Buzzing noise, new rear tire, bike laid on guards for 3 days - Honda Goldwing Forums
 1Likes

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-26-2015, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

Buzzing noise, new rear tire, bike laid on guards for 3 days

My 2008 developed a speed related buzzing noise after changing the rear tire. Due to logistical issues the bike laid on its guards for three days before I could get the wheel with the new tire back on. Since then the bike makes a speed related buzzing noise. It become audible at around 25 mph loader through 40 mph then less so. Vibration at highway speeds in noticeable. Tire was balanced with dynabeads. I immediately thought I had a tire problem but can find nothing wrong and neither can dealer. Dealer claims head shake and front fork seals as the problem but I can't make the association. If it's not the tire I wonder if leaving it laid over for three days might have done something. Thoughts welcome as to what might be going on.

Peobody
Charlotte, NC
'08 GL1800 - Bridgestone DriveGuard, Bridgestone G709
'95 Kawasaki Concours
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-26-2015, 04:25 PM
Administrator

Garage
Laying the bike over on it's (right?) side with the wheel off shouldn't cause any issues as long as the bike was properly supported so as not to put stress on any bodywork. Even if it did lay on the bags or fairing etc, that shouldn't cause anything like you mentioned. How many miles on the bike? I would suggest letting one of your dealer's techs take it for a spin to try and Identify what it might be.

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
[/COLOR]current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-27-2015, 05:51 AM

Its strange that the noise started after the tire was installed and the bike made no noise prior. It seems that it would have something to do with the new tire. Maybe you could put the bike on the center stand and spin the rear tire by hand and see if you notice any noise. If you figure it out, keep us posted.

The FIRST GWOF IB TRIO. July 16, 2016
Charter Members:
Fossil92 - WingNutGordo - GoldWingKing

GWOF IB Couples ride. 1008.3 Mi. September 14, 2016
GWOF IB Couples ride II. 1045.6 Mi. September 16, 2016

Traxxion Dynamics, Mega Monte.
Bridgestone Driveguard RunFlat.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-27-2015, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Yes, laid over on it's right side on the guards. I had 1/2" plywood cover with a moving pad between concrete and the guards. The bike spent a day at a dealer who only identifed head shake and front fork seal issues which I am struggling to believe. Nothing that explains the noise. I have put the bike on the center stand and spun the wheel looking for an out of round condition or some other anomoly but find none. Dropped the bike off at another dealer yesterday. We'll see what they come up with.

Peobody
Charlotte, NC
'95 Kawasaki Concours
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-27-2015, 06:31 PM
Lifetime Premium

I get a buzzing out of the front tire, especially in lean turns, by 10,000 miles of wear.

Lee.
Darksider since I finally saw the Light.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

I probably have around 8,000 on my front and it is in pretty bad shape. Not wear wise but cupping and visible uneveness. It wasn't though until I changed the rear.

I took the bike to another dealer who also identified bad head shake but not the noise. I did a +1700 mile trip before my first post and briefly road down the highway no-handed while unzipping vents in my outer jacket. Sure think that would be a freak-out thing to do if head shake was prevalent but two dealer have now identified head shake. I can't wait to see what it feels like once the bearing has been replaced. Maybe I can then figure out what wasn't feeling. Still, no one can identify the noise. Probably going to have to replace the front tire just to rule that out. Hey, it's only money, right?

Peobody
Charlotte, NC
'95 Kawasaki Concours
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2015, 08:08 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peobody View Post
I probably have around 8,000 on my front and it is in pretty bad shape. Not wear wise but cupping and visible uneveness. It wasn't though until I changed the rear.

I took the bike to another dealer who also identified bad head shake but not the noise. I did a +1700 mile trip before my first post and briefly road down the highway no-handed while unzipping vents in my outer jacket. Sure think that would be a freak-out thing to do if head shake was prevalent but two dealer have now identified head shake. I can't wait to see what it feels like once the bearing has been replaced. Maybe I can then figure out what wasn't feeling. Still, no one can identify the noise. Probably going to have to replace the front tire just to rule that out. Hey, it's only money, right?
I have steering shake with my hands off the bars around 40 mph+/-. That's the front tire's uneven wear.

Lee.
Darksider since I finally saw the Light.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2015, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopin View Post
I have steering shake with my hands off the bars around 40 mph+/-. That's the front tire's uneven wear.
It's probably because the car tire is low on WD-40. Spray it, it should fix all the problems.

Charter Members:

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2015, 05:20 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldWingKing View Post
It's probably because the car tire is low on WD-40. Spray it, it should fix all the problems.
It's because car tires are affected by the ruts worn by traffic in the road. The edges of the car tire brush against the edge of the rut and jiggle the bike. If you spend some time in the middle of the lane the tire will get some needed lubrication and not be as badly effected. The WD40 helps but it's too thin to last.

Last edited by Flintlock; 10-01-2015 at 01:14 PM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-01-2015, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flintlock View Post
It's because car tires are affected by the ruts worn by traffic in the road. The edges of the car tire brush against the edge of the rut and jiggle the bike. If you spend some time in the middle of the lane the tire will get some needed lubrication and not be as badly affected. The WD40 helps but it's too thin to last.
Uhhh, its a joke for Lee, Steve.

Charter Members:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode