Hand Held GPS or Smart Phone for Navigation - Page 2 - Honda Goldwing Forums
 7Likes

post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special Wing View Post
Wyo Windy, with the OEM Nav and Zumo how do you listen to each?

I have hard wired to helmet OEM Nav, CB, sat, weather and music. If you Bluetooth Zumo to helmet via another Bluetooth devise, don't you give up something?

I am one who is frustrated and can not use "trip planner" and load to SD card. So I have considered a Zumo unit but do not want to give up the features I have now.

BTW, my last trip I road an extra hour to my destination because the OEM Nav screen when you try to go to "bigger view" the secondary roads disappear. If I had atlas or paper map as backup that would not have happened.
Sorry if hijacking the tread but when you start talking Nav units you will get lot of frustrated Wing owners ranting!!
I have a SENA SMH10 blue tooth paired up to the Zumo with speakers in the helmet ears.Noise canceling ear buds with an adapter plugged into the OEM headset plug.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 10:14 AM

Quick article on the pros and cons of GPS versus Phone for navigation

http://www.leadermotorcycle.com/blog...et-a-gps-unit/

This may be helpful!
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 01:16 PM

Garage
I was going to comment about using the HERE app on your phone, but see that several others have already done so. I have used it and it is great.
You also have to consider how big the screen is on your phone. You don't want to have one so small that you have to take your eyes off the road for a long time to see anything.
Another thing that you might consider either way you decide is whether you want turn-by-turn directions through your headset. There is a GPS Audio Input here that I'm going to get.

It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

Red=All bikes Blue=Wing

Chris

IDMWT #77
Current: 96 GL1500 SE

Sold:
92 GL1500I
86 GL1200A
00 HD FXDL
93 Yamaha XV1100
Too many before to list

post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 01:39 PM

You will not like a hand held GPS. The screen is way to small to read when on the fly. I tried one years ago, and had to stop to see anything. My phone eats up data when I use the GPS. There is no way it would work for me on a two week trip. Go with a Zumo. or if you do not care about the plastic bag trick, a car GPS. I have a 8 year old Zumo that is still going strong. I can download custom routes that I make on my computer and can plan out trips. The cheaper car GPS will not let you do this.

Dan
2012 GL 1800
1988 GL 1500
1977 GL 1000
2012 KLR 650
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyo Windy View Post
I have a SENA SMH10 blue tooth paired up to the Zumo with speakers in the helmet ears.Noise canceling ear buds with an adapter plugged into the OEM headset plug.
Could you elaborate on how the earbud setup works with speakers in the helmet? Do they replace the speakers in the helmet? Are they wired to the helmet and if so, how to you get them in your ears and then put helmet on?

BTW I've had a Zumo 590 for about two years now and can't figure out how it works. I don't need it to get from point A to point B as a cell phone works fine for that. I want to plan my trip on my PC then load it into my device. Basecamp, the PC software that Garmin puts out, is worthless, at least for me. (I'm a CPA working as a controller and handle the 9 computers in our office, with consulting help, but I know my way around PCs and software.)

Can't get power to the base unit either. Had my bike professionally wired, but still doesn't work.

So as it stands, every few months I take down my box with all things GPS, try to make it work for a day or so, get frustrated, put it back in the closet and use my tank map pouch.
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 04:28 PM

I use the Garmin Nuvi on the left and the cell phone on the right.

1) Garmin Nuvi - I buy it at Costco. When it craps out, I bring it back and they give me my money back. No Packaging, no time limit. They just refund the money!
2) Cell phone - I use either the built in map program or WAZE ap. WAZE is great here in SoCal because it give you real time traffic, cops, stuff on the road, cars stopped on the shoulder, and covers ALL the back roads as well as the highways. Once I'm out of town, I'll switch to the built in GPS Maps program because I don't need the traffic. The phone is Bluetooth-ed to my headset, so I can hear the directions, listen to music, and make/receive calls. I do pull over to have any kind of a real conversation, just for safety sake.

There are advantages to both the GPS and the PHONE. The GPS is more accurate, and can be programmed with a bunch of waypoints to make a long trip. The GPS traffic is OK, but doesn't have the back roads. The GPS database is static, until you upgrade it. The phone is much more robust when looking for a store, restaurant, etc. The phone needs cell reception, the GPS works all the time. So I use BOTH. What do I do when they disagree? Depends on the situation. If I think the difference might be the traffic, I'll go with the WAZE ap, otherwise I like the GPS rountings better. But they'll both get you there.

When it rains I stick them both in my pocket. I can still hear the instructions in the Bluetooth headset.

Only pain in the ass is having to remove both devices every time I stop. I would not want them stolen. (same with my helmet. I see guys leaving helmets sitting on their seats while they eat/shop, but I'm always worried about it not being there when I come back. Not only is it expensive, but I can't ride without it!! but that's a subject for a different day.)

Richie
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NREMTP View Post
I do use the onboard nav, but also my smart phone primarily for traffic. I have HERE maps loaded on the phone incase I have no cell reception.

Thanks for the suggestion on the Here maps app.

"The journey is never a direct route; it is circuitous, and somewhere along the way, we discover that the journey is more significant than the destination, and the people we meet will be traveling companions of our memories forever." N. Demille
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidprej View Post
Could you elaborate on how the earbud setup works with speakers in the helmet? Do they replace the speakers in the helmet? Are they wired to the helmet and if so, how to you get them in your ears and then put helmet on?

BTW I've had a Zumo 590 for about two years now and can't figure out how it works. I don't need it to get from point A to point B as a cell phone works fine for that. I want to plan my trip on my PC then load it into my device. Basecamp, the PC software that Garmin puts out, is worthless, at least for me. (I'm a CPA working as a controller and handle the 9 computers in our office, with consulting help, but I know my way around PCs and software.)

Can't get power to the base unit either. Had my bike professionally wired, but still doesn't work.

So as it stands, every few months I take down my box with all things GPS, try to make it work for a day or so, get frustrated, put it back in the closet and use my tank map pouch.
Dude, I have 8 yrs past HS, 2 degrees and I can't figure some of this stuff everyone else says is simple. Don't get me started on GoPro camera, either.

Mike
2013 GL1800, Level III
1996 HD Heritage Softail Classic (sold this past summer)
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidprej View Post

The bluetooth has a pair of small flat speakers that fit in the pocket ears of my helmet.The ear buds plug into the 5 pin din cable jack with an adapter for the 3.5mm ear bud plug(I believe Wingstuff sells one),I can use the speakers and ear buds simultaneously.My primary use of a gps is getting me thru major metro areas.I'm a big coward from Wyoming lol.I do some route planning,Ill take my trusty Harley Road atlas with all the prime bike roads highlighted and plot routes using way points etc to keep me off the freeways.I'm not familiar with the 590.I hardwired mine right off the aux plug pigtail I installed in the left hand glove box with a separate 3A fuse.I'm usually listening to music thru the ear buds etc,but occasionally XM weather/traffic alerts on the oem gps.The Zumo is my predominate route finder, free lifetime maps etc.Problem with the Zumo is sunlight washing out the screen(listening to the commands is much safer anyway).The oem screen is much better in that respect.I love all these electronic gadgets,that's why I have a Wing! I even have a redundant Tiregard TPMS too.(I bought it for the Vic. Vision)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0836.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	163321  

Last edited by Wyo Windy; 11-09-2015 at 08:14 PM.
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 11-09-2015, 08:33 PM

I appreciate your reply. Personally, I just want to ride. I started riding late in life (at 55) and the dream was to just explore with the journey being the destination.

I'm discovering that most motorcyclist are also wanna-be mechanics and tinkerers who love setting up the bike as much as riding, or at least that's the way is seems to me.

I'd pay half again as much for my bike if I could find someone to bring it to and they could just set it up the way I need it in order to do what I want it to do, namely ride in comfort (shocks, handlebar location, etc.) with navigation aids along the way. Without being able to plan my trip on my PC and have turn-by-turn directions, I'm either stuck to the main drags or lost.

I could go on, but I'm amazed that there isn't an easy way to plan a trip on my PC, download it to a navigation device and then ride the plan. And don't tell me there is an easy way as I've been researching this for 2 years and there isn't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode