Kick stand mod - Page 2 - Honda Goldwing Forums

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-10-2015, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by liflyboy View Post
fossil92. Do you have any more info on the chrome kickstand? Do you still have it? Want to sell it? If not, do you have a brand name, manufacturer, etc. That might just solve my problem.

I'd rather have it lean TOO far, and have to ask for help getting it off the kickstand than have it fall over and have to lift it off the ground.

Thanks,

Richie

I'll take a look, 2 things though. #1 I don't believe I do #2 It would be a 1500 so I don't think it will help you if I do have it.

Whoever said a woman can't make up their mind never met a Male Motorcycle Rider

GWOF IB COUPLE #2

MEMBER GWOF IB TRIO #1/Overall #4

FR #91
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 06:23 AM

Quote:
I'm thinking about making a small modification in the kick stand of my 06 1800. I'm not happy with the amount of lean the bike has when on the stand. A good wind from the left could knock it over.

I see that the kickstand is held on the frame with 3 bolts, one on top, 2 below. I figured if I added a washer on each of the bottom bolts, between the kickstand and the frame, I would add a little more lean. Anyone tried this? Anyone think it might be a problem, dangerous, stupid? Thanks.
A bit of grinding n the end will do the job and only $31 to replace by a new one.

Live your dream today to get an other one tomorrow
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 11:05 AM

Quote:
I'm thinking about making a small modification in the kick stand of my 06 1800. I'm not happy with the amount of lean the bike has when on the stand. A good wind from the left could knock it over.

I see that the kickstand is held on the frame with 3 bolts, one on top, 2 below. I figured if I added a washer on each of the bottom bolts, between the kickstand and the frame, I would add a little more lean. Anyone tried this? Anyone think it might be a problem, dangerous, stupid? Thanks.
Try running your rear suspension up to 25. That should make a difference if it's not already there. Also progressive fork springs will help too.

wingrat

Ubiquitous 2006 GL1800 Titanium
DS #271
Patriot Guard Rider

Dopeler effect: The tendency of stupid ideas to
seem smarter when they come at you rapidly...

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 04:51 PM

My side stand is 8 1/2 inches long. That is from the center of the bolt to the bottom of the stand. Again, I have very good lean on my 2012 and do not worry about it being blown over when on the side stand.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fossil92 View Post
I'll take a look, 2 things though. #1 I don't believe I do #2 It would be a 1500 so I don't think it will help you if I do have it.
I checked and do not have it any longer, so I can't even give you a name.

Sorry

Whoever said a woman can't make up their mind never met a Male Motorcycle Rider

GWOF IB COUPLE #2

MEMBER GWOF IB TRIO #1/Overall #4

FR #91
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 05:43 PM

I agree, at times my bike seems to be almost upright with minimal lean. A slightly shorter stand would make me more at ease. I have moved the bike to another spot when I don't trust it.

The FIRST GWOF IB TRIO. July 16, 2016
Charter Members:
Fossil92 - WingNutGordo - GoldWingKing

GWOF IB Couples ride. 1008.3 Mi. September 14, 2016
GWOF IB Couples ride II. 1045.6 Mi. September 16, 2016

Traxxion Dynamics, Mega Monte.
Bridgestone Driveguard RunFlat.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-01-2015, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

UPDATE:

So I went ahead and added 2 washers to the kickstand mount. It's not a flat plate mount, Bill. It's got three raised areas on the mount where the bolts attach. I just added 2 chromed (hopefully to last a little longer, not for the bling) washers between the kickstand and the mount. For such a small amount of difference in the mount, the difference in the lean angle was, what I'll call significant. Now it leans a little MORE than my 1200, but still not enough to stop me from lifting it off the stand. It's only the first day, but I like the way it looks. I didn't put locktite on the bolts, because I didn't know if I would be adding a second set of washers, or removing the ones I put in. I'll wait a few weeks to decide if this is the right amount of adjustment and then add the locktite.

Based on the way it mounts, and the thickness of the steel, I can't imagine any problems with this mod, and if something did loosen/crack/break, I think I'd notice it.

Thanks for the input. I'll update if I have any problems. In the meantime, I'd recommend this mod for anyone who wishes the bike leaned a little further on the stand.
Richie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode