegs to stretch out my legs.

I had a '98SE with floorboards and a Heel Toe Shifter, and I did NOT like it at all....
it is too easy to spain an ankle if you get in trouble at a stop, you can run right over your foot... and I have. never again.

also, it spreads your feet too far apart, and for some folks who are height challenged, that is a real no no..... not everyone is 6 ft, 6 inches tall...

. most are more like 5' 8" with 30 inch inseams. and for those, floorboards are a disaster.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 03:58 AM

Personally I like boards, have a set on my HD Road King and recently bought a set for the 'Wing. Have not installed on the wing yet, but when I do, I will probably post my opinion of them along with the heal toe shifter. Everybody likes different things, that's why there are different things.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 09:43 AM
Lifetime Premium

Love the Floor Boards on my 1500, no knee pain like I had when I had the pegs 23 years ago. Would have a wing with out them.

From the Northwest Corner
Ron
The Land of Tall mountains
IDMWT #5
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 10:28 AM

My 2 cents worth...

I wanted to drop the pegs slightly to straighten out the bend in my knees. The Kuryaken Mini Floorboards dropped them by 3/4 inch (doesn't sound like much but it helped). There was no need to change the shifter or brake levers and they don't drag. These worked for me.

Jim
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 11:15 AM
Administrator

Garage
All 3 of my Wings I converted to boards. Like Ron, I wouldn't be without them. Simply a matter of personal preference. As to the matching, I nixed the stock passenger boards for the Kury Transformers, and with the highway boards I have a 3 piece matching set, no more miss-match, looks like it all came that way. Yes, it did cost, but some things I deem worthy of $$.

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcgilroy View Post
My 2 cents worth...

I wanted to drop the pegs slightly to straighten out the bend in my knees. The Kuryaken Mini Floorboards dropped them by 3/4 inch (doesn't sound like much but it helped). There was no need to change the shifter or brake levers and they don't drag. These worked for me.

Jim
Oh, they drag.!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode