Footboards V Pegs - Page 2 - Honda Goldwing Forums
 1Likes

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 07:24 PM

My wife and I bought a 1980 GL1100 standard about three years ago. The person who had it before us decided to turn into an interstate. Had all this extra aftermarket stuff on it. Vetter fairing, large hard shell saddle bags with trunk. floor boards with toe/heel shifter. Ended up removing everything. I found I was really banging the shifter arm when up shifting with my heel. I was afraid I would break it off the engine. Went back to everything that came stock with the standard model. The shifter arm has thanked me over time and so has my foot. As far as the floor boards go I found my left foot being wedged under the head and not comfortable at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarzan View Post
Hi, I have a 1994 Goldwing SE and it has footboards on it and I find that its kind of hard to get my feet up that extra distance to the heal toe shifter and on the break pedal. It kind of hurts my hips. Now that's how I purchased the bike a month ago. Would I be better off putting pegs on and putting on a toe shifter? I'm 63 yrs old, do you think I just need to stretch? Its also hard for my feet to fit on the break and shifter without hitting the crash bar. Thanks you. Maybe I'm just getting old.
I ride a Harley and luv my heal-to-shifter, so that was what I planned to do when I bought the Goldwing. I'm glad I decided to ride my friends bike with the Kuryakin floorboards and heal-toe-shifter before I bought all of that stuff. It's just not the same. Doesn't feel comfortable or natural at all on the Honda. I don't think stretching is going to help you. Ride with the pegs, or get mini floorboards with the toe shifter if you just want more room to rest your foot
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 11:06 AM
Lifetime Premium

When I bought my 2000 GL1500 in 2006, it was loaded with just about everything. It had a heal toe shifter and I rode it for 9 years with no issues. In 2015 when I bought my GL1800 it has stock pegs on it. I've enjoyed the change, and in some ways I can stretch my calves better by moving the position of my feet on the pegs when I'm on the long haul. Either way, I guess I'm just easy to adapt to the situation.

Every man dies, not EVERY man truly LIVES!
Steve
GWRRA
1980 CB750 * 1979 GL1000 * 1982 GL1100 *
2000 GL1500 * 2009 GL1800 Airbag
IDMWT #99 (Finally admitted because I like the sound of #99)

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 02:21 PM

Garage
I found that I was missing up-shifts due to the tight clearance between the left peg and the shifter. It took me a little while to get used to the boards but I am good with them now. Our last M&G taught me to raise them before stopping on poor surfaces so my footing is more secure.

Bob
2012 ABS "Red Ghost"
IDMWT 65
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode