F6b Exhaust Noise - Honda Goldwing Forums
 1Likes

post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

F6b Exhaust Noise

Just purchased a new Gold Wing F6b and absolutely love it with one exception............the exhaust noise. However, I'm confused. I read other posts/reviews that the exhausts and noise levels are the same as a standard Gold Wing. I previously had a 2006 Gold Wing and there is no comparison to the noise levels as the F6b has a throaty/raspy/buzzing sound. The dealer says that I'm the first to comment on this. Honda America says the same? No reviews say anything about the increased noise level. A friend of mine says his is quiet. Therefore, I'm confused as when accelerating the noise is annoying. It does level out when cruising but the overall noise is much more than on my previous Gold Wing. I'm going to check out another helmet to eliminate this possibility but I don't think this is the issue. What's your experience??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I may be wrong on this but I had read somewhere where Honda had changed the mufflers to give the bike a more noticeable exhaust note.

IDMHT#1
Go Navy!
Retired trike builder/motorcycle tech.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I'd have the dealer check the mufflers for loose baffles.

2004 GL1800 Bloodstone Red Metallic
1988 GL1500/6 Martini Beige Metallic (Sold)
1984 GL1200 Pearl Saturn Red/Century Brown Metallic (Sold)
1981 Honda CM400T Candy Sword Blue with Metallic Light Blue (Cubed and Recycled)

IDMWT #23
Member #3480

Homo praesumitur bonus donec probetur malus

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 05:16 PM

Garage
Time to check/verify the muffler part numbers.
There are free sound level apps for smart phones. They are notoriously inaccurate, but will give you good relative readings for comparison if you want to gauge your bike against someone else's.

Bob
2012 ABS "Red Ghost"
IDMWT 65
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 05:25 PM
Administrator

Garage
I can't speak for the 2015 models, but the exhaust system on the '13 an '14 were the same as the regular Goldwing. However, many dealerships installed V&H and other pipes on them and they are noticeably louder than the stockers.

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 01:55 AM

Location: North Carolina (...not the edge of the world, but you can ride there from here.)
Greetings from a fellow F6B owner.

I'd have the baffles checked...but I suspect everything is OK. Honda did make minor changes in favour of a more pronounced exhaust note. Or...at least that is what I have read.

....sT

USDOT/FAA, Retired -- 1982-2012

--- If at first you don't succeed....skydiving may not be for you! ---
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 12:19 PM

Intake noise?
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budoka View Post
I can't speak for the 2015 models, but the exhaust system on the '13 an '14 were the same as the regular Goldwing. However, many dealerships installed V&H and other pipes on them and they are noticeably louder than the stockers.
Why would a dealer do this to a new bike without having a customer request this to begin with? I have never heard of any company spending additional money on something and not making a profit from it.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 02:32 PM
Administrator

Garage
So I checked and the '13 and '14 share the same mufflers, but the '15 has a different part #.
530, I'm not saying they did, but certainly could have. Part of the allure to the F6B is it's bit of bad a$$ attitude and looks. I know many wouldn't approve of an exhaust change, but I know of two demo units that had V&H pipes on them within two hours of us. Personally, if it was me I'd have a set of the black Cobra six packs on an F6B. But that's just me...

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ktm View Post
Why would a dealer do this to a new bike without having a customer request this to begin with? I have never heard of any company spending additional money on something and not making a profit from it.
From the talk I've heard by dealers and buyers, the F6B is not intended for the touring rider. It's supposedly aimed at the cruiser market competing against mostly V-twins. Hence no reverse or cruise control. So Budoka's bad attitude (his is one of the baddest) should include a louder sound. Not necessarily a V-twin glass-shattering rumble, but a least a noticeable growl under acceleration. The louder sound could be achieved by playing with the baffles on the stock mufflers, but the aftermarket items provide some extra income for the dealer's shop. And that Cobra 6 pack does look good.

I get a lot of positive comments on the Cobra exhaust on my trike...a bit of a Porsche sound at idle and mild acceleration, and a throaty gurgle effect slowing down. But really not noticeable at highway speed.
ETC likes this.

2003 GL1800/MotorTrike Adventure IDMWT#25x3
Ride often. Ride far. Ride safe and do much more of both.
Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach him how to surf the GWOF and he won't bother you for weeks, maybe months
I'll be waitin' for you at the end of the road.
If everything had gone as planned, it would not have been an adventure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode