Product reviews - Honda Goldwing Forums
 8Likes

post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Product reviews

We are adding a thread which will be a place to provide Product Reviews for interested parties. This area is to be threated as in accordance to what we all know to be acceptable by the standards for the GWOF.

This is not a place for attacks on specific manufactures or vendors. If there is a product that is not to expectation it is to reviewed with respectful criticism.

Additionally this is not a thread that is to be hijacked in topic (we have other areas for that).

Any vicious or callous remarks will be deleted and if need be action towards the poster. The same treatment will be held to anyone HiJacking the discussion.

Let's make this a productive Thread as was the intent of the Member who suggested it. This thread will also become a Sticky and thereby at the top of the discussion page.

Product Reviews - Let's Begin

Whoever said a woman can't make up their mind never met a Male Motorcycle Rider

GWOF IB COUPLE #2

MEMBER GWOF IB TRIO #1/Overall #4

FR #91
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Drink Holders

I decided I would break down and add drink holders to our trike. I am not one that wants to clean a mug or to be sipping through a straw when I'm riding so in lieu of Butler Cups or such these are what I got. The 1st one for me, the 2nd one for her.

http://wingstuff.com/products/33242-...-drink_holders

And my review:

I like that it is small in size and not clunky in the cockpit. I also like that it is about the perfect size for a bottle of water. The cozy that comes with it is a bit small for the holder and as such probably will require some modification.

If you read some of the Wingstuff reviews the people talk about the plastic mount breaking after a bit. I will keep an eye on mine for fatigue however it could be that they overtightened the screws in the handlebar control when installing.

Overall for price and function on a scale of 1-10 I would give this an 8.

http://wingstuff.com/products/33240-...-drink_holders

And my review:

Again much of the above review in the way this item functions but in addition I really like that it is easily detached when jaNICE isn't riding with me. That makes it one less thing to keep an eye on. Again holds a bottle of water really well.

She has not used it yet so I will yield a strong review only on that point.

Overall for a Fossil - a 7 but that is because of no feedback from J.

Whoever said a woman can't make up their mind never met a Male Motorcycle Rider

GWOF IB COUPLE #2

MEMBER GWOF IB TRIO #1/Overall #4

FR #91
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014, 04:33 PM

Thanks fossil. Now I have to go out and buy something for my wing so I can give a review.
What better way is there to find out about products quality and usage than the forum.

Eastern Pa.
1982 Goldwing Aspencade

post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014, 08:33 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
I just received my Powerlet jacket and glove liner kits.
1st impression I like both. It got jacket in XL and gloves in small-medium size. Jacket seems well made, fits really good not skin tight and not baggy. Neck zips way up high and is fleece lined. Glove liners are made out a material like spandex not really thin, nor thick. Jacket kit came with the wireless dual control. Sync with the jacket no problem. Put the jacket and glove liners on with the jacket set at the 105watt setting. Turned on the jacket and in 2 seconds I could feel the heat, same for the glove liners.

I will give a more detailed report after my 450+ mile ride in the morning when I is leave should be low 30's.

But right now happy with everything I saw.

Ok here is my review.
Already had the bike wired for my Sedici Hotwired gloves. 18 gauge wire to the battery from sedici.

I did not change over to the PowerLet cable and it was 16 gauge to the battery.

Left my house at 0500 Friday morning for the run down south to the Texas meet and greet. Temps was 42 and winds out of the south about 20+ . I got the jacket with the dual wireless controller, took about 5 seconds to sync up with the jacket. Easy peasy to do. I also got the powerlet glove liners. They are very thin and feel like spandex and come with a stand alone controller for them. I put the liners in my regular riding gloves which are just leather and turned them on after about 10 miles, hands started getting cold. Ran them at about 20 percent setting and they kept my hands warm. Cranked them up one time to make and a minute later had them off as they were cooking me. Gets hot fast. Love the glove liners no doubt they are gonna be great. Ran the gloves off the wireless dual controller.

Now for the jacket, if I would have went by the sizing chart on Powerlet website I would have ordered a large, but when I talked to a powerlet rep he said the jacket need to be one size larger than what there website says, so I ordered x-large. The jacket fit perfect was not spandex tight and was not loose fitting just right. I left the jacket set on the 105watt setting and about 30 miles into the ride I started getting chilled, so on came the jacket I started out at max setting and about 3 seconds I could feel the heat. Quickly I cranked the knob down to around 20-30 percent, and that kept me very comfortable through out the ride. Jacket seems very well made and the fleece neck keeps your neck warm and comes up high enough that you don't get that draft down the back of the neck.

Overall impression, I think it is very good heated gear, and love the wireless controller to run it with.

I was wearing a Sedici jacket waterproof and pants same brand. I was wearing a cool comfort thin long sleeve shirt and the Powerlet heated jacket and the sedici jacket. Helmet was a Nolan -104 .
I am not knocking any other heated gear brand, whatever your happy with , go for it.

I am very happy with my purchase of powerlet.

Current ride
2006 GL1800 Arctic White
1995 1500SE
IDMWT #37
IBA #-50334
Darkside # 1644 Michelin Alpine PA3 ZP
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Cleet certified Firearms instructor since 1980
Concealed carry Firearms instructor
GWOF IB #2 With BIG KEN
Best stress reliever I ever bought until I had the blowout

Hero's dont wear capes, they wear DOG TAGS

Terry
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-14-2014, 08:24 PM

Okay, this section seems like a GREAT idea!! I'll throw my hat in the ring...

I just received my Joe Rocket Skyline 2.0 Goldwing Edition mesh jacket. I've been suffering with a too-hot/too-cold/non-breathable jacket for years, and I finally pulled the trigger on this one.

I was pleased with the construction and features, which are in keeping with the high quality of the previous JR equipment that I've owned (gloves, pants, jackets, helmet).

When I put the jacket on, on a HOT (for here, anyway!) day, around 90 degrees F, I was amazed. The slightest breeze passes through the jacket instantly, cooling the skin. It felt like I had air conditioning! Finally, I can wear my protective, armored jacket, even in the hottest weather!! It also comes with a (purportedly, at least) 100% waterproof liner, which doubles as a nice looking jacket on its own - handy while traveling, if the weather turns cool in the evening.

Of course, the gold-thread-embroidered GoldWing emblem across the back, the "Honda" emblems on the sleeves, and the small GoldWing emblem on the chest don't hurt any, either. After all, I'm PROUD to own a 'Wing!!

Anyway, the jacket is well made, seems to do its job admirably, has full "CE" rated armor, and is very reasonably priced. I can recommend them!

'97 GL1500SE, Glacier Pearl White
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-14-2014, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh434 View Post
Okay, this section seems like a GREAT idea!! I'll throw my hat in the ring...

I just received my Joe Rocket Skyline 2.0 Goldwing Edition mesh jacket. I've been suffering with a too-hot/too-cold/non-breathable jacket for years, and I finally pulled the trigger on this one.

I was pleased with the construction and features, which are in keeping with the high quality of the previous JR equipment that I've owned (gloves, pants, jackets, helmet).

When I put the jacket on, on a HOT (for here, anyway!) day, around 90 degrees F, I was amazed. The slightest breeze passes through the jacket instantly, cooling the skin. It felt like I had air conditioning! Finally, I can wear my protective, armored jacket, even in the hottest weather!! It also comes with a (purportedly, at least) 100% waterproof liner, which doubles as a nice looking jacket on its own - handy while traveling, if the weather turns cool in the evening.

Of course, the gold-thread-embroidered GoldWing emblem across the back, the "Honda" emblems on the sleeves, and the small GoldWing emblem on the chest don't hurt any, either. After all, I'm PROUD to own a 'Wing!!

Anyway, the jacket is well made, seems to do its job admirably, has full "CE" rated armor, and is very reasonably priced. I can recommend them!
What did it set you back and where did you buy it? The mice took a toll on my Joe Rocket jacket last winter (Should have kept it in the house instead of my shop, and will from now on.)

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." ~ George Orwell

Kevin
1995 1500 Aspencade named "Cochise"
1985 1200 Aspencade named "Tatanka"
IDMWT club #18
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-15-2014, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatanka View Post
What did it set you back and where did you buy it? The mice took a toll on my Joe Rocket jacket last winter (Should have kept it in the house instead of my shop, and will from now on.)
I got mine from Motosport.com. Of course, everything coming to Canada costs a premium, but even so, my total price was about $250CDN, taxes, shipping etc. all in. I see that leatherup.com has them for as low as $170.99USD right now, with free shipping.

They can be had in various color combinations, including black, gray, and wine. As I have loooong arms, I bought the size large/tall and, lo and behold!!! Sleeves long enough for ME!!

Honestly, this jacket exceeded my expectations, by quite a margin.

'97 GL1500SE, Glacier Pearl White

Last edited by mh434; 08-15-2014 at 01:44 AM.
post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-15-2014, 08:03 AM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
This is a review of the Veskimo Cooling Vest I bought myself and the wife last summer.

http://www.veskimo.com/body-cooling-vest-products.php

Very Lightweight and fits great. It is a mesh vest with lots of little tubes running throughout the vest. The research I did said the concept was for the Nasa Astronauts.
The vest uses a 12Volt DC power cord or you can purchase a rechargeable battery that will run the vest about 6 hours until a charge is needed. I have both.

I test rode the vest in the upper 90ís a couple days and really could feel the difference. Itís made for wearing under a jacket or a vest to block the wind and that is how it keeps you cool.

I first tried the vest using frozen water bottles, but that worked but not great. I then made my own ice blocks using Tupperware molds, which would fit into the ice chest. You then put about 20 Oz of water in the chest flip the switch on, and the 12 volt pump circulates the water over the ice and then through the vest. When you first turn it on you swear someone just poured ice water down your spine. You feel wet but are not.

The water connection is leak proof and spill proof and can be undone one handed.

The wife and I rode to Tulsa Ok last summer and both wore the vest and she loved it, around 95F during the trip. We were both wearing our waterproof riding gear and we would have cooked with them on without some type of cooling.

Simple setup, great customer service. The owner called me twice to see how the vest worked and how we liked them

Not cheap, but well worth the money.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo%20(1).jpg
Views:	243
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	92161   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo%20(2).JPG
Views:	228
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	92169   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo%20(3).jpg
Views:	236
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	92177   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo%20(4).jpg
Views:	228
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	92185  

Current ride
2006 GL1800 Arctic White
1995 1500SE
IDMWT #37
IBA #-50334
NRA LIFE MEMBER
GWOF IB #2 With BIG KEN

Terry
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-15-2014, 07:40 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Ist Gear Pants and Socks (Heated)
I bought these during the winter to give them a try. Warwagon had the socks and told me about them.

I bought the socks and pants as a set, and got to try them out on a very long trip. I just used one controller to run both and they both work great. Makes a big difference if you ride in some really cold weather.

I bought mine at Cycle Gear because its close to me and they have a great warranty program on what they sell.

For the price you can't beat them. Still not knocking any other brands of heated gear, they all have good stuff, its just the cost that drove me they way i went.

Current ride
2006 GL1800 Arctic White
1995 1500SE
IDMWT #37
IBA #-50334
NRA LIFE MEMBER
GWOF IB #2 With BIG KEN

Terry
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-15-2014, 08:10 PM

Location: Wheatland. Missouri on Pomme De Terre Lake 2008 GL1800 IDMWT #63
Garage
Hit-Air inflatable riding vests. http://www.safermoto.com/air-bag-vests/jv-b/ The wife and I have been wearing them for about 4 months now and love them. They are mesh so the are good to wear in 90-95 degree weather. They get a little uncomfortable any hotter than that. I'm a big guy so the 4X fits snug, but not to bad. Feel a little paranoid when I don 't wear it.

I've seen videos of a racer crashing at over 100 mph and he walked away without a scratch. Do we expect that? Probably not, but protection for our upper body can't hurt. At $350 per vest they seem a little expensive, but we feel our life is worth a little more than that. Overall we would purchase again in a heartbeat.

Alan & Carol (RIP, PistolPete, Prissy & Loki ),

Proud member #63 of the IDMWT Club.
Darkside # 1696
Triple Darkside;
Front, Bridgestone Battle Ax BT 45
Rear, Bridgestone Driveguard RF
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode