Reverse not working: FIXED! - Honda Goldwing Forums
 2Likes

post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

Reverse not working: FIXED!

I bought my 03 in May, and didn't realize the reverse was not working. Wanted to enjoy the bike through the riding season, so I just started digging into it last week, as the riding season is over.

Symptoms: reverse light comes on steady, but when pushing the starter button, reverse would engage for 1 second, the rear wheel moved about 1", and something loud could be heard tripping off, reverse would stop immediately, and reverse light would go out. To try again, it was necessary to turn off the reverse switch.

After pushing the reverse switch on again, I could hear repeated, fast ticking coming from the relays' box. Specifically, if I touched the RVS relay (fourth from the left in the bottom row of relays), I could feel it clicking, which told me that the relay's coil was not getting good 12V voltage for the contacts to stay closed.

One side of the coil goes to the reverse regulator module, and the other goes to the reverse control module. So, I figure the problem could be at either end.

The reverse regulator is accessed by removing the left saddlebag, and it's located just under the top frame member on the left side of the rear fender. You don't have to completely remove the saddlebag, it's enough to remove the 4 screws holding it in place, and wiggling it out bottom first, just about 2" from the frame. first it is necessary to remove the rear center plastic piece between the two saddlebags (where the license plate is located).

After carefully removing the regulator from its rubber mount, and unplugging it (connector wiring and module really badly covered with 11 years of road dirt), I found that the 2 pins at one end of the regulator connector were badly corroded (covered with a green substance). I carefully cleaned the tiny pins with a sharp blade, being careful not to bend them, and pushed a bunch of dielectric grease into the female connector end. Plugged it back in, and tested the reverse again: it worked!!!

Just thought someone might benefit from knowing what I found to be the problem.!
ETC likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 05:01 PM
Lifetime Premium

Good information, Thanks for sharing.

From the Northwest Corner
Ron
The Land of Tall mountains
IDMWT #5
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 07:27 PM

Great info.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 04:48 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Excellent work and worthy to become a sticky.

Whoever said a woman can't make up their mind never met a Male Motorcycle Rider

GWOF IB COUPLE #2

MEMBER GWOF IB TRIO #1/Overall #4

FR #91
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

Thanks! I think this module could be the reason for other problems as well, due to its lousy location on the bike.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-29-2014, 03:27 PM

Good stuff, mine has been acting up a little bit, but more of the gear thing sometimes I have to click back to neutral then turn the reverse back on for it to work

"give away what you want to receive!" Rich Dad Poor Dad Rule Number 10
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-29-2014, 09:11 PM Thread Starter

I subsequently wrapped the reverse regulator box in electrical tape, before placing it back on the rubber mount. If I were you, I would take the little time that it takes to slightly separate the left saddlebag, to remove, clean the pins and apply dieletric grease to the conector. A few systems depend on this little device to function properly. good preventive maintenance.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-30-2014, 04:42 AM

Thank you for the feedback, I am not having a problem at this time, but your struggles have saved a lot of guys here much time in diagnosing if their symptoms are similar. I may do as you suggest and spend a little maintenance time checking, cleaning and greasing the connectors. Thanks again.

The FIRST GWOF IB TRIO. July 16, 2016
Charter Members:
Fossil92 - WingNutGordo - GoldWingKing

GWOF IB Couples ride. 1008.3 Mi. September 14, 2016
GWOF IB Couples ride II. 1045.6 Mi. September 16, 2016

Traxxion Dynamics, Mega Monte.
Bridgestone Driveguard RunFlat.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 09:07 PM

Awesome information - might make a complicated troubleshooting procedure a little easier for the next guy

Les

4 wheels moves the body
2 wheels moves the soul

Honorary Wild Rhino - 7/10/2014
GL1800 HPNAM9
Darkside #1574 - Bridgestone Drive Guard
Double Darkside - BT-45

Tennessee Travelers #103
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-25-2015, 09:17 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Les,
It baffles the mind why mother Honda would place that module right where all the crap gets flung up by the rear wheel, and besides, not to insulate it well enouch against moisture penetration. I found two of the needle-like pins completely covered by green corrosion.
Well worth taking a look at it by separating the left saddlebag a couple of inches from the frame, and having a look inside the module connector, even if you haven't had any malfunctions yet.
Cheers,
Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in