driving light suggestions - Honda Goldwing Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By AZgl1800

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

driving light suggestions

I want to add some driving lights to my wing,
my old bike had them- but I wrecked that one ( long story) . The new to me wing does not have any drving lights. I am thinking of a set from electrical connection:

http://electricalconnection.com/inde...riving-lights/

but no idea which ones.
I want to be seen that is the main goal, I leave them on all the time.

Any suggestions, feed back or even a different vendor would be welcome thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 11:59 AM
AZgl1800
the ones I have are Show Chrome and fit in the lower fairing holes like OEM.

very bright, makes the bike look a lot bigger to oncoming traffic....

not worth a damn for "useful light down the road though", too low to the ground. Great curb illuminators though.

I have 55 W HID bulbs in the low beams, that takes care of "down the road", and they are relay switched from the Low Oil Pressure switch.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 12:15 PM

I have 55 W HID bulbs in the low beams, that takes care of "down the road", and they are relay switched from the Low Oil Pressure switch. ????????????????????????????

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 01:02 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003 GL1800 POLICE View Post
I have 55 W HID bulbs in the low beams, that takes care of "down the road", and they are relay switched from the Low Oil Pressure switch. ????????????????????????????

I suppose that way he can have his highbeam and low beam on simultaneously.

Lee.
Darksider since I finally saw the Light.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 01:28 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I didn't like the switch on the Electrical Connection lights. It looks cheap. Show Chrome uses a factory/factory style switch.

2004 GL1800 Bloodstone Red Metallic
1988 GL1500/6 Martini Beige Metallic (Sold)
1984 GL1200 Pearl Saturn Red/Century Brown Metallic (Sold)
1981 Honda CM400T Candy Sword Blue with Metallic Light Blue (Cubed and Recycled)

IDMWT #23
Member #3480

Homo praesumitur bonus donec probetur malus

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 02:38 PM
Lifetime Premium

driving light suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantankerous View Post
I didn't like the switch on the Electrical Connection lights. It looks cheap. Show Chrome uses a factory/factory style switch.

I also had that switch peter out on
me in a couple of years because I used it. I leave my frog lights on all the time now. I didn't mind the cosmetics of it as I did the durability of it. Those lower cowl lights should always be on , anyway.

Lee.
Darksider since I finally saw the Light.

Last edited by Chopin; 03-25-2016 at 02:58 PM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 02:55 PM

Mine are on all the time also but have factory switch. As to my lights I don't think my buddies around here (Local and State LEO'S) would like me having both high and low's on at the same time as they are UPGRADED lights and also have flasher unit installed on them! My wife does not like me behind her later in the evening or at night!!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-25-2016, 03:31 PM
AZgl1800
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003 GL1800 POLICE View Post

for a very good reason.
HID ballasts do not like to be "cycled on/off", each time you do that, you use up half of the "turn on cycles" that they will perform before failure. ( Goldwing typical ON/OFF/ON because of Start Switch )

Now, since my low beams are no longer controlled by the handlebar switch, they will not turn on until the oil pressure sensor is tripped ( takes away the ground path ).

there is a relay connected so that when the relay "opens" for lack of a ground path, the 'NC' contacts make and turn on the Low Beams.

That can only happen if the engine actually starts and continues to run.

There is a BIG plus with this system: I can run High Beams and the HID Low Beams at the same time, and I always do. With the Driving Lights also left ON all the time, it makes my bike a much larger glob of "white" down the road. You can see all six of those lights coming at you.

That was installed July of 2015 and I have covered 5000+ miles since, from Oklahoma to North Carolina down thru to Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas and back to home in a 30 day span of time.

Not once, in that whole trip, did anyone ever attempt to pull out in front of me at an intersection. I have had vehicles come out of side roads that had weeds obstructing the other driver's view... .yet they stopped and they stayed there until I passed them by.

Not once, has an oncoming car turned left in front of me: and there have been several of those opportunities during that trip.

To me, it is a NO Brainer.... Get all of the up front light you can, and save a life. It could be your own.

There are no guarantees for us keeping the other guy from hitting us, but it makes sense to me, to do everything I can to help him see me.
Chopin likes this.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 06:09 AM

I agree that lighting is important for people to see you, however there are certain states that make it illegal to have more than 4 forward facing white lights on a vehicle. Some people don't care about the law, me being one to push the limits, but it is what it is...

Also, inspection is something to consider if your state requires inspection on your MC.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2016, 08:56 AM

Pa. is one of those states that the white light limit is 4. Also in pa. you can not have running lights or fog lights on at the same time as the high beam.

Eastern Pa.
1982 Goldwing Aspencade
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode