Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Footbords V Pegs

5K views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  NREMTP 
#1 ·
Hi, I have a 1994 Goldwing SE and it has footboards on it and I find that its kind of hard to get my feet up that extra distance to the heal toe shifter and on the break pedal. It kind of hurts my hips. Now that's how I purchased the bike a month ago. Would I be better off putting pegs on and putting on a toe shifter? I'm 63 yrs old, do you think I just need to stretch? Its also hard for my feet to fit on the break and shifter without hitting the crash bar. Thanks you. Maybe I'm just getting old.

#2 ·
Welcome to the GWOF!:)

I've tried and never liked heel/toe shifters. Prefer OEM pegs and toe shift. And whenever I can for a while, my feet are up on the Kury Ergo road pegs.

#3 ·
I too like Kevin don't really care for boards/heel & toe. Had them on my previous '95. I could deal with them but feel much better with regular shifter and pegs.

The 2 links below are what I ended up with.

1st one is the pegs (Mini Boards) I put on my previous '95 when I took the boards off. Really liked them a lot and may get them for my current trike sometime. You do need to buy adapters for them to fit the Wing.

http://www.kuryakyn.com/Products/958/ISO-Wing-Pegs-without-Adapters

2nd one is the footpegs I have on my current trike. The came with it when I bought it and so far work very well. They are more comfortable than the stock pegs and a bit larger as well.

http://wingstuff.com/products/375-chrome-driver-footpegs?context=gold_wing_gl1500-footpegs

As always this is just one Ole Fossil's opinion and welcome to the GWOF from the Keystone State

#4 ·
I have heel toe shifter on my HD Road King and just bought a set from a member here for the 'Wing. I like them on the HD which is why I bought them for the GoldWing. Its personal preference, I didnt think I would like them till I got used to em. It keeps the tops of your sneakers white.

#5 ·
I never cared for the stock pegs, have always been a board dood myself. Like mentioned, personal preference.

Reactions: Weege
#6 ·
Welcome from the northern tier of PA. I have a "12" wing with floorboards and heel and toe shifter. Also hand them on my "89" 1500. Like them a lot better than pegs and toe shifter. Too each his own. Enjoy the forum and the ride

#7 ·
I just bought a 1980 GL1100i. I'm still fixing things and getting used to how big it is (last bike was a CM250C). Mine already has foot boards and heal/toe shifter. I'm getting used to the shifter, but I'm not very happy with the boards. As someone else mentioned, my left foot feels like I'm constantly kicking the engine guard. I haven't ridden enough to really tell, but I'm definitely considering putting pegs on. I think I need some highway time before I finally decide, and I'm not comfortable enough to do that much highway riding yet.

Good thread, and I'll keep an eye on it. Thanks everyone for the comments.

#9 ·
I went and purchased another heel toe shifter package that I have to mount yet. I think they'll fit better. I had the same trouble with room for my foot. I'll let ya know if this new set works better. I do have to say that while riding the floor boards are a lot more comfortable.

Frank

#8 ·
Welcome to the site, James.

I went From a Honda CM400T to a 1200 Wing.

#10 ·
As you can see there are some that like them and some that do not like them.
First I like the heel/toe shifter but not floor boards. You can put a heel/toe shifter on without the floor boards. The floor boards will take away some of your ground clearance when cornering, not a good thing. My VTX 1300 and Vulcan 1600 Nomad came with boards and heel/toe shifter.
As you can see in this picture, they are comfortable but do take away clearance, Honda says they will void the warranty on the 1800 tranny if you have heel/toe shifter on the bike but the VTX and probably a few others come stock with it

#11 ·
My wife and I bought a 1980 GL1100 standard about three years ago. The person who had it before us decided to turn into an interstate. Had all this extra aftermarket stuff on it. Vetter fairing, large hard shell saddle bags with trunk. floor boards with toe/heel shifter. Ended up removing everything. I found I was really banging the shifter arm when up shifting with my heel. I was afraid I would break it off the engine. Went back to everything that came stock with the standard model. The shifter arm has thanked me over time and so has my foot. As far as the floor boards go I found my left foot being wedged under the head and not comfortable at all.

#12 ·
I ride a Harley and luv my heal-to-shifter, so that was what I planned to do when I bought the Goldwing. I'm glad I decided to ride my friends bike with the Kuryakin floorboards and heal-toe-shifter before I bought all of that stuff. It's just not the same. Doesn't feel comfortable or natural at all on the Honda. I don't think stretching is going to help you. Ride with the pegs, or get mini floorboards with the toe shifter if you just want more room to rest your foot

#13 ·
When I bought my 2000 GL1500 in 2006, it was loaded with just about everything. It had a heal toe shifter and I rode it for 9 years with no issues. In 2015 when I bought my GL1800 it has stock pegs on it. I've enjoyed the change, and in some ways I can stretch my calves better by moving the position of my feet on the pegs when I'm on the long haul. Either way, I guess I'm just easy to adapt to the situation.

#14 ·
I found that I was missing up-shifts due to the tight clearance between the left peg and the shifter. It took me a little while to get used to the boards but I am good with them now. Our last M&G taught me to raise them before stopping on poor surfaces so my footing is more secure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.