2016 Harley Ultra Limited vs 2015 Level 3 GW - Page 2 - Honda Goldwing Forums
 8Likes

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 10:55 AM

Garage
The summer of 2014 I went riding with my cousin, he has a 2014 HD Ultra with the Rushmore package, very nice bike. After a few hours of riding we decided to trade rides for awhile, he rode my 2012 Gold Wing and I rode his HD, after an hour I was ready to get back on my Gold Wing. I didn't like the idea of having to down shift when coming upon a hill steeper that a 4 degree grade, I mean from 6th to 4th and he had aftermarket pipes that made it uncomfortable after awhile. He liked the Gold Wing very much, he said he couldn't believe the power it had in 5th gear, just roll on the throttle and away you go.
That was my experience with the HD Ultra.

9th ID, US Army
Vietnam 69-70
Disabled Veterans of America
Member of MOPH (Military Order of the Purple Heart)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 11:03 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalWinger View Post
Chopin,

Can you tell me what you meant by too much shifting going on? Appreciate the feedback.

You can ride a Goldwing around in fifth gear under almost any condition except stop and go traffic.

Lee.
Darksider since I finally saw the Light.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoIron View Post
"The chrome on the Harley Davidson won't get you home, but the Honda won't get you laid!"
I'm pretty sure this is true, but I'm not riding for that reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopin View Post
You can ride a Goldwing around in fifth gear under almost any condition except stop and go traffic.
Yep, experienced it yesterday zipping along Hwy 22 on my way back home. I was catching up with a pickup and there was just a short space before a curve to pass. I rolled on the throttle and was around him with room to spare. Also hardly noticed that I went from 65 to 90 in a very short space.

I have ridden a couple Harleys but not enough to say much. I did like the ride and I prefer a foot forward placement of feet that the Honda does not have. Before I made a few comfort changes to the bike (seat, risers on the bars, hwy pegs) a 600 mile day was easy peasy. After the changes that can be a short day. It's easy to go all day and get up the next and do it again.
detdrbuzzard, Chopin and TwoIron like this.

Mark
It matters not how good you are if an angel pees on the flintlock of your musket. Old German Military saying.
2010 Honda GL1800
GWOF IB Hat #1 with WARWGN
IDMWT #86

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-13-2016, 05:29 PM
AZgl1800
Only rode one HD in my life, many decades back....
all I remember is the ungodly noise and that ended it for me.

I love the wide torque band on the 1500 and the 1800 that I now have. Owned two 1500s, a 94 and a 98.... both were very comfortable for super long distance riding.

the 1800 was horrible for my 5'11 frame until I installed the Mick-O-Pegs and the Utopia backrest. now I can relax and enjoy the ride.

I have at times, had senior moments at a red light and took off in 4th or 5th gear from a dead stop.... duh! but the bike just went on and did not complain. a V-Twin would never be able to do that.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome Bill to the GWOF. Buy the one that makes you smile. (I'm betting on the Wing)...

Charlie
<><
Proud Owner of IDMWT #1
Past rides:
1974 Blue Yamaha TX500
1986 Red Kawasaki Voyager 1200
1998 Illusion Red Goldwing 1500 SE
2009 Silver Goldwing 1800 Audio/Comfort
***(all dropped, all gone, but none forgotten)***
Present:
2003 Electron Blue Metallic Corvette 5.7

Faith is more than believing God can, it's knowing God will.

Elected officials like diapers need to be changed regularly, both for the same reason. Mark Twain
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-14-2016, 04:49 PM

Before my wife and I purchased our 2015 Level 3 Wing, we rode a number of bikes, including a 2015 Ultra and a 2016 Road Glide Ultra.

Based on my past experience with HD, I was pleasantly surprised with the low end torque of the new HD. No where near the Victory I was riding, but certainly more than the 2012-2013 models, without the water cooled heads.

The riding position on the Ultra felt a bit more cramped than the RGU and I liked the wind management of the RGU better than the Ultra. However, no matter which bike we rode, my wife always came back to the Wing as the most comfortable ride.

We test rode, along with the HD's, the Vic Cross Country, Vic Vision and Kawa Voyager. We've had the GW less than two week, got about 1K on it, and so far, no regrets. Find the one which suits your needs/tastes, ride on and don't look back. MM
detdrbuzzard and Chopin like this.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-15-2016, 08:24 AM

Harley vs Goldwing

I rode 6 Harley's over 17 years, including 4 Ultra Classics and 95% of the miles were two-up. My last Harley was a 2014 Ultra Limited and we rode 16K miles on it the first year. One long trip of about 12K miles and the rest in the Smoky Mtns. Needless to say I thought Harley was the best touring bike I would ever ride.

However, in Oct 2014, I traded the Limited in on a 2012 GL1800 with everything but an airbag. After the first year, my wife and I logged 15K miles on the Wing. One long trip of about 12K miles and the rest in the Smoky's. It took some getting used to especially the frame mounted fairing, throttle response and new sitting position. I think the Wing has the Harley beat, hands down for touring and riding the curves in the Mtns. My only regret is that I waited so long to try the Goldwing.
Sarie likes this.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-20-2016, 07:22 AM

Garage
I'm not crazy about twin engines. I like the smoothness of a 4 or 6 cylinder engine. I owned a 1976 Honda CB750 which was a 4 cylinder engine and now this Goldwing.

I purchase my GW at a Harley shop. There were every model there plus a lot of used HD's too. I sat on every model. I'm short, 5'5" and I did not feel comfortable getting some of the models off of the side stand. The only model that I felt comfortable on was what they called a low model. If it was a 4 or 6 cylinder engine I would have purchased that bike. Audrey and I both sat on that model. Audrey didn't care for her seat or the backrest compared to the Wing.

Most do not feel balanced for me as the GW is. I sat on a BMW, the 1600 or what ever their latest full dress touring model is. The seat was very high and I had to tip toe to reach the floor. I didn't try to bring the BMW off of its side stand, I was too small of that bike. I also tried a couple of models of the Triumphs but the comfort for 2 up riding of the Goldwing won out.

I really like my Goldwing. It's a bit heavy and that takes getting use to and if I'm stupid like stopping too close to the center of the lane and I put my right foot down into and oily spot, and the bike starts to go over to the right, that's it, Audrey and I are off of the bike! Great people around and a mess of them came over to see if we were okay and to raise the GW back up. Man talk about feeling like a real jerk!

The ride is great. I have highway pegs so I can stretch my little legs and a backrest and I could ride all day. I have a compressed vertebrate in my neck and between my shoulder blades due to a woman running us off of the road so the backrest was a must otherwise I could not ride more than 20 miles before the pain started to set in. Now I can ride 100 miles with no problems.

I also like the way the gas tank is positioned on the Wing. On the HD there's too much open space. I like that closed in feeling I get from the Wing.

To each their own. There are more HD's in my area than I've ever seen anywhere I've lived and I've lived on both coasts and both north and south sections of both coasts.

Mark & Audrey
IDMWT #83
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-20-2016, 10:09 AM

My last 3 bikes.The 2010 103" Harley Ultra Limited the last of 6 Harleys,2011 Vic Vision Tour and my '13 Wing. I like all motorcycles,they all have their +'s and -'s.I rode these 3 pretty hard,coast to coast 2 times on each, Iron Butt Rides etc.I'd rank the Harley 3rd overall in power,reliability,tied for 2nd with the Wing on comfort.The Vic is the more comfortable of the 3 on long hauls (especially if you're long legged. 1500+ miles in 23 1/4 hours and I was ready to go again the next day).Reliable and cheap,1000's less than the other 2 .The Wing is tops on power,handling,creature comforts,reliability,2nd to the Vic in comfort.
I test drove an Indian Roadmaster last fall.Love the looks really wanted to like the ride,but after 35k mi. on the Wing I don't think a v-twin is in the near future.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of Smokie's to Oregon 2010 054.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	174617   Click image for larger version

Name:	imports to new laptop 010.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	174625   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0767.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	174633  

Last edited by Wyo Windy; 01-20-2016 at 10:28 AM.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-21-2016, 12:55 PM
Administrator

Garage
When I first saw the Victory Vision, I was awestruck by it. So different than anything out there. One of the Polaris dealers in our district is a Victory dealer too and I headed down on a day off to go for a spin on his demo. I figured for sure he'd take my Wing and I'd take the Vision. Nope, he wanted to ride his Vegas; no amount of coaxing could get him on the Goldwing. Regardless we rode for about three hours on all kinds of roads, even some gravel and I had a very positive experience on the Vision. Not enough that I would give up the Wing for, but if I ever went back to a V-twin touring bike, that would be it for sure. Hands down a better ride than the HD and more go power. Only thing I didn't really care for was the feeling that there was too much bike out in front of me in slow corners and parking lots etc. It also felt waaaaay longer than the Wing does. The HD is the most "compact" feeling of the three IMO, but neither of them feel as taught and solidly built as the Wing, at least to me.

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode