Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grade/octane of gas

22K views 21 replies 18 participants last post by  GetAway 
#1 ·
What grade or octane of gas do you use? What mileage do you get?

#3 ·
87 and get usually 36-38mpg driving 75mph
have tried higher octane and did not change mileage

Reactions: 823Jim
#5 ·
87 or what is available. Last trip averaged 42 at speeds up to 80 mph.

#7 ·
If not Costco or BJ's gas the cheapest crap available . I believe that in the mountain states that can be as low as 85 octane . On my 2006 around 32 mpg unless I was in the high altitude states when it would go up as high as 45 mph. Ran like a top until it was totaled with 220,000 miles on it. On my 2017 use the same fuel practices and get around 38 to 42 around town . Don't remember what type of riding I was doing or where but at different times I did over 300 miles on a tank of gas on my 2017. And that was not in high altitude states.

#8 ·
I use 91 octane which is premium grade here. It's not any better than 87 or 85 just a different burn rate. I average 38 mpg. We have 85 ethanol free at Maverick stations but it's expensive.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

#9 ·
The engine is designed for 87 octane. I use that and average 39/40 mpg with a mix of city and highway riding. If I can keep it under 3K RPM the mileage goes up a bit. I've gotten 48 mpg in the mountains just tootling along. On the interstate getting from one place to another at 80 mph it has gone down to 36 mpg.

#12 ·
I only put premium in the tank before winter for storage purposes, premium seems to have a better shelf life than regular. Yes the GL engine is designed for 87/regular and it runs just as well even though I hate ethanol laced gas, and 91 or higher only benefits the producer not the bike. I run 94 in my track bike, but like many high performance bikes, it was designed to be run on higher octane fuel. If I were to put a PCIII or V on it, I'd run actual race fuel, but I'm never going to outrun Marquez or Rossi so it's kinda moot.>:)

#14 ·
I am with Mark, 87 octane most of the time ethanol free. 40 to 42mpg. As it only 5.5 gallons when I fill up I kind of splurge so I do not have to use additives. Every 4th tank a can of BG 44k. As i want the valves to stay clean.

#16 ·
not sure what it says about my GL1500 engine, but i found my bike starts easier, and runs smoother on top-grade at the pump. not sure of the mileage, as i have not checked it recently. too much snow and ice on the roads now, to check it out.

~Travis

#17 ·
One of the best things you can do for your Wing (any model) is to use a fuel injector cleaner periodically to the tank of fuel. EFI or carb, it will prevent sticky carb slides and keep your injectors at optimum output. Worked wonders on my 1200 and 1500, and it's a preventative thing on my '09 1800. Supposedly, higher octane fuel burns a tad hotter than regular, but I have no specs to back that up so as to engine damage I can't offer anything on that. But hey, it does cost more so why pay more? Over a full riding season that could be several free tanks depending on how much you ride.

#18 ·
I've tired them all, 87, 89, 91, and 92 non-ethanol. I get 36 to 38 mph no matter the octane grade and I usually drive 3000 to 3200 rpm. I'm limited to the max 65 mph here in OreGone, 99% of the roads, 55 mph. I do find that the non-ethanol gives me more pickup and it "feels" like more power.

I'm going back to 87 instead of any of the other grades to save a few pennies and I'll add Techtron or Sea Foam or some other injector cleaner every 3000 to 5000 miles. I change my oil and filter every 5000 files (easy number to remember even if I use synthetic oil. Oil is cheap and I feel 5000 miles is enough.

I want to thank everyone for your input.

This post has been deleted
#20 ·
I don't. have the K&N filter, just the regular Honda filter. Using any grade I get 200 to 220 miles per tank and I ride in the 60 mph and 3000 - 3500 rpm range.

I use pure gas 87 octane and I have gotten 48.7 MPG over the last 1147 miles. Mix of Highway and city. I am mostly at about 5000ish feet in altitude.
I've seen 40 mpg only once and that was two up along the Clackamas River where you can't drive more than 50 mph, mostly 35 -40 due to the twisties and they really are twisty. Also if I try to take the corners faster I get this banging on top of my helmet :laugh2:

#22 ·
My speedo show 3+ mph faster than my TomTom or Zumo 396 reports. 50+ mpg how slow? I have never seen more than 40 no matter how slow I drive. I guess I drive my Wing like a motorcycle and not my F250. I have a smart car and the best I've seen with that is 38 mpg.

On the interstates what is your high speed? I see 36 to 38 mph doing 70-75 mph which is breaking the law >:) here in Oregon with our 65 mph top speed on the freeway in the middle of nowhere. Other than the freeway in the middle of nowhere such as the eastern section of the state, the limit is 55 mph. Really screaming huh??

I am not trying to be a smart butt or disrespectful of you so don't take this message as being such.

What year and model is your bike?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.