High speed vibration - Honda Goldwing Forums
 57Likes

post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

High speed vibration

While on a ride yesterday my riding buddy decided to open his bike up on a long stretch of desert highway. I decided to follow, it did feel good. My 2005 Wing keeps up well with my friends Concours 14. If we were on a track, not the street, I'm sure I would be a spectator. Anyhow, I got up to an indicated 120mph and a vibration started, which made me back off. It seemed to be in the chassis, not the handlebars or fairing. It was smooth right up to 110mph. It's a 2005, 68K miles, new rear drive unit and propeller shaft, recent Dunlop E4 tires, Centramatic balancers, Traxxion suspension all around. The easy answer is to not go that fast. I do wonder and worry that what ever caused the vibration is a fault, and will get worse, so I'm curious as to what caused it. Why is it OK at 110 and not 120? Do the Centramatic balancers not like high speeds? Front wheel bearings or steering head bearings at fault? Is the new propeller shaft not balanced well? So I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar experience and any ideas as to the cause of this. For the record, at 120mph, it felt like it still had a bit left .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Chopin, please elaborate. Is the GoldWing not safe at speed? Is there an upper limit to it's capabilities? I'm not really afraid to take a bike up to those speeds for moments at a time. If Honda designed that bike not to exceed some lower speed, they should have put in a governor. Surely I'm not the first to take a Wing up to those speeds. It's a much better built bike than some I've had up to those speeds in my past, thinking of a few British built vertical twins I rode in my youth.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard68 View Post
Chopin, please elaborate. Is the GoldWing not safe at speed? Is there an upper limit to it's capabilities? I'm not really afraid to take a bike up to those speeds for moments at a time. If Honda designed that bike not to exceed some lower speed, they should have put in a governor. Surely I'm not the first to take a Wing up to those speeds. It's a much better built bike than some I've had up to those speeds in my past, thinking of a few British built vertical twins I rode in my youth.
No the bike is fine at that speed but Chopin isn't. I think his limit is about 70 and that is being generous .
The bike will get up to around 127 mph , measured with my Zumo 590, before it runs out of power. It was rock solid at that speed. I know Dyna beads upper spec is 105 mph. So my guess is the Centramatic balancers.
Chopin, crownfire, alwims and 4 others like this.

2017 Red Level 3
2006 Titanium Level 3
Traxxion suspension
WBRA senior member
IBA member 30028
IDMWT #100
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 06:42 PM

Mine has been to 115. Not sure if that's the bike limit, but it was my limit on the road I was on.

Now, Lee going over 55 would not shock me, but him beating anyone to an exit would.
fossil92, NREMTP, alwims and 4 others like this.

Mark
It matters not how good you are if an angel pees on the flintlock of your musket. Old German Military saying.
2010 Honda GL1800
GWOF IB Hat #1 with WARWGN
IDMWT #86

post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

Ahh, good to see Jinx had a top speed run. I imagine, what with the built in speedo error, I was actually up to about 105-110. Interesting thing about the Dyna beads, topping out at 105. I wonder why. The Centramatics had no warnings about top speed, but in reality, it seemed like the tires/wheels became unbalanced, it was not a violent shake, just a vibration. If that is what is was, I'll quit worrying. And, for what it's worth, quit doing that high a speed. Anyone else have input about the Centramatics?
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 08:50 PM

Garage
at those speeds all you need to do is hita rock or a pot hole, and it's good by. I know a guy that has a Kawasaki ZX 1400, same motor as in the Concours but not tuned down. He hits 180 on the street, he's nuts and awful lucky. (I had an 09 Concours 1400) never took it that fast.

It's a motorcycle, expect wind!!
IF YOU ARE BORN TWICE YOU WILL DIE ONCE
IF YOU ARE BORN ONCE YOU WILL DIE TWICE
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe in calif View Post
at those speeds all you need to do is hita rock or a pot hole, and it's good by. I know a guy that has a Kawasaki ZX 1400, same motor as in the Concours but not tuned down. He hits 180 on the street, he's nuts and awful lucky. (I had an 09 Concours 1400) never took it that fast.
I've always been told over 70 you hit something you're dead anyway, might as well let it stretch its legs! I don't think I've ever been to a hundred and twenty, but definitely a hundred hundred and ten no quiver on the atpck F6B
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 07:43 AM

At that speed it could have been wind sheer on any of the Tupperware or windshield. Something as minor as having the windshield vent open could cause a vibration. Iím betting it was the centamatics also but Iím surprised you were able to isolate the vibration to the wheels and frame. Iíve been at 100 with my 2015 and thatís fast enough for me.

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jinx likes this.

Steve

2015 Goldwing NAV/ABS
IDMWT #81
Fredericksburg, Virginia

post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

The vibration was minor, but enough to make me back off at that speed. It was definitely in the pegs and seat, not the bars or between my legs. I never took the time to check out my mirrors. As I said, at that speed I was taking no chances. I will say that this GoldWing continues to amaze me, performance beyond what I expect.
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 11-16-2019, 01:39 PM
Administrator

Garage
I have Centramatics on my Wing ('09) and have seen an observed 220 kph (136mph) on the clock, no worries. Don't really know what your issue might be, but a large fairing equipped m/c book says never exceed 80 mph...if you believe that. To make a point at any speed a brick wall is deadly.

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in