GL1500 questions - Honda Goldwing Forums

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

GL1500 questions

I bought this bike as a barn find. Just got it out of the shop and i'm not sure if he done the carbs right or not.

I know the bikes tend to have a flat spot during take off.
I have that and also notice that if i'm cruising and crank the accelerator, it also has a flat spot before picking up speed.

is this normal or did he mess up?

i also notice during warm up on choke it sounds like it is sucking air from carbs. back off the choke and the sucking sound dissapears and the idle is irratic.

What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013, 06:46 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
A carb sync may have not been done.

IDMHT#1
Go Navy!
Retired trike builder/motorcycle tech.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013, 07:12 PM
Banned

Send a message via Skype™ to johnocooper
ANything is possible BUT I had EXACTLY the same issue after my GL1500 sat for four years. I took it to my regular guy, twice, to a supposed GL1500 expert and it got better but had the flat spot. A mechanic (looked like he was not old enough to drive) in Kansas spotted the issue; a pin-hole in a diaphragm. Replaced the parts and it runs - perfect. Lots of so-called experts could not fnd the issue.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

since i haven't really had a chance to ride it, i don't know what is NORMAL for these bikes. I had thought about replacing the seat but i'm now thinking a custom made seat may be in order. I'm a little thick and the wide front part of the seat causes my left leg to gramp almost imediatley.
I don't know how he cleaned the carbs or what he done with them but i'm running seafoam in my gas. 100 miles so far. Still a smooth ride.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013, 07:23 PM
Banned

Send a message via Skype™ to johnocooper
What is normal is the engine runs super smooth and there are no flat-spots whatsoever. I ran enough seafoam through mine to fill a bathtub and it cured the off-idle issue quickly. The roll-on flat spot was the diaphram in the carb, once replaced, the machine (no longer mine) runs perfect. I met little brother in August in Dodge City and rode the 1500, it was nice. Ran perfect.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

im also debating on weather to keep it or sell it. It is a beautiful bike but still needs minor things. Along with my left leg cramping, the engine gaurds get in the way of finding the brake pedal and the down shift peg. I also have a 1100 shadow and so far, it just seems like neither bike fits me.
I'll try to get things worked out on the goldwing. Maybe it is just a matter of getting used to it.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmarosalinda View Post
im also debating on weather to keep it or sell it. It is a beautiful bike but still needs minor things. Along with my left leg cramping, the engine gaurds get in the way of finding the brake pedal and the down shift peg. I also have a 1100 shadow and so far, it just seems like neither bike fits me.
I'll try to get things worked out on the goldwing. Maybe it is just a matter of getting used to it.
The first thing I'd try is to synchronize the carbs. If you can't get a steady vacuum level on the synch gauges on the TWO carbs at various rpms levels then you've got a vacuum leak, and most likely what I've just corrected and Fossil92 Bill corrected shortly before me. If you CAN hold a steady level on the vacuum gauges at various rpm levels, then you have a tight vacuum system and can synchronize the carbs.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." ~ George Orwell

Kevin
1995 1500 Aspencade named "Cochise"
1985 1200 Aspencade named "Tatanka"
IDMWT club #18
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013, 03:51 AM

If you're having carburetor issues you might consider Randakk's Carburetor Rebuilding services. He is the best I'm aware of. I'm not sure he does GL1500 carbs but it wouldn't hurt to ask.

The value of our lives comes not in what we do or whom we know, but by who we are.

My Gold Wings

Vietnam Combat Veteran-11B40
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013, 04:16 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Sounds like you've gotten pointed in the right direction. As John said normal is a smooth running machine, quick starting, very little chock, & not many issues.

Wings are certainly not for everyone but I would suggest you put the time into making it run correctly before you discard it. Give yourself a chance after it's running properly to get used to it.

Whoever said a woman can't make up their mind never met a Male Motorcycle Rider

GWOF IB COUPLE #2

MEMBER GWOF IB TRIO #1/Overall #4

FR #91
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

The more i ride the bike the better i like it. I find it a bit difficult to hike my leggs up to find the shifter or brake. I think a smaller engine gaurd would help also.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode