Hand Held GPS or Smart Phone for Navigation - Page 3 - Honda Goldwing Forums
 7Likes

post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 03:30 AM

I use "maps" on my Ipad. The main reason, the screen is big enough to see. I do not need it while on the fly, I look at it when stopping for fuel, etc and I can remember 200 miles or so till the next gas up. I hate electronic devices talking to me, telling me where to turn and to turn around and I see no point in the stupid little box telling me that it is "recalculating". Just my .02, that's what I use and why I use it.
leadthepack likes this.

The FIRST GWOF IB TRIO. July 16, 2016
Charter Members:
Fossil92 - WingNutGordo - GoldWingKing

GWOF IB Couples ride. 1008.3 Mi. September 14, 2016
GWOF IB Couples ride II. 1045.6 Mi. September 16, 2016

Traxxion Dynamics, Mega Monte.
Bridgestone Driveguard RunFlat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 04:30 AM
Super Moderator

Thus the what Fossil calls the "Crownfire positioning system". Use the map to plan, write some directions on painters tape (won't leave residue) and I tape mine to the right side of the windshield. I use Google Map to look for a route, the gps to see where I am and what is coming up, but paper maps are most important to "see" the route. I don't download anything to my gps but sometimes I will input a place and let it show me how to get there. I may not go that way but it is useful. Also I have it on mute so the box doesn't talk to me.
leadthepack likes this.

Mark
It matters not how good you are if an angel pees on the flintlock of your musket. Old German Military saying.
2010 Honda GL1800
GWOF IB Hat #1 with WARWGN
IDMWT #86

post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 09:36 AM
Administrator

Garage
Pre-planning is everything. Know where you're going before you get there and all is well. Most of the time. Then you can use GPS or phone as a backup plan if needed.
Flintlock likes this.

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
[/COLOR]current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl

post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 03:41 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidprej View Post
I could go on, but I'm amazed that there isn't an easy way to plan a trip on my PC, download it to a navigation device and then ride the plan. And don't tell me there is an easy way as I've been researching this for 2 years and there isn't.
I have used MapQuest to plan routes and then export them to the OEM GPS SD card. It does not handle way points very well (that is where Mark's system will come in handy), but it will get you there. I am guessing there are some stand-alone GPS units out there that will let you do this even better.
leadthepack likes this.

Bob
2012 ABS "Red Ghost"
IDMWT 65
post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NREMTP View Post
I have used MapQuest to plan routes and then export them to the OEM GPS SD card. It does not handle way points very well (that is where Mark's system will come in handy), but it will get you there. I am guessing there are some stand-alone GPS units out there that will let you do this even better.
Yes, I've heard Mapquest, the precursor to Basecamp, was actually pretty user friendly. I even tried to download it as I was told that was still possible. It may be possible, but not easy. I gave up.

Google maps used to have the perfect solution. Simply sign into Google, plan and save your route (VERY easy to do) and then when you sign into the app on your phone the route is there with turn-by-turn directions. However, as will all good software, that was changed and is no longer available. My conspiracy theory is that Garmin and Tom Tom are paying off Google as that feature negates any reason to buy a stand-alone.

I have found work arounds such as Furkot where I theoretically can plan my trips on the PC and download to my Garmin GPS. I say theoretically because I haven't actually successfully done it yet, but I am getting close.
leadthepack likes this.
post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 04:54 PM

Garage
I rarely use mapquest anymore, but just typed it in and it came up, including the option to "send to car." The URL has changed to this: http://classic.mapquest.com/
Hope this helps some.

Bob
2012 ABS "Red Ghost"
IDMWT 65
post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 07:08 AM

I've been using my iPhone. I have a USB power connector in the left console box to keep it plugged in and I have a Sena bluetooth headset. I can listen to a play list and the GPS will override when a turn is approaching. It generally works pretty well but would probably be better if I had a RAM mount with a phone holder. I'd like to have a dedicated Zumo but the money is ridiculous. Now the downside - HEAT. Twice will riding in the summer I've had the iPhone overheat and shut down. Of course when this happened I was blindly following the GPS and oblivious as to where I was. Somewhere down the road I can see going to a car type Nuvi and a RAM mount.
post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaconWinger View Post
I've been using my iPhone. I have a USB power connector in the left console box to keep it plugged in and I have a Sena bluetooth headset. I can listen to a play list and the GPS will override when a turn is approaching. It generally works pretty well but would probably be better if I had a RAM mount with a phone holder. I'd like to have a dedicated Zumo but the money is ridiculous. Now the downside - HEAT. Twice will riding in the summer I've had the iPhone overheat and shut down. Of course when this happened I was blindly following the GPS and oblivious as to where I was. Somewhere down the road I can see going to a car type Nuvi and a RAM mount.
I agree that an iPhone is all I'd need - if I could plan a route on my PC and download to the phone. I have a spring loaded X type RAM mount on my clutch reservoir, but have had the phone flipped into my lap a couple of times over big bumps.

As I said, Google used to have all the functionality I need. Easy to plan on a PC and turn-by-turn directions. Can listen to whatever on phone and voice directions override. To me it's important to have the turn-by-turn voice so I'm not taking my focus off the road.

I've experimented with several apps that are supposed to let you plan the route on your PC and load it to your phone. Could not get any to work properly.
post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 10:39 AM

Garage
Aren't there some skeletal remains still being found in the outback of people who followed iphone directions?
post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-11-2015, 10:51 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Madrussian
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flintlock View Post
Aren't there some skeletal remains still being found in the outback of people who followed iphone directions?
Yep. Right next to Harley Davidsons.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode