Slow charging 2018 Goldwing DCT Tour - Honda Goldwing Forums
 1Likes

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-26-2019, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Slow charging 2018 Goldwing DCT Tour

Hi,
Need to figure out a way to wire up a port to hook up my slow charger without having to remove the seat every time. Anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-26-2019, 11:18 PM

Amazon has some cables for about $5 each. See attached picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tetra-Tenica Cable.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	266273  
Chopin likes this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-26-2019, 11:44 PM

Install a Powerlet socket,

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-28-2019, 10:01 AM
Administrator

Garage
If you are referring to the main battery, the Optimate III comes with a pigtail that can be left accessible for plugging the charging unit into. I keep mine tucked in behind the left side cover, but you can leave it exposed for easy access.

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 07:56 AM

I have a pigtail coming out the side cover for my heated gear. I then have an SAE to Coax adapter
with which I plug in my battery maintainer.

https://www.warmnsafe.com/collection...battery-tender

2018 White Gold Wing Tour DCT
2016 Suzuki DL650A
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-29-2019, 05:25 PM

Garage
Not sure why you are removing the seat at all. Last year on my 2018 Tour DCT I pulled the left side cover off then connected the Battery Tender slow charger with medium size alligator clips to the battery. The left side cover has no bolts just plastic posts that snap into grommets. To get it off you have to open the left saddle bag then pull on the side cover to release it from the grommets. Cruiseman has some videos on YouTube that show how to remove and install the right side panel but the left one is the same. I simply stored the panel beneath the motorcycle during this storage period.

This year I won't have to remove the panel since the Honda accessory plug was installed by me in the panel that houses the parking brake. That accessory plug was installed to give me access to the battery for running an air compressor or charging my iPhone or Cardo Packtalk while parked. Connecting a Battery Tender through it is just another convenient thing it can do.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:45 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
Not sure why you are removing the seat at all. Last year on my 2018 Tour DCT I pulled the left side cover off then connected the Battery Tender slow charger with medium size alligator clips to the battery. The left side cover has no bolts just plastic posts that snap into grommets. To get it off you have to open the left saddle bag then pull on the side cover to release it from the grommets. Cruiseman has some videos on YouTube that show how to remove and install the right side panel but the left one is the same. I simply stored the panel beneath the motorcycle during this storage period.

This year I won't have to remove the panel since the Honda accessory plug was installed by me in the panel that houses the parking brake. That accessory plug was installed to give me access to the battery for running an air compressor or charging my iPhone or Cardo Packtalk while parked. Connecting a Battery Tender through it is just another convenient thing it can do.
what model of charger are you using? and is it the official Honda accessory socket you have installed? Would like to do something similar on my bike but already have an Optimate charger.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 09:31 PM

You can buy the same extensions that come with the Battery Tender. They bolt straight to the battery and you can put the other end sticking out of the side cover hole or under the seat near the passenger grab handle. I bought a second cable and ran it from the same spot as my battery tender cable and under the seat and inside the trunk where I used the loose end to wire in a second ACC plug to charge my cell phone while riding. When I ride on long trips I plug the battery side tender cable to the cable to the trunk. When I use the battery tender, I unplug those two and plug the tender into the battery side cable. I never have to take off the side cover or the seat. But note: If you leave the battery tender cable connected to the trunk cable, the ACC plug is always live but fused. Which can be a good thing if you need to charge an IPOD while stopping to eat or something.

I have been using a Battery Tender for over 10 years and my current battery is 4 years old. I like the fact that it is not really a charger but a maintainer and when the green light is on the battery is good. If it is red it is charging which is always after I park or do something to the bike where I turn the key on and off. A Battery Tender will not charge a dead battery.

I also have a Lithium Jumper Battery with a cable attached. When I'm riding and have disconnected the Tender, I connect it to the Jumper Battery. I can do it while sitting on the bike before backing out of the garage.

I don't like to use the slow charger function of a bigger battery charger because they can over charge a battery. This is especially noticeable on lead acid battery that you have to add water. They will boil the water out and then the battery is toast.

Terry Dill of San Antonio

It's not the destination, but the getting there.

Last edited by TmDILL; Yesterday at 09:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode